Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

International week, bit dull, no exciting managerial appointments to entertain us, so... what's the roughest pub you've been to?  Where was it, and why was it so bad?

Comments

• Options
    Wildfowler, Thamesmead is up there
  • Options
    George staples
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 
    All the strippers looked like crack heads . A truly revolting pub. 
  • Options
    Danson Stables at lunchtimes....seeing some Mum catchups, numerous bottles of wine and then an appearance of the car keys is the epitome of rough. 
  • Options
    I remember going into a Irish pub between Shepherds Bush and Acton 30 years ago... and when I say Irish, I mean a pro IRA pub, that was interesting...

Also a horrible pub in Edinburgh, rough crowd, rottweiler dogs, etc
  • Options
    Bulldog - Swindon. Was playing the Fruit Machine, when a guy told me it was his Fruit Machine and I should get off it(well in words to that effect)!! Given the Yellow Streak down my back I did!! About 6 months later pub featured on "UK's Wosrt Pub". Now a Tesco's Express.
  • Options
    Coach and Horses Lewisham High Street near the hospital 
  • Options
    The Wat Tyler, Ferrier Estate. A picture paints a thousand words.

Drank in the Wat Tyler plenty of times including playing against them in a pool league. 
    I was captain of the Chelsfield pub side. 

Despite its reputation I never encountered any agg in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Byker newcastle, where me old man grew up, the raby was proper spit &sawdust pub.. 
  • Options
    The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 
    Can but agree, a couple of the rougher pubs in Camden (now closed) ran it close, but even when gagging for a pint  I would have chosen the station bar in the old St Pancras over the Flying Scotsman. Went to drink there once in the 80's with one colleague who was notoriously tight in the wallet and some other colleagues and even the tightwad begged to leave when it was my round.
  • Options
    The Wat Tyler, Ferrier Estate. A picture paints a thousand words.

Drank in the Wat Tyler plenty of times including playing against them in a pool league. 
    I was captain of the Chelsfield pub side. 

Despite its reputation I never encountered any agg in there.
    I think you spelt skag wrong.

It was always there when I was :-)

(but fair point - it may have been rough but it was friendly in a "locals" sort of way...)
  • Options
    3 legs in Leeds or the boy and barrel in Bradford.
  • Options
    The Cunningham in new addington. Thankfully long since closed down and knocked down
  • Options
    The Cunningham in new addington. Thankfully long since closed down and knocked down
    I worked in New Addington fire station for years. 
    That was indeed a pub to be avoided. 
    Shootings and stabbings on a regular basis. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    3 legs in Leeds or the boy and barrel in Bradford.
    Been in the Three Legs, was fine at first, then anyone who needed a piss had to deal with the dealer by the toilets who got offended if you didn't buy anything off him!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    ElfsborgAddick lf I'm not mistaken 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I've got two I think.

Went to Blackburn away with a mate years ago, probably about 2003?  Missed a train, had an hour to wait until the next one, went to the nearest pub and it was awful, really 'local', and they were filling up beer from cans as I assume they'd not been supplied by the breweries.

Would have walked straight back out but it was a Monday night in January or something and freezing so felt the lesser of two evils.  

We lost too.

Other one was in Wales, in a village near Newport that I can't remember the name of - was over that way with work and wanted to watch the football.  Literally spent 45 minutes trying to watch the game whilst about 6 locals stared at us making comments about being English etc. 

Left at half time.
  • Options
    The Pheasant in Northumberland Heath was always a treat too.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Was in a pub in Rochdale a few years back and the locals were like that.
    Was only 10.30am.
  • Options
    Off the ceiling? 
    Surely should be a challenge for the Guinness Book of Records?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I was lost in Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA) and pushed open the door into a bar, it was so rough that I spun around and rugby tackled my mates back through the door. Christ. I'm surprised I wasn't shot on entry. 

In the UK, Cressy Arms in Dartford. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    This reminds me that the last time we played/went to Blackpool A a "short person" nicked my mates lager.
    We both looked at each other and said "did that just happen?"
    You had to be there really.
  • Options
    Grimsby A years ago.
    We got the train from Cleethorpes back to Grimsby where we had a half hour wait for the London train.
    We went into The Railway pub? which was as rough as arseholes.
    I seriously was inclined to turn round and walk back out, but the others wanted to stay.
    Ordered our drinks and noticed a large patch of dry blood on the floor.
    The bloke at the bar tells us it was from where someone was stabbed last night.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The Pullman (before it was The Pullman) next to Woolwich Arsenal Station.
    It was The Royal Oak where Arsenal FC was formed.https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/se18_woolwich_pullman.html 
    We got jumped coming out of there (was about 18 at the time).
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/535596.drug-pub-set-for-closure/  - Prince Nicely great name.