Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    LenGlover said:
    They are scum in my opinion.

Aggressively inconveniencing decent ordinary people. There is a lot of chatter about Just Stop Oil's right of protest but what about the right of ordinary people to go about their business?
    Aggressive?
    Is throwing orange paint on a building not owned by you not aggressive?
    No. It's vandalism.
    Which is an aggressive act
    I stand corrected. I always assumed it had to be directed at a person or persons.
    If you go to your car and it has been keyed, that's not an aggressive act by someone?
  • Options
    There are actual things that can be done on an individual level to help the climate crisis.
    I am uncertain whether individual action can make a huge difference, but if enough people do something as individuals it can make a difference.
    Using the Brailsford approach is probably better than a helpless shrug and carrying on as always.
    I am not talking about protests but many other actions, based chiefly around how much we consume. 

• Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    LenGlover said:

Aggressively inconveniencing decent ordinary people. There is a lot of chatter about Just Stop Oil's right of protest but what about the right of ordinary people to go about their business?
    Aggressive?
    No. It's vandalism.
    I stand corrected. I always assumed it had to be directed at a person or persons.
    If you go to your car and it has been keyed, that's not an aggressive act by someone?
    Yes, it is. I've just said so haven't I? I'd actually use words like malicious vandalism, vindictive if it was personal, but only aggressive if someone was either threatening me or physically assaulting me. However,  having checked the definition, I've acknowledged I was wrong. No need to rub it in.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

• Options
    In the real world, as opposed to Extinction Rebellion’s or JSO's world, what does disrupting the lives of people who are already aware of your plight, do to help stop climate change? 

It's just become a game of one-upmanship  between a bunch of bored retired teachers. Buy a canal boat or something ffs
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    In the real world, as opposed to Extinction Rebellion’s or JSO's world, what does disrupting the lives of people who are already aware of your plight, do to help stop climate change? 

It's just become a game of one-upmanship  between a bunch of bored retired teachers. Buy a canal boat or something ffs
    .....an electric one that don't have a fossil fuel burner
  • Options
    ...... thinking about it, you're probably better off with a row boat
  • Options
    remember if oil is 'stopped' completely, no more plastic .. and where would we all be without plastic ? .. no more Lego, Airfix, stadium seats yoghurt pots, the list is endless .. oh and unless you have an electric vehicle, in future you'll be on the bus, train, or on shank's pony
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    A big contribution to climate change is overpopulation so I presume these protestors are going to have the snip or be sterilised. 

Looking at them I dont think there is much chance of them breeding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    LenGlover said:

Aggressive?
    No. It's vandalism.
    Yes, it is. I've just said so haven't I? I'd actually use words like malicious vandalism, vindictive if it was personal, but only aggressive if someone was either threatening me or physically assaulting me. However,  having checked the definition, I've acknowledged I was wrong. No need to rub it in.
    Rub it in!! I'm only getting warmed up 😂. I'm never usually in this situation so I'm going to turn the screw 😂
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    remember if oil is 'stopped' completely, no more plastic .. and where would we all be without plastic ? .. no more Lego, Airfix, stadium seats yoghurt pots, the list is endless .. oh and unless you have an electric vehicle, in future you'll be on the bus, train, or on shank's pony
    Or row boat if you're near a stretch of water
  • Options
    In terms of aggression, throwing a bit of paint could be aggressive, particularly if it's at a person. But JSO/XR etc are going out of their way to not actively harm people.  Obviously there is harm coming from things like missed medical appointments but it's not intentional. 

At present, violent acts around the environment are pretty much all by the people destroying it and mainly on the front lines of that battle, like the journalists killed in the Amazon last year, or the hundreds of environmental activists killed every year in South America. If you thought that our government and major corporations knew that what they were doing was undermining the very basis of human life, and destroying your children's and grandchildren's hopes of a normal life, would disrupting a bit of traffic be enough? This govt pretends it cares about the climate emergency but is opening new mines and oilfields - why would you do that if  you really did care? I think these protests should be more targeted, like any sporting event targeted should be the sort sponsored by fossil fuel interests or their enablers. 

And for all the comparisons with the civil rights movement in the US, remember loads of the civil rights activists were killed by racists and many more injured and beaten. All of you advocating killing or maiming JSO protestors, have a think about how history might remember you. 

• Options
    I give monthly to the WWF which goes towards their climate recovery fund. Funnily enough, that doesn't disrupt normal people going about their daily lives trying to provide for their families. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    LenGlover said:

Aggressive?
    No. It's vandalism.
    …and, therefore, illegal. How the hell someone can legally sit in the middle of a public road is beyond me. This country makes life harder than it needs to be for the law abiding citizen.
    They can't (now). Taken from the BBC website this morning. 

The maximum penalty for the wilful obstruction of a highway is 51 weeks in prison. Offenders can also be fined.

Several transport bodies, including National Highways and Transport for London, have sought High Court injunctions to prevent protesters disrupting major roads.

Those in breach of an injunction can be held in contempt of court and could face imprisonment, an unlimited fine and seizure of assets.

• Options
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    For those that weren't aware of it, there is now a thread on the House of Commoners section of this forum set up for debating Environmental Issues and Green Politics.
    Sorry, but the Just Stop Oil protestors have brought this away from the Houses of Parliament & general politics and brought it directly into the general public's lives.

Direct action is met by direct action. 
    No need to apologize. I'm pleased you started this thread and was just trying to help direct those interested in the underlying cause of the protests rather than the actions of the protestors.

FWIW, you've managed ignite a discussion on this thread that's had nearly as many contributions in less than 24 hours than the other thread has had in nearly two months. Whatever you think of the protestors, they are increasing public awareness and, ironically, aren't going to stop.

Anyone daft enough to deck one of them whilst they're protesting at a major sporting event would find themselves caught on camera and charged with assault and end up with a criminal record. I doubt those protesting want that to happen, but it would add to the publicity, which is their goal.

I agree that some of their tactics are potentially dangerous, not just to them but  others, and in targeting racing events I fear a tragedy will occur sooner or later. However,  what happened at Wimbledon yesterday was a minor inconvenience and it made the national news. To that extent it was a success, whereas if I was to walk up the high street wearing a sandwich board, not being Greta, I wouldn't get the huge media exposure.

I don't like seeing people inconvenienced or worse by  protestors and wouldn't want to join them, but I accept the climate change science and humans influence on it. An inconvenient truth is right as not enough is being done to reduce Co2 emissions in time, so be prepared for protest action of the nonviolent civil disobedient type to escalate as that's their stated strategy.
    Is this true though? I haven't seen a single comment on the actual aims of Just Stop Oil. Plenty of people (including you) have commented that they generally support CO2 reductions (only a mad fringe doesn't) but that is not what JSO are campaigning about. 

They are specifically campaigning about the Government's proposals to grant new licenses for oil and gas exploration in the North Sea. This isn't specifically about reducing CO2 emissions as they are not campaigning about consumption of oil and gas. They do not propose demand management - e.g. escalation of fuel duties, ban on new gas boilers etc. Since gas and oil are fungible commodities (i.e traded at the same price worldwide irrespective of its source of production), the banning of licensing of new gas and oil in the UK would in itself have no appreciable effect on prices and therefore CO2 emissions since our production is so low (less than 1% of the world's production in oil and about 0.25% in gas).

An honest campaign would be more complex aimed at massively increasing investment in nuclear, wind and solar, investment in research in battery storage, massive increased taxes and/or spending reductions to subsidise EVs, insulation and ground pumps to replace gas. However the green movement is massively split on all those thing so JSO is performative protest which, if successful would make somewhere between none and negligible difference to the UK's CO2 emissions, let alone the worlds. It is a childish, irrational and dishonest protest movement.

In a nutshell
  • Options
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    For those that weren't aware of it, there is now a thread on the House of Commoners section of this forum set up for debating Environmental Issues and Green Politics.
    Sorry, but the Just Stop Oil protestors have brought this away from the Houses of Parliament & general politics and brought it directly into the general public's lives.

No need to apologize. I'm pleased you started this thread and was just trying to help direct those interested in the underlying cause of the protests rather than the actions of the protestors.

FWIW, you've managed ignite a discussion on this thread that's had nearly as many contributions in less than 24 hours than the other thread has had in nearly two months. Whatever you think of the protestors, they are increasing public awareness and, ironically, aren't going to stop.

Anyone daft enough to deck one of them whilst they're protesting at a major sporting event would find themselves caught on camera and charged with assault and end up with a criminal record. I doubt those protesting want that to happen, but it would add to the publicity, which is their goal.

I agree that some of their tactics are potentially dangerous, not just to them but  others, and in targeting racing events I fear a tragedy will occur sooner or later. However,  what happened at Wimbledon yesterday was a minor inconvenience and it made the national news. To that extent it was a success, whereas if I was to walk up the high street wearing a sandwich board, not being Greta, I wouldn't get the huge media exposure.

I don't like seeing people inconvenienced or worse by  protestors and wouldn't want to join them, but I accept the climate change science and humans influence on it. An inconvenient truth is right as not enough is being done to reduce Co2 emissions in time, so be prepared for protest action of the nonviolent civil disobedient type to escalate as that's their stated strategy.
    Is this true though? I haven't seen a single comment on the actual aims of Just Stop Oil. Plenty of people (including you) have commented that they generally support CO2 reductions (only a mad fringe doesn't) but that is not what JSO are campaigning about. 

They are specifically campaigning about the Government's proposals to grant new licenses for oil and gas exploration in the North Sea. This isn't specifically about reducing CO2 emissions as they are not campaigning about consumption of oil and gas. They do not propose demand management - e.g. escalation of fuel duties, ban on new gas boilers etc. Since gas and oil are fungible commodities (i.e traded at the same price worldwide irrespective of its source of production), the banning of licensing of new gas and oil in the UK would in itself have no appreciable effect on prices and therefore CO2 emissions since our production is so low (less than 1% of the world's production in oil and about 0.25% in gas).

An honest campaign would be more complex aimed at massively increasing investment in nuclear, wind and solar, investment in research in battery storage, massive increased taxes and/or spending reductions to subsidise EVs, insulation and ground pumps to replace gas. However the green movement is massively split on all those thing so JSO is performative protest which, if successful would make somewhere between none and negligible difference to the UK's CO2 emissions, let alone the worlds. It is a childish, irrational and dishonest protest movement.

I regard it coming under the umbrella of climate change activism as it's funded by a US network set up in 2019 to promote that as per the attached link.

https://www.climateemergencyfund.org/
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    A big contribution to climate change is overpopulation so I presume these protestors are going to have the snip or be sterilised. 

This has been David Attenborough mantra for years and homo sapiens and Neanderthals have bred like rabbits since time in memorial. I wonder what the view of AI is as Robots rule ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was just about to ask where the blue hair brigade were going to pop up today but have just gone past them walking along the new kent road blocking traffic. 
  • Options
    Generally speaking, the public agree with the JSO sentiment, and we don’t need any more convincing/ publicity for the argument. 

The power for change lies in Westminster, and that’s where they should be protesting. 
    Stopping punters getting to appointments, or enjoying sporting events is not helping their cause. 

They should be lobbying every MP (when the House is sitting) on a daily basis and argue for the change they want. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

I regard it coming under the umbrella of climate change activism as it's funded by a US network set up in 2019 to promote that as per the attached link.

I thought we were discussing Just Stop Oil, the reasons for their protests and the extent to which they had raised public awareness/support for those reasons. 

Why is the source of their funding in any way relevant to those matters?
  • Options
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

I thought we were discussing Just Stop Oil, the reasons for their protests and the extent to which they had raised public awareness/support for those reasons. 

You saying in a discussion about JSO the source of their funding is irrelevant. I wasn't aware of the narrow parameters of this thread, so apologies for that.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

You saying in a discussion about JSO the source of their funding is irrelevant. I wasn't aware of the narrow parameters of this thread, so apologies for that.
    Fine. What is it relevant to? 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    Jints said:
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

Fine. What is it relevant to? 
    You initially questioned my saying that Co2 reduction was relevant to their cause. It's often the case that protestors views are consistent with those of those who fund them. Co2 reduction is the basis of climate change activism unless I'm much mistaken, which their funders promote. Not granting licences to oil exploration companies isn't inconsistent with that, but as I can see you have an issue with me commenting on this, I'll desist. I'm getting tired of it anyway.
  • Options
    Agreed. 
  • Options
    Generally speaking, the public agree with the JSO sentiment, and we don’t need any more convincing/ publicity for the argument. 

I don't get that impression at all, either from the 'public' or from the majority of posters on this thread.
    Happy to be proved wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!