Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    United go from letting in far too many goals, to being toothless.
  • Options
    Who knew Germans had a sense of humour?
    Singing, ‘it’s coming home’ & ‘is this a library’ at OT.
    Great bants 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Arguably the worlds biggest club yet they've got 36yo Jonny Evans playing.
    Eric Dier levels of plodding dogsh*t.  Sums up the state of that club.

In yester-year, they'd have 4/5 bloody good CBs fighting over each other to get in the side.
    You would have thought Ten Haag would have known all about Dutch CB van der Venn.  For the £30m Spurs paid for him, he was an absolute steal and he would walk straight into the United team.  He'd walk into most PL teams to be fair.

Anyone who has been to OT recently would know its falling apart at the seams.  The training ground is ancient.  The owners don't care.

I listened to Rio Ferdinand on Talksport yesterday talking with Jim White and Simon Jordan.  He was candid about the clubs struggles and how they get through this period.  He was adamant Ten Haag deserves more time.  I'm not sure he'll get it.

Long may their demise continue.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

In yester-year, they'd have 4/5 bloody good CBs fighting over each other to get in the side.
    You would have thought Ten Haag would have known all about Dutch CB van der Venn.  For the £30m Spurs paid for him, he was an absolute steal and he would walk straight into the United team.  He'd walk into most PL teams to be fair.

Anyone who has been to OT recently would know its falling apart at the seams.  The training ground is ancient.  The owners don't care.

I listened to Rio Ferdinand on Talksport yesterday talking with Jim White and Simon Jordan.  He was candid about the clubs struggles and how they get through this period.  He was adamant Ten Haag deserves more time.  I'm not sure he'll get it.

I'd agree with this. He surely deserves it based on his first season.

Compare that to Arteta who finished 8th, 8th and 5th in his first 3 years at Arsenal. 

The difference is Arsenal had a plan, a strategy for signings and finally they progressed from there. United don't have any plan at all, which comes as no surprise to a club that do not have a sporting director.

Their signings are a mess. Experienced players given ridiculous contracts - a 5 year deal to 30 year old Casemiro is one example. If Madrid are happy to let a player leave then you ask yourself why.
    Massively overpaid for Antony. Signed Mount when he'd been poor for Chelsea for ages. 75m on Sancho to have him sat at home playing Fortnite. 70m+ on Hojlund who scored 9 goals last season. Got rid of De Gea to spend 50m on a keeper because he can play out from the back, when surely the priority should actually be saving shots.

Players like Martial, McTominay, Lindelof etc were deemed to be not good enough years ago yet they're still there and somehow still playing in big games. How is Jonny Evans getting games?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I'd agree with this. He surely deserves it based on his first season.

Compare that to Arteta who finished 8th, 8th and 5th in his first 3 years at Arsenal. 

The difference is Arsenal had a plan, a strategy for signings and finally they progressed from there. United don't have any plan at all, which comes as no surprise to a club that do not have a sporting director.

Their signings are a mess. Experienced players given ridiculous contracts - a 5 year deal to 30 year old Casemiro is one example. If Madrid are happy to let a player leave then you ask yourself why.
    Massively overpaid for Antony. Signed Mount when he'd been poor for Chelsea for ages. 75m on Sancho to have him sat at home playing Fortnite. 70m+ on Hojlund who scored 9 goals last season. Got rid of De Gea to spend 50m on a keeper because he can play out from the back, when surely the priority should actually be saving shots.

Players like Martial, McTominay, Lindelof etc were deemed to be not good enough years ago yet they're still there and somehow still playing in big games. How is Jonny Evans getting games?
    This is a big point for them, big long contracts for players that aren't good enough and have no suitors. Remember when Lingaard was apparently wanted by everyone and Man United gave him a big contract? A couple of seasons later and they had to ship him out on loan and pray someone else paid some of the wages. Other clubs if a player isn't good enough they run the contract down, United seem to offer them a new one in the hope that someone will then come along and pay to take them. 
  • Options
    AC Milan look very average don't they
  • Options
    What a strike from Joelinton, its been coming. 

Be hilarious if Mbappe is in the Europa League as a result
  • Options
    If anyone predicted those 3 Man City goalscorers, they're a genius  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    If you've heard of two or more of them, then I'm impressed :D
  • Options
    I really like the Referee in this Newcastle game though, didnt take any shit with the Milan Goalkeeper when he started whinging at him
  • Options
    If you've heard of two or more of them, then I'm impressed :D
    Pep was confused too

"Who's that Kalvin Phillips?"
  • Options
    Just turned on the Newcastle game. I'd forgotten how many ex Chelsea players are at Milan now
  • Options
    Newcastle just need to bank the Europa League now, and be done with it 
  • Options
    All about taking your chances
  • Options
    All gone wrong since I started watching. It's lucky I didn't watch the Millwall match.
  • Options
    That's tough on Newcastle, but the games been so open last 15-20  mins you felt someone was going to score.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    That's tough on Newcastle, but the games been so open last 15-20  mins you felt someone was going to score.
    Great game to watch
  • Options
    Two English clubs crashing out of Europe completely from the group stages is unusual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two English clubs crashing out of Europe completely from the group stages is unusual.
    Also doesn't do the coefficient much good, so it'll be tough now for the PL to get one of the two extra champions league spots for next season.
  • Options
    Also doesn't do the coefficient much good, so it'll be tough now for the PL to get one of the two extra champions league spots for next season.
    yep, highly unlikely to get the 5th place now.  Absolute pricks.
    If that happens, like night follows day Spurs will finish 5th!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    yep, highly unlikely to get the 5th place now.  Absolute pricks.
    If that happens, like night follows day Spurs will finish 5th!
    Would be poetic justice if Man U were to finish 5th, and miss the CL spot due to their own failings....
  • Options
    Coefficient is based on all 3 competitions although I guess Champions League is worth more. If City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa and West Ham make reasonable progress an additional place should still go to England. I would imagine (for example) one winner and a beaten finalist is worth more than a couple more clubs losing in the round of 16 of the CL?
  • Options
    Isnt the Co-Efficient already in place for next year?

2024–25 UEFA Champions League - Wikipedia
  • Options
    Thought Englands Co-Efficient was a long way ahead of the others anyway, so a bit of a buffer. 
  • Options
    Isnt the Co-Efficient already in place for next year?

2024–25 UEFA Champions League - Wikipedia
    That shows the overall coefficient though which is worked on the previous 5 seasons combined, but for the purpose of the 2 extra spots in next seasons CL, it will take only the 23-24 coefficient, which currently looks like this (right hand column).

It can change though of course, but given that Bayern and Leverkusen will probably go far in their competitions, it would likely need the Italians to exit everything early and English sides to reach finals.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I can't see France going above us though, unless PSG win the champions league and Lille and Marseille win the other 2, all this season, same as Spain really. 

Man City will go very far again and I think one of our teams will win one of the other cups
  • Options
    Last 16 draw

Porto v Arsenal

Napoli v Barcelona

Paris St-Germain v Real Sociedad

Inter Milan v Atletico Madrid

PSV Eindhoven v Borussia Dortmund

Lazio v Bayern Munich

Copenhagen v Manchester City

RB Leipzig v Real Madrid