Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

India on The Moon

Fantastic achievement for India although I’m not sure that their priorities are in whack with 229 million people living in poverty. 

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant scientific achievement from a place described in my lifetime as the ‘third world’
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the MPL (Moon Premier League) T20 tournament
  • Options
    Sounds like a Gil Scott-Heron song
  • Options
    This is turning into an "all things I like and hate about India" thread :-
  • Options
    I’m sure the technological spin-offs from the Indian space programme bring in a lot of both kudos and business. Perhaps it’s a good way of growing the economy and addressing their social problems which are huge from a growing position of strength.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    the people
    the history
    the culture
    the food.
    Dislikes:
    the extremes of wealth and poverty
    the national cricket team.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    India spend about $2b a year on their space programme, Their space industry (they are one of the biggest satellite launchers in the world) is estimated will be worth $25b by 2025.

it is a profitable investment, not a cost.

By comparison the US spend around $90b a year.
    How much international aid does the US get?  I have no idea.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    India spend about $2b a year on their space programme, Their space industry (they are one of the biggest satellite launchers in the world) is estimated will be worth $25b by 2025.

Funnily enough, $0. They are also the biggest givers of foreign aid worldwide
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    the people
    the history
    the culture
    the food.
    Dislikes:
    the extremes of wealth and poverty
    the national cricket team.
    I have nothing against their national team, but their love of mickey mouse pyjama limit over cricket. 😡
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

About the same as India - f*ck all.

India is a net aid giver, not a receiver. 
    That's not strictly true, you may want to reword this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

About the same as India - f*ck all.

India is a net aid giver, not a receiver. 
    That's not strictly true, you may want to reword this.
    It is peanuts and it is development aid rather than handouts. A developing Indian economy a) goes towards net zero targets and b) equips India to improve the lives of its people. That said, the distribution of wealth in India is obscene. 

India gives out more direct foreign aid to neighbouring countries than it receives in development aid.
  • Options
    You wont solve Indian poverty no matter what you send them. It's part of their society and the Hindu caste system makes sure of this. You'll never go from Shudra or Dallit to anything else.

Apart from that its a great place full of lovely people apart from the horrible rich cunts in Mumbai.

Fair play to them getting to the moon  - i hope they bring some paneer back.     
  • Options
    Their satnav was better programmed than the Russians one. How can you not see the moon for goodness sake?
  • Options
    Fantastic achievement for India although I’m not sure that their priorities are in whack with 229 million people living in poverty. 
    That's it should look after their people first before spending all that money going to the moon 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    That's it should look after their people first before spending all that money going to the moon 
    Came on here to say just that.

I wonder how much it cost to land that thing on the moon and how much of that money could have been spent on their slums.

And as for their pollution & carbon emissions history -  net zero my arse !
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Their satnav was better programmed than the Russians one. How can you not see the moon for goodness sake?
    They were on the dark side, it has no lights 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    It does seem odd that we send India £30 million+ in aid cash, rising to £60 million in a couple of years.

Worldwide aid to India is over $2.5 billion a year.
    why is it odd? There's hundreds of millions in poverty in india.
    odd in that we send aid to assist with eradicating poverty yet they can fund an expedition to the moon costing what I wonder?
  • Options
    Congratulations to them, a great achievement. Excited to see what their rover finds! 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    In fairness, it is rocket science.