Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

23/24 Injuries thread

Comments

• Options
    I have harped on many times about our fans judging players from their peak, rather than their recent achievements/performances. 

Feel for Camara, but from a Club's perspective, I cannot imagine that this was a cheap loan deal.
  • Options
    He has not, historically, been an injury prone player. He had one bad injury at Ipswich but it was totally reasonable to think that that was a one off and he’d be back to full fitness for this season as he has been for his entire career prior.

Unfortunately for him, it’s gone the other way and becoming a bit of a trend. Going forward, clubs will likely be hesitant to take him on.

I don’t blame the recruitment team for taking a punt on him this past summer.
    Even if we paid a hefty loan fee and are paying his wages of say £5K a week?
  • Options
    Assume he will be sent back to his parent club January then? 
  • Options
    Will already be 2 months gone by January though, could maybe see the club thinking they'll keep hold if he's a few weeks away. 
  • Options
    He has not, historically, been an injury prone player. He had one bad injury at Ipswich but it was totally reasonable to think that that was a one off and he’d be back to full fitness for this season as he has been for his entire career prior.

Unfortunately for him, it’s gone the other way and becoming a bit of a trend. Going forward, clubs will likely be hesitant to take him on.

Even if we paid a hefty loan fee and are paying his wages of say £5K a week?
    No idea how much we’re actually paying.

I’m not sure what the point of the question is, there’s obviously a point where a deal for any player is a bad business decision.

I wouldn’t blame us for trying to sign Aaron Collins in January. But not for 20 million pounds.
  • Options
    If we can we should cancel the loan and use funds elsewhere in January. He spent last season injured and now most of this one. We won't see him back at peak fitness till March/April at the earliest 
  • Options

He did have one bad injury, with 3 operations in that season.

I feel for him....and I feel for ourselves. We took a risk. I'd say 50pc were delighted with the signing (best player in the league etc etc) and the other 50pc slightly doubtful and wanted to be convinced with a run of appearances. He will effectively miss 2 seasons of football. I very much doubt the next club will ignore that and focus on his appearance record pre-injury. 

• Options
    I feel like we're in the "all transfers have risks" situation. Camara is a good enough player to take a risk on on loan. We've not signed him to a three year deal and he's in his second season of injury, so we've mitigated risk that way. As Callumcafc says, his injury record prior to last year was good.

I'm sure we were worried he might start slow or get niggles here and there. But given this is a different injury to last season, I don't know how this could have been predicted more than "he was hurt last year so he could get hurt again this year." 
  • Options
    It’s a tricky one as I think his contract ends in the summer (Ipswich might have an option but hard to see them taking it up). I’d be happy if we signed him next year and maybe this injury is an opportunity to stand by him and show him support and that he’s wanted 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    fenaddick said:
    It’s a tricky one as I think his contract ends in the summer (Ipswich might have an option but hard to see them taking it up). I’d be happy if we signed him next year and maybe this injury is an opportunity to stand by him and show him support and that he’s wanted 
    Is it tricky? I mean, he hasn't contributed anything to the team this season (of course, due to injury not a lack of effort or anything but the point still stands) 

If it's true we paid a fee for this loan and are paying his full wages with him being in the last year of his contract as well then Ispwich must be pissing themselves at us at the moment - considering we can't seem to even PAY anyone ourselves to offload our own white elephant. Especially when they got shot of Fraser to us as well and probably wiped their faces on the deal. They must be wondering whether we are interested in any magic beans in January...

• Options
    I wonder if there is any colleration between signing players who have recently been injured to them then being injured during the season. 🤔

Aneke
    Camara 
    Taylor
    Edun

To name but a few. 

• Options
    Latest question video for the club included Edun and the missing piece in the jig-saw, McGrandles.

Wonder if we'll see them Sunday or v Sutton.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is any colleration between signing players who have recently been injured to them then being injured during the season. 🤔

Aneke
    Camara 
    Taylor
    Edun

To name but a few. 

Don't worry Golfie - the new gambling rules are coming in soon so the owners will have to send their ID, 6 months bank statements and a source of wealth before they can spin the wheel of signings next year..
  • Options
    Wonder what the latest is on Chuks?
  • Options
    This wouldn't make good reading currently if updated...

Isted, T Taylor, Aneke, Leaburn, Camara, McGrandles

Possibles
    CBT, Ness, Jones, Dobson.
  • Options
    Dont forget Edun
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Taylor - inj. 30 Sep - 3-4 months (at least Feb)
    Isted - inj. 30 Sep - update:23 Nov "setback" (no estimate)
    Aneke - inj. 21 Oct - "couple of months at least" (at least Jan)
    Camara - inj. 31 Oct - "at least three months" (at least Feb)
    Leaburn - inj. 28 Nov - "up to five months" (at least April)
    McGrandles - inj. 1 Dec - "4-6 week" (probably January)
    Jones - inj. 6 Dec - 2-3 weeks (26th or 29th of December)

Please correct any inaccuracies or news I missed.

• Options
    Suggest you check the Statbank as you missed Jones
  • Options
    Suggest you check the Statbank as you missed Jones
    Thanks - I've added Jones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't be Charlton without a long injury list going into Christmas, hope they physios have got enough treatment tables!
  • Options
    Utterly grim. Isted setback? Whats that about?
  • Options
    Wouldn't be Charlton without a long injury list going into Christmas, hope they physios have got enough treatment tables!
    How do we compare to other teams at the same level as us.

There was that article, in the guardian I believe, which was around an increase in injuries and why it might be. Reflected in teams like Spurs, and Newcastle who have like 11 players out currently.

But all very prem-centric. 
  • Options
    Utterly grim. Isted setback? Whats that about?
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/isted-suffers-injury-setback

I don't remember hearing anything "in the coming days".
  • Options

The Head Coach confirmed he has no new injuries to contend with ahead of this weekend's trip to Oakwell and also provided an update on some of the Addicks' absentees.

“Fortunately there are no fresh injury concerns," he said. "I think it’s going to be a little bit too soon for the likes of Nessy [Lucas Ness] and Lloydy [Jones], so we’re pretty much as we were.

“It was good to see Terry Taylor outside this week doing some running, some jogging and some half-paced stuff," added Appleton. "Chuks [Aneke] was also out on the grass and has been for a week or so now. Pan [Camará] is getting there - he had a positive scan result on Tuesday. Timeframes don’t really change too much, but the good thing with that one is it’s not going to get set back.

"Harry Isted is doing little bits in term of handling, but there’s still quite a bit of the way to go. Apart from obviously Miles [Leaburn], between the middle of January and the end of January there’s the potential of three or four coming back.”

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/appleton-it-will-be-very-difficult-test

• Options
    clive said:

The Head Coach confirmed he has no new injuries to contend with ahead of this weekend's trip to Oakwell and also provided an update on some of the Addicks' absentees.

“Fortunately there are no fresh injury concerns," he said. "I think it’s going to be a little bit too soon for the likes of Nessy [Lucas Ness] and Lloydy [Jones], so we’re pretty much as we were.

“It was good to see Terry Taylor outside this week doing some running, some jogging and some half-paced stuff," added Appleton. "Chuks [Aneke] was also out on the grass and has been for a week or so now. Pan [Camará] is getting there - he had a positive scan result on Tuesday. Timeframes don’t really change too much, but the good thing with that one is it’s not going to get set back.

"Harry Isted is doing little bits in term of handling, but there’s still quite a bit of the way to go. Apart from obviously Miles [Leaburn], between the middle of January and the end of January there’s the potential of three or four coming back.”

Petty rage and nothing to do with the subject matter I know - but I hate that whole thing of adding a "Y" to someones name as if that is some kind of nickname when it obviously isn't (especially when done by someone in a position of authority) - it's all a bit David Brent for me - "I don't really know this person that well so i'll just add a Y to their forename/surname - THAT will make it look like we are on good terms!"

at least it sounds like good progress for Pany and Chuksy. Lets hope we don't end up with Flipsy, Flopsy and Mopsy coming in the January window and we get a bit of quality in instead.
    Does that mean theres a player called Qualit?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    clive said:

Petty rage and nothing to do with the subject matter I know - but I hate that whole thing of adding a "Y" to someones name as if that is some kind of nickname when it obviously isn't (especially when done by someone in a position of authority) - it's all a bit David Brent for me - "I don't really know this person that well so i'll just add a Y to their forename/surname - THAT will make it look like we are on good terms!"

at least it sounds like good progress for Pany and Chuksy. Lets hope we don't end up with Flipsy, Flopsy and Mopsy coming in the January window and we get a bit of quality in instead.
    Does that mean theres a player called Qualit?
    me and the team have been working hard to bring back Qualit'y" blah blah, injuries blah blah money blah
  • Options
    clive said:

between the middle of January and the end of January there’s the potential of three or four coming back.”

I see Appleton is getting his excuses in early for when we dont sign anyone next month...

" having Taylor, Chuks & Camara back is like signing 3 new players....."
  • Options

Asked for an update on the injury front, the Head Coach said: “We’ve got one or two that are sort of 50/50 that are coming back into it hopefully. They could give us a boost in terms of the squad for tomorrow.

"In terms of the lads who played last week, everyone is pretty much okay."

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/appleton-looks-ahead-burton-visit