Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    It will be interesting to see how Arsenal approach the rest of the season, the big prize for them is the Champions League.  The title is very secondary.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Unfortunately i think Arsenal will batter them at the Emirates and go through.
    Why unfortunately?
    How long have you got?  I cou :ld be here all day.

26th May 1989 :D was a bad day for you :D
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see how Arsenal approach the rest of the season, the big prize for them is the Champions League.  The title is very secondary.
    Not sure i agree with this, Premier league will always be priority. With no FA cup they can easily just give it their all in both so shouldn't really matter 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If I could only win one I think I’d rather win the league title.
    Exactly what my Gooner ST holding boss has just said to me!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    se9addick said:

Exactly what my Gooner ST holding boss has just said to me!
    What’s the position on the UEFA coefficient and 5th place? Might Spurs need both Man C and Arsenal to progress further to get a Champions League spot if they don’t overtake Villa?
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Current standings after last night's games:

English clubs with work to do to get a 5th spot . English sides need German teams in particular to get knocked out in order for England to move into the top 2.
  • Options
    If Liverpool win the Europa League, as they'll qualify already for the CL via their league position, will that also give another space to the 5th/6th placed club?
  • Options

English clubs with work to do to get a 5th spot . English sides need German teams in particular to get knocked out in order for England to move into the top 2.
    Apparently West Ham v Freiburg is a big one for the coefficient this week (presumably because that’s an English v German side).
  • Options
    If Liverpool win the Europa League, as they'll qualify already for the CL via their league position, will that also give another space to the 5th/6th placed club?
    I believe as they're already going to be in the CL it doesn't add another place. I'm not sure how that works with places and qualification but pretty sure there would only be a maximum of 5 unless the team that wins the Europa League is outside of the top 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So Spurs really need an Arsenal v Man City final. Worth watching the next round in an N17 pub for the mental turmoil!
  • Options
    Interestingly Villa are effectively useless for the coefficient now until the semi finals: https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/about/

Each round of the Champions League and Europa League though gives more points all the way through from this point onwards. So the progress of Freiburg and Leverkusen could be crucial.
  • Options
    So Spurs really need an Arsenal v Man City final. Worth watching the next round in an N17 pub for the mental turmoil!
    Spurs just need to play well and stay injury-free until the end of the season.
    Smash the Gooners at WHL at the end of April and then slap the lube on for the visit of Man City and the trip to Anfield.
  • Options
    Not sure i agree with this, Premier league will always be priority. With no FA cup they can easily just give it their all in both so shouldn't really matter 
    Arsenal have not won the Champions League and the riches that go with it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not too sure, being “Champions of Europe” would feel rather hollow when you haven’t been champions of your own country for decades.

Agreed, this is where the Champions League name is a nonsense.  It's a glorified UEFA Cup.
  • Options
    Dortmund and Inter both 2-1 up on aggregate at half time in the second legs.

More points for the coefficient for Italy and Germany as things stand.
  • Options
    What a miss by Athletico in the last minute.
    Extra time.
  • Options
    Second game running I'm pleased its gone to extra time.  Last night and tonight cracking games and referees letting the games flow.
  • Options
    Been a great game, can see Athletico winning it from here.
  • Options
    Athletico what a game this is and the atmosphere looks unreal 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Athletico would have been out had we still had the away goals rule. Thank goodness that ridiculous rule has been scrapped.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Arsenal, Man City, Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, PSG

A strong line up of quarter finalists this year. It’ll depend on the draw but I’m going with Man City, Bayern, Real Madrid and one other.
  • Options
    Had a feeling for a long time now, Arsenal gonna get Man City in the quarters
  • Options
    Athletico are the Ventokele of Spanish football…
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Apparently West Ham v Freiburg is a big one for the coefficient this week (presumably because that’s an English v German side).
    This long and complicated BBC article agrees with you!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68553886
  • Options
    edited March 15
    And its Arsenal v Kane & Dier in the quarter-finals!

And if they get through its either Real Madrid or Man City in the semi-final.  Ouch!
  • Options
    City vs Real
    Arsenal vs Bayern

Two "mouthwatering" clashes.
  • Options
    Full draw...

Atletico Madrid or Borussia Dortmund v Paris St-Germain or Barcelona

Arsenal or Bayern Munich v Real Madrid or Manchester City
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Didn't realise it had been drawn all the way, bottom half is a fight to the death to get to Wembley
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not too sure, being “Champions of Europe” would feel rather hollow when you haven’t been champions of your own country for decades.

Agreed, this is where the Champions League name is a nonsense.  It's a glorified UEFA Cup.
    Absolutely 
    Neither champions nor a league.