Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    It will be interesting to see how Arsenal approach the rest of the season, the big prize for them is the Champions League.  The title is very secondary.
    Not too sure, being “Champions of Europe” would feel rather hollow when you haven’t been champions of your own country for decades.

If I could only win one I think I’d rather win the league title.
    Agreed, this is where the Champions League name is a nonsense.  It's a glorified UEFA Cup.
    Absolutely 
    Neither champions nor a league.

• Options
    Very unbalanced draw. Great for PSG
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Didn't realise it had been drawn all the way, bottom half is a fight to the death to get to Wembley
    Exactly like last year, City have to try and fight through the tough half to get to the final against a 'lesser' side.

Dream draw i think for Liverpool's Premier league hopes, as City and Arsenal now potentially have 4 battles on their hands.
  • Options
    Arsenal potentially have a NLD trip to Spurs 3 days before they play the 1st leg of the semi if they get through.
  • Options
    Two superb quarter finals tonight, both went one way then the other and are now set up perfectly for the second legs next week. Some great goals in the Madrid-City game.
  • Options
    Shocking from Saka at the end
  • Options
    Champ League knockout football is unbelievable 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Exactly.  Dont know what Rio Ferdinand and Martin Keown were looking at.  Saka threw his leg out to make contact with Neuer.  Never ever a pen.

If Kane had tried thay, they'd have been frothing at the bit FFS.
  • Options
    Agreed. Blatant attempt to win a penalty when he could have just took it round him and tapped it in. I think Saka is over rated.
  • Options
    In the first half Vinicius and Rodrygo ran City all over the place, and without Walker they couldn't handle their pace.

When they add Mbappe next season they are going to be frightening to defend against.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 9
    Mike said:
    Just seen the replay of that.

Why some players would rather try and dive for a penalty when they could just bloody shoot, no idea.

Reminded me a bit of that Jota one earlier in the season (when he did a penalty, but could have just tapped in an open goal).
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights

My thoughts as a neutral on this

the Saka incident. 
    He definitely kicks the goalie rather than Neuer impeding him - not sure why Ferdinand and Keown were complaining about not sending the ref to have a look. 

But as for the handball from the goal kick - oh my god , what was the ref doing  not giving Bayern a penalty there ? 

• Options
    Saka has no need to leave his leg out, just keep going and shoot 

Just watched the RM / City highlights - wow some outrageous goals
  • Options
    Be interested to read @SELR_addicks thoughts on those two incidents 

I am a big Saka fan but thought it was blatant from him to initiate the contact 
  • Options
    Yea I wonder what SELR will think about the saka incident 🤣
  • Options
    I have to say I was gutted to find both games were being played on the same night.
    I was always going to watch Bayern against Arsenal because of Kane & Dier but would have loved with watch that City game.  Arguably game of the season so far.
  • Options
    And I switched off at the end last night rather than watch the analysis, knew nothing of the Gabriel handball until this morning when I saw it online.
    How on earth did the ref not give that?

That'll teach me to be playing darts at the same time, not concentrating on the game!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    And I switched off at the end last night rather than watch the analysis, knew nothing of the Gabriel handball until this morning when I saw it online.

That'll teach me to be playing darts at the same time, not concentrating on the game!
    I hate Arsenal but I think it'd be harsh to give a penalty for that! There were no Bayern players near him, it's not like they got an unfair advantage from it. Ref using his common sense!  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I have to say I was gutted to find both games were being played on the same night.
    I was always going to watch Bayern against Arsenal because of Kane & Dier but would have loved with watch that City game.  Arguably game of the season so far.
    I was annoyed they were on the same night we were at the valley.  I recorded RM v MC and hoped to avoid hearing the result.  On the way back to the car, i heard snippets of conversation which led me to believe MC had won.  Normally I would not have gone on to watch the match, but decided to give it a go and thoroughly enjoyed it and from my point of view one twist that RM were leading 3-2 and then it ended in a draw! Great game.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I was annoyed they were on the same night we were at the valley.  I recorded RM v MC and hoped to avoid hearing the result.  On the way back to the car, i heard snippets of conversation which led me to believe MC had won.  Normally I would not have gone on to watch the match, but decided to give it a go and thoroughly enjoyed it and from my point of view one twist that RM were leading 3-2 and then it ended in a draw! Great game.
    Crazy to have both English sides on the same night, and the clash with our game made it even more annoying!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    You must have been tired as Madrid never went 3-2 up.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I hate Arsenal but I think it'd be harsh to give a penalty for that! There were no Bayern players near him, it's not like they got an unfair advantage from it. Ref using his common sense!  
    What about a cross going out for a goal kick that a defender inexplicably handles. Not gained an advantage , so should he not be penalised either? 
  • Options
    Tonight's games on paper don't seem anywhere near as exciting as yesterday's. 

Barcelona v PSG looks like the better game, but Atletico are such dirty b*stards that it may prove to be the more entertaining fixture against Dortmund. 

It does feel to me like the quality of football has dropped off or rather players individually. The tactics at an all time high, but all these big European clubs outside of the Premier seem to lack superstar/world class players. 

The last 3 decades there's always been world class talents littered throughout the top5 European leagues, now with the Premier League money, every top player seems to end up here more or less. Other than that they're ending up at Madrid as usual 
  • Options
    Scan those line ups tonight. I'd only have Oblak and Griezmann down as star players for Atletico, Dortmund don't have one other than some young talents imo

Across the 22 players in PSG vs Barca there's only a handful of outstanding players and of course the best player in the world Mbappe. 

• Options
    Shocker for Maatsen and the keeper. Great start for Atletico.
  • Options
    Harry Isted struggling in goal for PSG tonight.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Crazy to have both English sides on the same night, and the clash with our game made it even more annoying!
    In fairness there wasn't that much UEFA could do given the sides left in.

Real and Atletico can't both play at home on the same night, so those two games had to be separated to different nights. They were never going to have Real Madrid and Barcelona playing at the same time, so it only left the Arsenal game to go alongside Madrid-City.
  • Options
    Barcelona in front early v PSG, and now lead 4-2 on aggregate. Lamine Yamal is ridiculous for someone who is still only 16. Only question mark would be that he plays so much football, he'll probably be burnt out by the time he's 30.