Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    Agree with the cause but I pray for the day I see the little soapy pricks in public so I can two foot them. Absolute cunts and hope one runs on silverstone to get splatted across the track at 180mph. 
    So, so hard. I bet you'd start with a bespectacled teenage student, or a girl. 
  • Options
    https://www.tiktok.com/@thenewsagents/video/7250548306953243931

This is class, we love you oil we do, oh oil we love you!
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Agree with the cause but I pray for the day I see the little soapy pricks in public so I can two foot them. Absolute cunts and hope one runs on silverstone to get splatted across the track at 180mph. 
    isn't that the majority of them? also unwashed and with green hair? 
  • Options
    How sad that posters are making jokes about the appearance of others, rather than trying to understand the impacts of Climate Change.

People understand the impacts of Climate Change

they just don’t agree with these protests. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Na, half of them don't know if they are male, female or goat.
    That made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

No, as i posted elsewhere, the majority i saw on Blackheath looked like retired professional people.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How sad that posters are making jokes about the appearance of others, rather than trying to understand the impacts of Climate Change.

How does change come about if it isn't brought to people's attention?  I don't agree with all their methods, but at least it has got people talking and hopefully some of the information given in this thread will make a few more people think about the impact that opening up new sources of oil will have. There are alternatives, not least a huge ramping up of renewables.

A few minutes of disruption at a major sporting event, is nothing compared to the disruption that young people of today will face when they are older.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

The tactics they're using you mean? I guess big protest marches, lobbying MP's and signing petitions for those who feel they want to do something, would be better received by the general public, but easier for the authorities to control or ignore.

Someone suggested they should form a political party, but the general public don't see climate change for the priority it should be. If they did, the Green party would have more than one MP and poll more than 2.7% of the vote (2019). The Government probably takes the view it's not an issue that overly concerns your average voter and can therefore be given low or no priority.
  • Options
    The Greens got a million votes nationwide a couple of elections ago, but only one MP.
    The system is not set up to give ‘environmentalists’ much of a political voice, which might explain the direct action some of them take.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The Greens got a million votes nationwide a couple of elections ago, but only one MP.
    The system is not set up to give ‘environmentalists’ much of a political voice, which might explain the direct action some of them take.
    Unless we get proportional representation the system only supports the Two main parties. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Every year we have an international COP (Conference of the Parties) climate change conference, after several days of heated debate everyone agrees to do cut emissions and take action to mitigate climate change in the third world. Usually because it's a political compromise whatever is agreed is not quite enough and then we get the inevitable backsliding. Even the one held in Glasgow was a bit of a joke, our then PM turned up made a speech before jumping on a plane back to London. 

This week the Guardian reported that the UK was going to drop its promise to fund international climate change commitments (ok this is at the moment unofficial rather than government policy but the Graun claimed to have seen memos to that effect). Plans to tax domestic flights have been cut etc and we're supposed to be aiming for net-zero on climate change emissions by 2050, another target that looks likely to be missed and in any case is far too unambitious. Yet there are apparently plans to issue dozens of new licences to explore for oil and gas in the North Sea while a plan to open a new coal mine in Cumbria was agreed last December and Rishi Sunak had to be embarrassed into attending the COP27 conference, that was after he banned the King. 

So how do we take this issue more seriously? We have one Green MP who's stepping down at the next general election, I regularly see more pro-Brexit supporters on news programmes/discussions such as Question Time etc than Green party politicians so the media aren't actively pushing the debate. As an island nation we should be leading the world in on and off-shore wind turbines but there's currently a moratorium covering on-shore wind turbine construction (the nimby crowd don't like them).Even Ukraine installed more on-shore wind turbines than we did last year. 

The protests although irritating are important to keep the issue on the front pages/in the news bulletins, the experience otherwise is that everyone agrees to take it seriously and do stuff and then as above promises get first forgotten and then broken. 

• Options
    FSLN1 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Every year we have an international COP (Conference of the Parties) climate change conference, after several days of heated debate everyone agrees to do cut emissions and take action to mitigate climate change in the third world. Usually because it's a political compromise whatever is agreed is not quite enough and then we get the inevitable backsliding. Even the one held in Glasgow was a bit of a joke, our then PM turned up made a speech before jumping on a plane back to London. 

This week the Guardian reported that the UK was going to drop its promise to fund international climate change commitments (ok this is at the moment unofficial rather than government policy but the Graun claimed to have seen memos to that effect). Plans to tax domestic flights have been cut etc and we're supposed to be aiming for net-zero on climate change emissions by 2050, another target that looks likely to be missed and in any case is far too unambitious. Yet there are apparently plans to issue dozens of new licences to explore for oil and gas in the North Sea while a plan to open a new coal mine in Cumbria was agreed last December and Rishi Sunak had to be embarrassed into attending the COP27 conference, that was after he banned the King. 

So how do we take this issue more seriously? We have one Green MP who's stepping down at the next general election, I regularly see more pro-Brexit supporters on news programmes/discussions such as Question Time etc than Green party politicians so the media aren't actively pushing the debate. As an island nation we should be leading the world in on and off-shore wind turbines but there's currently a moratorium covering on-shore wind turbine construction (the nimby crowd don't like them).Even Ukraine installed more on-shore wind turbines than we did last year. 

The protests although irritating are important to keep the issue on the front pages/in the news bulletins, the experience otherwise is that everyone agrees to take it seriously and do stuff and then as above promises get first forgotten and then broken. 

Still don’t agree with the protests 
  • Options
    Still don’t agree with the protests 

Experience tells me that without these protests the issue of climate change will quickly drop off the front pages until the next well meaning but underachieving international conference. In the meantime the world will keep warming up and the sea will carry on rising by the predicted 1metre by the end of the century flooding low lying areas of land - including central London but also many other parts of the world? 

How do you suggest that we as a nation take it seriously if our politicians don't do enough and then break or fail to fulfil promises?

• Options
    We’ve endured the JSO stereotypes - Blue/Green haired girls, retired teachers etc but no one has mentioned

Just saying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't see those hurling plastic pigs & beach balls onto the Valley pitch being ridiculed and described in such derogatory terms when fighting for a cause they passionately believed in.

That was as nothing compared to the climate change crisis, the protests and protestors playing to a far bigger audience. Using tactics of throwing stuff onto the playing surface to disrupt play is similar though, this thread starting with criticism of JSO protestors throwing orange confetti and jigsaw puzzles and sitting down on a tennis court at Wimbledon.

The conclusion can only be that for many here, the underlying cause the JSO'ers support doesn't justify their actions, because for CARD's cause it was acceptable to use such tactics to grab public attention, and they were applauded for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Its causing total chaos on the roads that people I know have a problem with, no chucking paint on a bit of grass. Therefore, completely unrelatable to Charlton fans throwing pigs on a pitch.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I'd just run the four eyed lttle c***s over.

Btw, where you been living for the last 10 years, Cloudworm land? Those people you so eloquently describe as "g**ls" may in actual fact be gay / queer / lezza / he / they / non-binary etc, so please engage the brain before banding vulgar insults like g**l about
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    I didn't see those hurling plastic pigs & beach balls onto the Valley pitch being ridiculed and described in such derogatory terms when fighting for a cause they passionately believed in.

That was as nothing compared to the climate change crisis, the protests and protestors playing to a far bigger audience. Using tactics of throwing stuff onto the playing surface to disrupt play is similar though, this thread starting with criticism of JSO protestors throwing orange confetti and jigsaw puzzles and sitting down on a tennis court at Wimbledon.

The conclusion can only be that for many here, the underlying cause the JSO'ers support doesn't justify their actions, because for CARD's cause it was acceptable to use such tactics to grab public attention, and they were applauded for it.
    We didn’t block the M25 or interrupt other people’s events. 

Ours was targeted within the club. 
  • Options
    Its causing total chaos on the roads that people I know have a problem with, no chucking paint on a bit of grass. Therefore, completely unrelatable to Charlton fans throwing pigs on a pitch.
    No, I get that @ValleyGary. There's a distinction in the tactics they're employing, but not in the characterising of them as a group on here though.

If they did restrict their actions to 'safely' disrupting high profile sports events, or more traditional passive protesting, which wouldn't have the same media impact, would you have more time for them? I don't agree with the traffic disruption mayhem being caused either btw.

Some have suggested they should blockade oil refineries to selectively target their protests, but that would potentially cause supply chain issues with more resulting road chaos in the form of long queues for petrol. Some have done it here before and served time for it too. They don't do that for fun knowing the consequences.

If they did more targeting of 55 Tufton Street and it's occupants, the Government's think tank populated with climate change deniers apparently, would that get more of the public on their side I wonder.
  • Options
    Genuine question. Why was it ok for us to disrupt sporting events at the CARD protests but not for just stop oil at the cricket and Wimbledon? I don’t have an answer. 
    We demonstrated at our own event. We didn't go out of our way to deliberately disrupt the lives of people that had no connection with our grievance. 
    These protesters grievances are with the world's politicians and so are mine. Ironically, these dicks don't have my support or sympathy just my contempt, despite having similar desires for an end result.
  • Options
    Instead of complaining about JSO protesters on here, why not write to your MP and tell them to stop new licences being issued for oil fields that will take many years to come onstream, so will have no impact on prices or energy security. Ask them to increase renewables instead, which are cheaper and much quicker to get going.

Take away the cause of the protests and you take away the need for protests.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!