Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Meanwhile in Sweden, they're targeting oil tankers, which makes more sense to me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66120290
  • Options
    There is a limit to how many John Lydons one country can take.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in Sweden, they're targeting pil tankers, which makes more sense to me:

Interesting read that. I guess Greta couldn't get tickets for a Wimbledon then 😉

Of course targeting the fossil fuel industry infrastructure directly is preferable, and I'm sure you recall issues last year with JSO protestors blockading refineries, for which some potentially lengthy stays in prison can be the reward for those prepared to do what they believe necessary for the cause they passionately believe in.

I note that the Labour party have committed to end new gas and oil development and not grant new licenses to the exploration companies, a policy consistent with JSO objectives, even though some on here don't agree that it's a worthwhile one. Still, I can't believe the Tory party policy of granting new licenses is really the best way to go in the midst of the climate change crisis.
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    As a result of my career path over the last thirty years I've been aware of the progressive and often ireverrsible damage being done to our planet's environment. Some improvements have taken place during that time but in general the situation continues to worsen and we are now on the cusp of a global crisis.
    I too have been inconvenienced by the protests but we're all drinking in the Last Chance Saloon and if people don't chose to recognise this they are sadly and unwittingly complicit.  Some of you may remember the 2006 documentary by the former US Vice President, Al Gore which won two Oscars.  The film provides an excellent introduction to the situation and I would recommend that anyone who hasn't yet seen it should watch it now.  It's 97 minutes long and will cost you £2.49 (SD Version) to view on You Tube.
    If you haven't already then I implore you to watch it now, you can do so here....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=An+Inconvenient+Truth%2Bmovie

Just click on the blue button to the right of the screen stating 'Buy or Rent' and select SD for £2.49.
    I'd be very surprised if, after watching, your opinion on this subject hasn't been genuinely changed but if that is the case then message me with proof of purchase and I'll gladly pay you the £2.49 that it cost you to watch the film.

Very good
    I sometimes wonder if that Florida thing had gone the other way and Gore had got into power instead of dub-ya, how different the world might be...
  • Options
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the level of compassion and support for the protestors on here. Gives me a bit of hope, anyway
  • Options
    Nah, fuck em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    Meanwhile in Sweden, they're targeting pil tankers, which makes more sense to me:

Interesting read that. I guess Greta couldn't get tickets for a Wimbledon then 😉

Of course targeting the fossil fuel industry infrastructure directly is preferable, and I'm sure you recall issues last year with JSO protestors blockading refineries, for which some potentially lengthy stays in prison can be the reward for those prepared to do what they believe necessary for the cause they passionately believe in.

I note that the Labour party have committed to end new gas and oil development and not grant new licenses to the exploration companies, a policy consistent with JSO objectives, even though some on here don't agree that it's a worthwhile one. Still, I can't believe the Tory party policy of granting new licenses is really the best way to go in the midst of the climate change crisis.
    The counter argument I understand is to do with energy security. 

Who knows what the lesser of two evils are in the short term. 

It’s presumably not a simple choice with various dynamics to consider. If the evidence were overwhelming in one direction I imagine there would be no argument. 
  • Options
    I couldn't help but notice on the JSO site for upcoming speeches/events, there's one scheduled for the 23rd July called the "Beyond Fucked Banquet" Not much other detail there other than how to apply for free tickets, so I don't think I'll be attending on this occasion. I could name a few suitable guest speakers for that though.
  • Options
    Fantastic post @Sensei
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

It’s presumably not a simple choice with various dynamics to consider. If the evidence were overwhelming in one direction I imagine there would be no argument. 

Previous Tory Prime Ministers including Cameron and (astonishingly) Johnson supported reductions in CO2 emissions but more recently both Truss and Sunak have little sympathy for that cause.  Johnson had imposed a ban on further licences being granted for the North Sea oil and gas extraction but I think Truss rescinded these bans.

The point being made about granting licences as improving our energy security is a complete distraction. Almost 40% of our electrical generating capacity is owned by foreign companies following the privatisation of the energy companies during the mid 1980s, prior to this all of our capacity was, like the water industry, completely publicly owned.  Nothing is being done to rectify this, a Private Members bill to force water companies to invest in infrastructure repairs was defeated in Parliament and instead a bill allowing the companies to charge their customers for the necessary remedial works was whipped through the House by this Government. As a result most of us will face increases in water bills of around 40% over the coming few years and the imposed deadline for the completion of the remedial works to prevent sewage discharge into the sea and our rivers has been set at 2030.  In terms of security over 70% of the UK Water industry is owned by corporate investors in 17 different overseas countries including China and Abu Dhabi. These water companies have amassed aggregate debts of £60 billion but have paid £57 billion in dividends to their shareholders since privatisation. Sadly we are becoming all too familiar with the use of the multiplier 'billion'. If compared to units of time then one million would be 11.5 days whereas one billion equates to 31.5 years.  So £57 billion in dividends converted to units of time represents 1795 years.  When privatised, I believe there were 75 water reservoirs in the UK.  After over 30 years of 'investment' from the private sector we've added just one new reservoir despite the population increasing by 12 million during that period.  Think about that when complaining about hosepipe bans.

The fundamental issue of Energy Security is very real and worrying but any investment in North Sea solutions will take 10-15 years to come to fruition.  Our decision to entrust our infrastructure to the vagaries of the 'free market' has culminated with the threat by France, during the post Brexit negotiations on fishing rights when a French MP suggested that they should switch off the electrical supply to the Channel Islands, which originates from France.  The supply is provided by EDF who also supply 10% of the electrical energy to the UK.  EDF is owned by the French government.  Our energy security has been offered on a plate to anyone willing to buy it on global markets for so many years now.

The real opportunities to restore our energy security rests with developing plans for nuclear and hydrogen solutions and also with more investment in wind-farms.  Rather than massive nuclear stations like Sizewell C (being developed by EDF) we should consider the smaller local nuclear power stations such as those being proposed by Rolls Royce. Hydrogen is also a very viable opportunity particularly where plants can be created local to wind-farms where off peak energy (night-time winds) can be used to create Hydrogen which can then be stored and distributed via the gas distribution network.  These are longer term projects which will (rightly) take time although and are unlikely  to make a significant contribution for 20 years or so. Quicker solutions are available and include more wind farm.  This technology already provides around 20% of our electrical energy capacity and is becoming a very economical way, particularly onshore farms, of generating electrical energy.  At present its onshore expansion is constrained by complex planning regulations which empower nimbyism.  If these constraints were relaxed we could very quickly improve our Energy Security increase our renewable capacity and have this all operational before any North Sea oil/gas rigs have been constructed.

Sorry to witter on.

I’m not saying you are wrong. 

But why do you suppose the licences were granted if security is not enhanced beyond other approaches? Why go this route?

Seems an odd decision if onshore wind is the quicker solution - I don’t immediately see who is so disadvantaged by onshore wind versus the negativity associated with granting the ‘oil’ licences they have. I assume there are other arguments that make it more complex as otherwise seems more a vote loser than vote gainer. 
  • Options
    Climate Change is accelerating and unless it is taken seriously, the planet is heading for disaster. We had the hottest June on record in the UK, Canada has suffered devastating wildfires, China is currently experiencing floods which have killed many and left many others homeless, much of Europe is in drought, Italy had devastating floods after a period of drought, causing the cancellation of the Italian Grand Prix.  Sea temperatures are about 4 degrees higher around the UK this year, which has a devastating effect on wildlife. All of this has taken place in this year alone. 

Been a lovely summer over here so far  B)

What really irritates me is that Justin Trudeau at a federal level has added a carbon tax onto fuel of 14 cents a litre! Fuel here is already the most expensive in North America, and a bag of potatoes costs over $10. Everything that relies on fuel will see prices rise.

What happens when people have their disposal income taken away? They make less environmentally friendly choices and buy whatever they need to get by. People aren't going to purchase electric cars if they have less money.
  • Options
    Climate Change is accelerating and unless it is taken seriously, the planet is heading for disaster. We had the hottest June on record in the UK, Canada has suffered devastating wildfires, China is currently experiencing floods which have killed many and left many others homeless, much of Europe is in drought, Italy had devastating floods after a period of drought, causing the cancellation of the Italian Grand Prix.  Sea temperatures are about 4 degrees higher around the UK this year, which has a devastating effect on wildlife. All of this has taken place in this year alone. 

What really irritates me is that Justin Trudeau at a federal level has added a carbon tax onto fuel of 14 cents a litre! Fuel here is already the most expensive in North America, and a bag of potatoes costs over $10. Everything that relies on fuel will see prices rise.

What happens when people have their disposal income taken away? They make less environmentally friendly choices and buy whatever they need to get by. People aren't going to purchase electric cars if they have less money.
    The most expensive in North America? 
    So basically more than the US then ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The most expensive in North America? 
    So basically more than the US then ? 
    Well yes, and whilst you might scoff at that compared to European prices, some people have to drive miles to get anywhere.
  • Options

Great example of somebody not taking climate change seriously and therefore baulking at policies introduced to begin to enact the sort of radical changes to society required for human survival. 

Would you agree that the focus of your post us entirely economic? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Previous Tory Prime Ministers including Cameron and (astonishingly) Johnson supported reductions in CO2 emissions but more recently both Truss and Sunak have little sympathy for that cause.  Johnson had imposed a ban on further licences being granted for the North Sea oil and gas extraction but I think Truss rescinded these bans.

The point being made about granting licences as improving our energy security is a complete distraction. Almost 40% of our electrical generating capacity is owned by foreign companies following the privatisation of the energy companies during the mid 1980s, prior to this all of our capacity was, like the water industry, completely publicly owned.  Nothing is being done to rectify this, a Private Members bill to force water companies to invest in infrastructure repairs was defeated in Parliament and instead a bill allowing the companies to charge their customers for the necessary remedial works was whipped through the House by this Government. As a result most of us will face increases in water bills of around 40% over the coming few years and the imposed deadline for the completion of the remedial works to prevent sewage discharge into the sea and our rivers has been set at 2030.  In terms of security over 70% of the UK Water industry is owned by corporate investors in 17 different overseas countries including China and Abu Dhabi. These water companies have amassed aggregate debts of £60 billion but have paid £57 billion in dividends to their shareholders since privatisation. Sadly we are becoming all too familiar with the use of the multiplier 'billion'. If compared to units of time then one million would be 11.5 days whereas one billion equates to 31.5 years.  So £57 billion in dividends converted to units of time represents 1795 years.  When privatised, I believe there were 75 water reservoirs in the UK.  After over 30 years of 'investment' from the private sector we've added just one new reservoir despite the population increasing by 12 million during that period.  Think about that when complaining about hosepipe bans.

The fundamental issue of Energy Security is very real and worrying but any investment in North Sea solutions will take 10-15 years to come to fruition.  Our decision to entrust our infrastructure to the vagaries of the 'free market' has culminated with the threat by France, during the post Brexit negotiations on fishing rights when a French MP suggested that they should switch off the electrical supply to the Channel Islands, which originates from France.  The supply is provided by EDF who also supply 10% of the electrical energy to the UK.  EDF is owned by the French government.  Our energy security has been offered on a plate to anyone willing to buy it on global markets for so many years now.

The real opportunities to restore our energy security rests with developing plans for nuclear and hydrogen solutions and also with more investment in wind-farms.  Rather than massive nuclear stations like Sizewell C (being developed by EDF) we should consider the smaller local nuclear power stations such as those being proposed by Rolls Royce. Hydrogen is also a very viable opportunity particularly where plants can be created local to wind-farms where off peak energy (night-time winds) can be used to create Hydrogen which can then be stored and distributed via the gas distribution network.  These are longer term projects which will (rightly) take time although and are unlikely  to make a significant contribution for 20 years or so. Quicker solutions are available and include more wind farm.  This technology already provides around 20% of our electrical energy capacity and is becoming a very economical way, particularly onshore farms, of generating electrical energy.  At present its onshore expansion is constrained by complex planning regulations which empower nimbyism.  If these constraints were relaxed we could very quickly improve our Energy Security increase our renewable capacity and have this all operational before any North Sea oil/gas rigs have been constructed.

Sorry to witter on.

But why do you suppose the licences were granted if security is not enhanced beyond other approaches? Why go this route?

Seems an odd decision if onshore wind is the quicker solution - I don’t immediately see who is so disadvantaged by onshore wind versus the negativity associated with granting the ‘oil’ licences they have. I assume there are other arguments that make it more complex as otherwise seems more a vote loser than vote gainer. 
    Licences granted to appease the oil industry. The Government needs to keep them sweet so that they continue to fund the Tory party.

We need to massively increase alternative forms of energy production.  There is no security in oil and gas because it is in the hands the big companies. We need to wean ourselves off oil and gas.

It isn't going to be easy, I drive a 10 year old petrol car and can't afford to buy an electric car, but recognise tthat things are going to have to change.
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Sorry to witter on.

Licences granted to appease the oil industry. The Government needs to keep them sweet so that they continue to fund the Tory party.

We need to massively increase alternative forms of energy production.  There is no security in oil and gas because it is in the hands the big companies. We need to wean ourselves off oil and gas.

It isn't going to be easy, I drive a 10 year old petrol car and can't afford to buy an electric car, but recognise tthat things are going to have to change.
    Is that accurate? How much money do they need to replace from other donors?

As a vote loser it seems a strange trade off. 
  • Options
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Sorry to witter on.

I'm sure the companies running the new energy sources will not be small, probably the same companies than run oil and gas. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Sorry to witter on.

I'm sure the companies running the new energy sources will not be small, probably the same companies than run oil and gas. 
    That's why we need energy supply to be publicly owned, not the disaster that privatisation of the utilities has turned out to be.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Sorry to witter on.

That's why we need energy supply to be publicly owned, not the disaster that privatisation of the utilities has turned out to be.
    Yes!

Btw... I no longer buy that you ever voted blue 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    iaitch said:
    Sensei said:
    swordfish said:

Sorry to witter on.

Yes!

Btw... I no longer buy that you ever voted blue 

I certainly did - all my life including the 2019 GE and to my eternal shame, for Brexit. I have learnt a lot in the last three years and my eyes have been opened to the lies and manipulation that has taken place.
  • Options
    Lots said in this thread about Just Stop Oil. How about hearing from them.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5EaZwjKpMcUwv8osCWZfRv?si=EsmO05PfR6S8uuS3-YtJ-Q

From Pod Save The UK podcast 
  • Options
    Approving further exploitation of oil and gas given what we know is craziness. Yes it takes time for recyclables to match demand, but that's where the focus should be, the nuclear option too if needs be, but less so because uranium is a finite resource too. If we look to keep burning fossil fuels until reserves are exhausted, human stock reserves will be fully depleted long before they are. Those who argue for delaying do so primarily for economic benefit. Protests will continue.

Let's all hope that all no one gets injured at Silverstone this weekend and that common sense prevails.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I've said this before, but these people are 100% on the right side of history, they will be remembered in the future fondly.

The disruption at Wimbledon and any other event will be so minuscule compared to what is going to happen

When you mention disruption at Wimbledon, it has been going on for years.
    Usually an individual who never knows when to stop the fight.

Cliff Richard.

With regards to what might happen, a shortage of strawberries could cause a great deal of tutting.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!