Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    @bobmunro didn’t seem enthused either.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Here’s a thought, but 100% left field!! 
    Bromley Manager Andy woodman.
    Two leagues below us currently but would anyone be happy for him to step up?
    He’s building something there and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re league 2 next season.
    150 games in charge, 46% win ratio!
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    He’s building something there and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re league 2 next season.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we are L2 either...
  • Options
    Phil Brown?
    100% win rate at his new club.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Been mentioned before, was on our coaching staff, big jump from NL to us. Not for me.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Been mentioned before, was on our coaching staff, big jump from NL to us. Not for me.
    Like I said, left field.
    id be worried if we did appoint him, but only because he’s National league currently.
  • Options
    @bobmunro didn’t seem enthused either.
    I know Bob knows the scene at Stoke better then most, but they've had a string of decent managers since 2018, and none of them have had a sniff of the play offs
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Serious question, how many of us would welcome Lee Bowyer as Interim boss until the end of the season, with it then being reviewed by all after that?
    already got a job … 
  • Options
    Rob62 said:
    Nathan Jones has Charlton links and would
    be my clear number one choice, if there’s any chance I hope we go for it.
    Not from what I have heard of him from his time in Southampton.

No I will not say what it was.
    What about what did at Luton … ?? 
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    Thinking about Dubai saying (I think) that AS stood in the way of MA’s sacking on Sunday. Is it possible that with the additional funds available, people higher up wanted AS to move on from MA and get someone higher calibre, but AS wanted to stick a bit longer as it’s his guy?
    Has nothing to do with AS it was legal point over a clause in MA contract they had to overcome before he could officially sacked ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TeeC said:
    Thinking about Dubai saying (I think) that AS stood in the way of MA’s sacking on Sunday. Is it possible that with the additional funds available, people higher up wanted AS to move on from MA and get someone higher calibre, but AS wanted to stick a bit longer as it’s his guy?
    Has nothing to do with AS it was legal point over a clause in MA contract they had to overcome before he could officially sacked ..
    Surely if that were the case he would have instead just been put on gardening leave / stood down for the Tuesday game?
  • Options
    Gary Rowett won't do it.  He wants a job closer to home.  That is 100% accurate.

Rowett failed at Stoke.  As have many others.

Stoke has a significant amount of high earners from the Prem days who wouldn't leave and didn't want to play Chsmpionship football.  Has taken them ages to get rid of bad apples and dead wood.

Under Schumacher they have the chance to go forward at long last.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I want our club to be woke because woke means being alert to racist oppression and nothing else.

woke
    /wəʊk/
    verb
    1. past of wake1.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:
    Nathan Jones has Charlton links and would
    be my clear number one choice, if there’s any chance I hope we go for it.
    Not from what I have heard of him from his time in Southampton.

No I will not say what it was.
    Was there a Cantona element to it?
  • Options
    edited January 25
  • Options
    edited January 25
    I hadn’t spotted the role of the “sporting director” of Global Football Partners in the appointment of Appleton, according to the club. What is his (Simon Lenagan’s) wider responsibility with GFP? Is he on the Charlton payroll too? 
  • Options
    I hadn’t spotted the role of the “sporting director” of Global Football Partners in the appointment of Appleton, according to the club. What is his (Simon Lenagan’s) wider responsibility with GFP? Is he on the Charlton payroll too? 
    21 Jul 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic

GLOBAL FOOTBALL PARTNERS PURCHASE CHARLTON ATHLETIC                           [extract]

GFP, which has made the acquisition via its UK subsidiary SE7 Partners, is made up of seven shareholders with 5%+ each (detailed below). Those shareholders will sit on GFP’s Board of Directors, along with Finance Director Ed Warrick and Technical Adviser Simon Lenagan. GFP also has a small number of shareholders whose holdings are less than 5% each.

I'm guessing this implies SL is a shareholder, but <5% as his shareholding has not to my knowledge been confirmed.

08 Sep 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/michael-appleton-named-head-coach

Re appointment of Michael Appleton as Head Coach:

Charlton’s Technical Director Andy Scott led the recruitment process, supported by Managing Director James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, Sporting Director of the club’s owners Global Football Partners.

As to whether or not he is on Charlton's payroll, your guess is as good as mine - but I wouldn't be surprised!
  • Options
    edited January 26
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mogodon said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ghana has sacked Chris Hughton after an early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.
    No thanks, he's terrible too

Yeah not for me. By all accounts a great guy from speaking to Brighton fans but managerially his time has gone. 
    Yeah seems a lovely bloke
    We don't need a lovely bloke. We need a hard-nosed bastard that can keep us in League One and then build a side for a possible promotion push next year
    I'll go for that. I think some fans want it both ways. They want a cultural Marxist woke FC ….,
    Give me a C
    Ceeeeeeeeeee
    Give me a U
    Uuuuuuuuuuuu

gotta pray the ref plays 12 minutes added time to get through that lot
  • Options
    I don’t know why you guys feed trolls. Just ignore the nonsense.
  • Options
    Wish there was a Delete button. 
  • Options
    You can always tell something big has happened at Charlton when ValleyOfTears starts popping up regularly with his brand of intermediate level trolling. It’s like the Mothman appearing 
    "Trolling" ~ the word some people apply to people who possibly have a different view to them and is used by people who are incapable of supporting their argument with the most basic of logic  

In the era before things turned silly people used logic, reason, courtesy and argued their point. They weren't "trolling" anyone. 
    OK, now you're back down to beginner level, that was rubbish
  • Options
    Wonder how much we're paying all those people who don't seem to be doing a lot 
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    21 Jul 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic

GLOBAL FOOTBALL PARTNERS PURCHASE CHARLTON ATHLETIC                           [extract]

GFP, which has made the acquisition via its UK subsidiary SE7 Partners, is made up of seven shareholders with 5%+ each (detailed below). Those shareholders will sit on GFP’s Board of Directors, along with Finance Director Ed Warrick and Technical Adviser Simon Lenagan. GFP also has a small number of shareholders whose holdings are less than 5% each.

I'm guessing this implies SL is a shareholder, but <5% as his shareholding has not to my knowledge been confirmed.

08 Sep 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/michael-appleton-named-head-coach

Re appointment of Michael Appleton as Head Coach:

Charlton’s Technical Director Andy Scott led the recruitment process, supported by Managing Director James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, Sporting Director of the club’s owners Global Football Partners.

As to whether or not he is on Charlton's payroll, your guess is as good as mine - but I wouldn't be surprised!
    Thanks. Perhaps he’s technical adviser and sporting director - two roles for the price of one!