Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    We have a Government that is about to ditch its promises on Climate Change and issue new licences for oil and gas exploration, this mustn't happen and people are risking being put in prison by a Government that has removed the right to peaceful protest. We're becoming more like Russia every day. 
    Мусор
  • Options
    We have a Government that is about to ditch its promises on Climate Change and issue new licences for oil and gas exploration, this mustn't happen and people are risking being put in prison by a Government that has removed the right to peaceful protest. We're becoming more like Russia every day. 
    The government have not stopped the right to peaceful protest. 

JSO are still protesting. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/15/police-to-get-new-powers-to-shut-down-protests-before-disruption-begins

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/advice_information/pcsc-policing-act-protest-rights/
  • Options
    The government have not stopped the right to peaceful protest. 

JSO are still protesting. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/15/police-to-get-new-powers-to-shut-down-protests-before-disruption-begins

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/advice_information/pcsc-policing-act-protest-rights/
    They can still protest and do. 
  • Options
    Don't agree with all of their methods but I can't really see how they could have got the attention of so many people so successfully in any other way to be honest. I guess that's their strategy and it seems to be working.
  • Options
    Don't agree with all of their methods but I can't really see how they could have got the attention of so many people so successfully in any other way to be honest. I guess that's their strategy and it seems to be working.
    From what I can see, the protesters haven't altered the view of the people their protests are effecting the most, Joe Public. And the government bodies / multi national companies with the power to change, aren't being touched by the protests **, so still pretty ineffective on that front too. 

The only thing we're talking about is how ill thought out the protests are.

** The best example of this being - laying in front of the Coca-Cola float at Pride. Surely blokading Coca-Cola Schweppes depots up and down the country would be more direct and also wouldn’t piss off people going about their lives, while probably trying to escape the cost of greed crisis, amongst other things
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    From what I can see, the protesters haven't altered the view of the people their protests are effecting the most, Joe Public. And the government bodies / multi national companies with the power to change, aren't being touched by the protests **, so still pretty ineffective on that front too. 

** The best example of this being - laying in front of the Coca-Cola float at Pride. Surely blokading Coca-Cola Schweppes depots up and down the country would be more direct and also wouldn’t piss off people going about their lives, while probably trying to escape the cost of greed crisis, amongst other things
    One gets on the news and the other doesn't. Pretty simple to understand surely? 
  • Options
    It's all publicity though and creating a talking point. I doubt a protest at a soft drinks depot would get any coverage. As I said, don't agree with all their methods but it's certainly caught the attention which is what they want to do. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

One gets on the news and the other doesn't. Pretty simple to understand surely? 
    But for the 1000th time, it's only being taken in by people who are already in agreement with the SENTIMENT and powerless to change anything or people who just don't care anyway. Central government and Coca-Cola probably don't sit down and watch Newsroom Southeast or Look North, to keep abreast of current affairs, do they?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

So. A canoe then?

Www.amazon.co.uk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all publicity though and creating a talking point. I doubt a protest at a soft drinks depot would get any coverage. As I said, don't agree with all their methods but it's certainly caught the attention which is what they want to do. 
    Is it effective though? Yes it’s got people talking and some will buy in, start to do some research etc and even join the cause. But most of the talking is slating them, how does that help? If anything, people have turned against them and don’t want them to succeed. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Is it effective though? Yes it’s got people talking and some will buy in, start to do some research etc and even join the cause. But most of the talking is slating them, how does that help? If anything, people have turned against them and don’t want them to succeed. 
    I'd be interested to know how many on here  initially didn't want the Government to issue the licences to fossil fuel exploiters, but have now changed their minds because of the actions of JSO. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    9/11 was successful because all of a sudden we were talking about Al Qaeda  :#

How else would we have got to know about their very important message?
  • Options
    That's probably not as funny and clever as it sounded in your head!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    9/11 was successful because all of a sudden we were talking about Al Qaeda  :#

How else would we have got to know about their very important message?
    Well done equating a terrorist attack that left 3000 dead, with a bit of disruption during television events. 

Jesus Christ. 
    Well we have been drawing glorious parallels with a civil rights movement that includes bombing in this thread.... But they were right, so that makes it ok...

Clearly you just don't understand the importance of the cause. Read up on it, very important. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    It's pointing out the idiocy that talking about something means it's working.

The suffragettes killed 5 people in bombing and arson attacks, (one of which was a suffragette).

What's the logical conclusion of these protests? We clearly all agree their cause is correct. I don't remember anyone on this thread (and I may be wrong on this) saying climate change is not an issue. 

Not enough people are talking about it/listening clearly, as the government hasn't yet come out and surrendered to Just Stop Oil.

At what point would people who support them's support end?

After all, it is the most important thing facing us, potentially in human history.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

The suffragettes killed 5 people in bombing and arson attacks, (one of which was a suffragette).

What's the logical conclusion of these protests? We clearly all agree their cause is correct. I don't remember anyone on this thread (and I may be wrong on this) saying climate change is not an issue. 

Not enough people are talking about it/listening clearly, as the government hasn't yet come out and surrendered to Just Stop Oil.

After all, it is the most important thing facing us, potentially in human history.
    When we discover they are actually part of the Texas consortium looking to buy our Club and are intent on prospecting for oil under the Valley. Chancers the lot of 'em! 😉
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

They also run out in front of the Epsom Derby in front of the King's horse. 

People saying that it's not the 'right time or place' for protests have no clue about history. 

But well done for your terrorist point there to prove that we should actually be praising just stop oil for their peaceful nature. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 25
    what a c***. 

Hope someone ruins her kids weddings 
  • Options
    If it had been normal confetti, would that have been okay? It was orange with no harm done, but has again highlighted that the Government's plan for new oil exploration licences is crazy. 

If George Osborne had promoted green energy sources instead of more oil and gas, we would be in a much better position now. The article linked to that tweet shows just how short sighted that decision has proved to be.
    If it’s true it was a JSO intruder it’s not on at all. The colour is irrelevant. 

You seem to imply it’s an obvious / no brainer choice to stop new licences. I’m no expert in this field but prepared to accept there must be logic / counter argument to some measured continued investment in fossil oil. 

If it were truly that simple there would be no debate. 
  • Options
    Such a shame that some people show more anger at throwing a bit of orange confetti, than a decision to open new oil fields that will take so long to come onstream, that will not provide energy security,  but line the pockets of the oil barons. 
  • Options
    Such a shame that some people show more anger at throwing a bit of orange confetti, than a decision to open new oil fields that will take so long to come onstream, that will not provide energy security,  but line the pockets of the oil barons. 
    Who are these oil barons?
  • Options
    Such a shame that some people show more anger at throwing a bit of orange confetti, than a decision to open new oil fields that will take so long to come onstream, that will not provide energy security,  but line the pockets of the oil barons
    Who are these individuals you refer to?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!