Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    I would be surprised if he got another chance in League 1 at least as a No1. Feels like he could probably end up as a first team coach at a championship club possibly. 

Everything that happened at Blackpool with him sounds very very similar to how it went wrong for him here. 
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Will be interesting to see where his next job is. I do wonder why he could not sort out the defence, I can only assume it was a poor tactical setup, with players not comfortable with the requirements. To get where they are as professionals they cannot all be that rubbish?
    His stats for Blackpool look remarkably similar to ours.
    I’m not defending the guy for one minute but I think many on here agree that the midfield from the players available offered little protection and the full backs are just not that good defensively with CBS that always had an error in them and a keeper that is increasingly coming under the spotlight.

Basically you can only work with the tools at your disposal. However his team selections, in game management, tactics and subs, plus demeanour and not least of all alienation of the fan base did for him in the end with no wins since November. He deserved the tin tack and should not have been in charge Tuesday evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First of all, let’s be clear that at Charlton, we don’t have a manager picking the team, we have a Head Coach.

I’d be happy with either Lee Bowyer, Gary Rowett or Gareth Ainsworth. They all know how to get the most out of the players.

However, I have to say that I disagree with sacking Appleton as much as I was with the other coaches before them. Yes, we were shit, but I don’t believe it was due to him, and the same was true with the previous coaches.

I draw the parallel with a teacher at a school. As a teacher, you can be very good at your job but if the students (players) don’t listen,  aren’t motivated, hate the school (club) they’re at, have problems with other students (players), think they’re better than they are, don’t need to study, don’t try to understand and do the work then the teacher won’t succeed.

In addition, if the school administration don’t make the objectives clear, give the necessary information to the teacher, don’t address the teacher’s difficulties effectively, listen to what the teacher thinks is wrong within the organisation then again the teacher won’t succeed.

The teacher then becomes demotivated and at worst just does what the students want in full knowledge that it isn’t what they need, which starts a new vicious circle.
    If, into the bargain, the teacher knows he will have a fully paid up 3 year contract (which would never happen) with no fear for his livlihood then why would he work his bollocks off to the detriment of his private life for a shitshow.

Imagine then a school with multiple teachers like this. The school would slide rapidly down the OFSTED ratings.

Charlton are a club on the slide. All the coaches since Boywer are like the unfortunate teachers in my analogy. Only changing the true management will change things, not replacing Appleton.
    We may get a bounce off this new manager and survive this season but it makes no difference. We will go down by 2025 (I’m sure that I predicted this on here a few years ago). I’d rather have kept Appleton and risk it being this season because with each change we just get worse.
    I stopped reading at Gareth Ainsworth knows how to get the best out of players.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:
    Andy Scott.....Technical Director...says it all really.
    Why ? Why does there have to be someone to blame if MA .. was the best available then so be it …. Richard Murray made a number of poor calls .. 
    Scott said Appleton was the stand out candidate. 
    If you look at Appleton's record as a manager it's largely very very poor. 
    Do you believe Scott will get it right this time.?
    Sorry, but I disagree. Over many more games his win ratio is equal to Powell's. Is his record considered largely poor? No, because with  us it was more than 50%.

Appleton's is much worse with us, very poor, and he's paid the price. But it's a myth to say he is/was a serial loser. I'm far more concerned about about Scott's track record in doing what he does?
    Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

He most definitely is a serial loser. Why the board ever thought he would be a successful appointment is beyond me.
    Looking at this it's hard to understand how anyone can say he's not a loser.
  • Options
    People trying to find the perfect manager .. never going to happen .. all managers have a good spell and poor spell .. Nathen Jones excellent at Luton but very poor at Stoke and Southampton but he will wanted by the fans .Ainsworth everybody would have taken him from Wycombe but now don’t go there because of a few months at QPR … Appleton was the same good and bad and so will the next manager … you just hope he clicks with us and it’s a good spell ?
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:
    Why ? Why does there have to be someone to blame if MA .. was the best available then so be it …. Richard Murray made a number of poor calls .. 
    Sorry, but I disagree. Over many more games his win ratio is equal to Powell's. Is his record considered largely poor? No, because with  us it was more than 50%.

Appleton's is much worse with us, very poor, and he's paid the price. But it's a myth to say he is/was a serial loser. I'm far more concerned about about Scott's track record in doing what he does?
    Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

He most definitely is a serial loser. Why the board ever thought he would be a successful appointment is beyond me.
    You missed premier League Leicester 100% 🤣

Lost what was it, 6 games at Blackburn, 2 in one of those Blackpool spells! Portsmouth were in Admin. Also worked under Venkys and Oyston I think ( not sure tbh)

You missed Oxford and Lincoln that amounted to far more games than for those other clubs where he wasn't good, a many of which were at L1 level.

Most definitely is not a serial loser statistically, but you believe what you want to believe. Personally I'm just glad he's gone, but he never was first choice anyway. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I would be surprised if he got another chance in League 1 at least as a No1. Feels like he could probably end up as a first team coach at a championship club possibly. 

Everything that happened at Blackpool with him sounds very very similar to how it went wrong for him here. 
    Salford would probably be the next sort of place you'd expect to see him rock up, but thats solely based on his Manchester links
  • Options
    I know a coach/ manager has influence. But with the money they are paid, I would hope that the ones pulling on the shirt know a few basics
    In goal- I have to stop the ball going in the net. I give the defence confidence by dominating the penalty area.
    Defenders - little tip those players in the different colour shirts have a job of putting the ball in that net behind you. Stop them doing it.
    midfielders- now this is a bit trickier for you. First job do a bit of defenders job, but sorry a bit more. You need to get the ball to the blokes up front for them to put the ball in the net( other end to your goalkeeper) a little bonus, but do not worry to much, you can also put the ball in the net.
    Now forwards , thanks Alfie you doing ok. I know it’s hard but you have to put the ball in the net more times than the other team. With that lot behind you it is at present an impossible task.

anyway, no need for a manager, I have told them what to do. Or I suspect as much as others have said.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:

Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

He is the definition of someone, who uses his mates in the media, and his connection to United to sell a myth that he's a good manager
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    TEL said:

Appleton's win %

at Charlton 28.6%
    at Portsmouth 25.5%
    at Blackburn 26.7%
    at Blackpool 16.7%
    at Blackpool again 24.1%

I don't think they did, they just hoped.

No one half decent would (or will) touch us with our farcical set-up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe part of the selection process involves choosing a yes man manager that does what Scott says. Hence we seem to be recruiting soy boys mainly. I can't imagine these passive aggressive types actually inviting a John Terry no nonsense hard b****cks into the building. Adkins, Garner, Alperton ~ they're all "nice". We've tried every form of "nice" and it doesn't work. It certainly doesn't work in the real world so why should it in fantasy soccer world? 
    Yo dumb dumb, Powell was nice. That worked well enough. Curbs was comparatively nice. Was Garner nice? I maintain Adkins was sacked too early. 
  • Options
    Just wondering  if we can get a refund for all the crap team selections, performances and results we have had to endure from Michael?
  • Options
    edited January 25
    I know a coach/ manager has influence. But with the money they are paid, I would hope that the ones pulling on the shirt know a few basics
    In goal- I have to stop the ball going in the net. I give the defence confidence by dominating the penalty area.
    Defenders - little tip those players in the different colour shirts have a job of putting the ball in that net behind you. Stop them doing it.
    midfielders- now this is a bit trickier for you. First job do a bit of defenders job, but sorry a bit more. You need to get the ball to the blokes up front for them to put the ball in the net( other end to your goalkeeper) a little bonus, but do not worry to much, you can also put the ball in the net.
    Now forwards , thanks Alfie you doing ok. I know it’s hard but you have to put the ball in the net more times than the other team. With that lot behind you it is at present an impossible task.

anyway, no need for a manager, I have told them what to do. Or I suspect as much as others have said.
    I think you make a good point. It is the way to be successful. In itself it is obvious but getting the right mix of players to do that is less easy. What doesn't help is stupid people trying to be clever. That is a bit unfair, I mean people stupid about football. People who think they know something nobody else does. Sandgaard was a case in point. I remember that Sheffield Wednesday home game with him strutting his guitar and feeling despair because I could see the obvious, that there were not enough goals in the team! I didn't need a super computer to tell me that. You could work it out using Wiki and the back of a fag packet.

I think of managers like Warnock and indeed Evans now at Stevenage. Not well liked, possibly a bit eccentric and indeed not the cup of tea of all players. But given the challenge they look at what they have and how they can get a team that does those simple things you have identified. They don't do it once, they do it multiple times. Once you can be lucky and inherit the players. That may mean you don't play pretty football or are a bit dirty if you can't get the players who have those qualities, they tend to cost more, but you have a plan and work to it. Their way isn't the only way but the manager, however they want to play, has to know how to get to that point. It is a big reason why I think the formula at our level is find a manager who knows how to do that and back him. Not a head coach, but a manager. 

It is also why I am generally for promoting from within. Give them a chance as we did Curbs and they sink or swim but it is easy to move on to the next one if they sink and you are likely to find a good one sooner or later. The pond we fish in for experienced managers is full of failed ones. If I was looking in that pond, I would be looking for reasons they have failed that might not be their fault and indeed at their successes. Did they turn crap into gold like Powell did for example. It is all there if you look hard enough. Why did Duff fail at Swansea, Why has Jones failed in recent jobs? I would want to understand that before I appoint them. I certainly wouldn't be looking to interview them, all the information I need would already be out there. I can imagine Rodwell interviewing Appleton and you basically have one bullshitter, bullshitting another.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Corey's agent elaborating on what he said the other day, proves he's not got a clue really...
    As one of the replies said it came across like he had insider info, but from reading that tweet all he’s seen is a club constantly sack managers and continuing to fail. It’s right that we can’t keep changing manager but as an agent posting vague tweet it doesn’t come across like that.

We need to give a manager time, but we need to see progress along the way, learning from mistakes, improving individuals etc. After decent form initially we got worse under MA so he had to go.
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ghana has sacked Chris Hughton after an early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.
    No thanks, he's terrible too

Yeah not for me. By all accounts a great guy from speaking to Brighton fans but managerially his time has gone. 
    Yeah seems a lovely bloke
    We don't need a lovely bloke. We need a hard-nosed bastard that can keep us in League One and then build a side for a possible promotion push next year
    I'll go for that. I think some fans want it both ways. They want a cultural Marxist woke FC where we are the most right on as you can possibly get bending to every last virtue signalling cack in the cosmos. And then we also want a no nonsense hard nosed Neil Warnock (def not woke!) to blast us back into the championshiposphere. Can't have both. I'll take the latter! 
    So boring.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    ButtleJR said:

Corey's agent elaborating on what he said the other day, proves he's not got a clue really...
    What I've taken from that is Corey needs a better agent because that was a tough read. How on earth does that guy negotiate contracts?!
    I can't see much wrong in what he has said. Maybe he could have said it better and he didn't have any answers but it doesn't suggest he isn't a good agent. That would be a matter for his clients surely. He made a throw away comment which sounded like he knew something, which he didn't, and he corrected it.