Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 
    All the strippers looked like crack heads . A truly revolting pub. 
    I’m pretty sure that’s where a stripper put her knickers in my pint of beer, I drank it and if the knickers had been more swallowable I’d have drunk them as well.

That's enough CL for me today.
    Jesus, what some men knock one out to.
  • I was in a pub I'm Hatton Garden one lunchtime,when a stripper" lost " a blokes pipe he was smoking between her legs.
    Ready rubbed tobacco comes to mind.
  • Not sure Stevie would give it any more than two stars, mind you.
  • edited September 2023
    Was at The King's Head in between London Bridge and Borough a couple weeks back. A Millwall pub and it shows. I love it because it has character but my brother, wife and the few of my mates I've been to with it have told me they "fucking hate it" and my wife is refusing to go again.

Last time I went with her and a couple of mates, a bunch of old boys who really should know better were trying to start a brawl with each other every 10 minutes, with different characters involved each time, punches being thrown but they were so sozzled none of them landed with venom. Bar staff were just laughing. 

After that I'm sitting at my table and I can't focus on my friend talking to me when I hear this absolute hacking cough, on repeat, I look over only to see the old boy wiping the heavily accumulating mucus away from a hole in his throat. 

Apart from that it's lovely though. 
  • laneender said:
    Back in 2007, there was a bar in Kabul called L'Atmosphere. You needed to approach slowly, and on foot, as there are two guards with Kalashnikovs behind sandbags at the door. Once you have shown them your ID they bang on a steel door and a small slit opens. They look you over and then the door opens. You go into a room with more guards and Kalashnikovs to be searched and then through a metal detector. They then knock on another steel door and you go in. Once in there was a bar selling all drinks for $5. The drink of the day is whatever they can get their hands on. I have spent whole evenings drinking out of date Heineken, Baileys and Desperados. Watched the 2007 Rugby World Cup games there.

Not a bar/pub, but when you went to a party at a UN or other NGO house they would have a gun room. Just like handing over your coat when you arrive, but your gun instead!
    That’s roughest pub I’ve ever heard of. Certainly makes some of them mention on here sound somewhat sedate.
  • Do have to think with the Kabul one - is it really worth it?
  • Sponsored links:

• laneender said:
    Back in 2007, there was a bar in Kabul called L'Atmosphere. You needed to approach slowly, and on foot, as there are two guards with Kalashnikovs behind sandbags at the door. Once you have shown them your ID they bang on a steel door and a small slit opens. They look you over and then the door opens. You go into a room with more guards and Kalashnikovs to be searched and then through a metal detector. They then knock on another steel door and you go in. Once in there was a bar selling all drinks for $5. The drink of the day is whatever they can get their hands on. I have spent whole evenings drinking out of date Heineken, Baileys and Desperados. Watched the 2007 Rugby World Cup games there.

Not a bar/pub, but when you went to a party at a UN or other NGO house they would have a gun room. Just like handing over your coat when you arrive, but your gun instead!
    That’s roughest pub I’ve ever heard of. Certainly makes some of them mention on here sound somewhat sedate.
    It’s got nothing on the old Gin Palace OKR
  • Huskaris said:
    Was at The King's Head in between London Bridge and Borough a couple weeks back. A Millwall pub and it shows. I love it because it has character but my brother, wife and the few of my mates I've been to with it have told me they "fucking hate it" and my wife is refusing to go again.

Last time I went with her and a couple of mates, a bunch of old boys who really should know better were trying to start a brawl with each other every 10 minutes, with different characters involved each time, punches being thrown but they were so sozzled none of them landed with venom. Bar staff were just laughing. 

After that I'm sitting at my table and I can't focus on my friend talking to me when I hear this absolute hacking cough, on repeat, I look over only to see the old boy wiping the heavily accumulating mucus away from a hole in his throat. 

Like you i really like that pub. Tucked away between the more tourist like pubs of the "grapple" of grapes and the George. 
    Been there a number of times. When England were playing they had TVs set up outside on the the small street/alleyway.
    On one England game occasion i started a chant which people joined in on. anyway a bunch of lads in one corner of the pub said give us another song. I started to sing/shout sweet dreams by Eurythmics. They laughed then said "na, give us a football song"  so i preceded by singing Red Red Robin. They started shouting "fucking hell he's a bloody Charlton fan" cue some booing from the back row. I then said, "oh no there's spanners in the house" which seemed to go down ok with most. apart from one chap who when i went outside told me as such. "This is a wall pub" and all that nonsense. nothing came of it and I will when in Borough/London Bridge area always try to make a quick detour to that pub. 
  • Huskaris said:

Like you i really like that pub. Tucked away between the more tourist like pubs of the "grapple" of grapes and the George. 
    Been there a number of times. When England were playing they had TVs set up outside on the the small street/alleyway.
    On one England game occasion i started a chant which people joined in on. anyway a bunch of lads in one corner of the pub said give us another song. I started to sing/shout sweet dreams by Eurythmics. They laughed then said "na, give us a football song"  so i preceded by singing Red Red Robin. They started shouting "fucking hell he's a bloody Charlton fan" cue some booing from the back row. I then said, "oh no there's spanners in the house" which seemed to go down ok with most. apart from one chap who when i went outside told me as such. "This is a wall pub" and all that nonsense. nothing came of it and I will when in Borough/London Bridge area always try to make a quick detour to that pub. 
    I'd refute it being a millwall pub. It's a decent pub for nearly all occasions and always did a very nice pint of Harveys.
  • edited September 2023
    Huskaris said:

I'd refute it being a millwall pub. It's a decent pub for nearly all occasions and always did a very nice pint of Harveys.
    Tbf I never knew or even considered it as Millwall pub. I still don't. Bloke was a gormless piss stain who probably didn't even know where south bermodsey is.

Anyway don't let him put you off folks. Very good boozer imo. Theres a lot of good pubs in that area. 
  • Huskaris said:

Yeah I’ve never known it as a Millwall pub. Plenty will pop in for a quick pint or two on route from LB to South Bermondsey but it’s not a ‘go to’ Millwall pub as such. 
  • Bartrams. Close thread
    Some dodgy characters in there for sure!
  • laneender said:

Gin Palace was first bar I’d experienced with metal detectors on the way in 
  • laneender said:

Gin Palace was first bar I’d experienced with metal detectors on the way in 
    Must have known you were Charlton.
  • Huskaris said:

Yeah I’ve never known it as a Millwall pub. Plenty will pop in for a quick pint or two on route from LB to South Bermondsey but it’s not a ‘go to’ Millwall pub as such. 
    Correct. Certainly a pub Millwall fans drink in but not a designated Millwall pub. In fact, my Millwall pals who used to drink in there every matchday have gone elsewhere in the last couple of seasons as more and more away fans seem to be ushered in there from LB
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

Went there after the play off final when touring round… was class, loads of charlton stood on tables singing 
  • Some cracking posts on here fortunately or unfortunately never been to any of them. 

As i originate from Gravesend i cant let these go without a mention.

The Dickens inn...now gone but full of rough yobbos and the traveling community who would come over and drink your pint and go yerr what you gonna do about it, with 6 of their mates behind them

The Admiral Beatty, also gone but full of those that thought they were tough. but weren't brave enough to try the dickens.

The Somerset Arms, my brothers pub, when ever i pop in there, there are always the same people sat in the same seats, wonder if they ever go home.

The General Gordon, on the notorious Kings Farm council estate full if those scum you would want to live next door to our politicians, Mysteriously burnt down one night.

The Gravesend Boat, Another estate pub housed next to one of the biggest estates in the country, Riverview Park. Whoever thought that moving so many people in an area all at once with young families was mad. They all grew up together and had hundreds of bored teenagers milling the streets and using that as an underage boozer. If your lucky you might avoid a bottling on a Saturday night but keep using it and your turn will come.
    Lived in Milton (Havengore Ave) 1985-88 there used to be a pub just around the corner that had a bit of a reputation, nicknamed the Woodchoppers Arms pretty quiet on the few occasions when I went in there., can't recall it's proper name.....never ventured into the Dickens Inn though. Pub scene was really good back in the 80's in Gravesend.
  • The lord Northbrook in Lee used to be a bit rough. spit and sawdust type place back when my dad went there (60's/70s). when i ventured in there early 2000s it did have an edge to it, plus it was a bit grotty. Go there now with its settees, indoor hanging baskets, polished wood floors, large restaurant area and ridiculous prices you would never of believed it. 
    Used it quite a lot 09-10 when living in Lee, this was before it got done up, quite liked it at the time.
  • Some cracking posts on here fortunately or unfortunately never been to any of them. 

The Dickens inn...now gone but full of rough yobbos and the traveling community who would come over and drink your pint and go yerr what you gonna do about it, with 6 of their mates behind them

The Admiral Beatty, also gone but full of those that thought they were tough. but weren't brave enough to try the dickens.

The Somerset Arms, my brothers pub, when ever i pop in there, there are always the same people sat in the same seats, wonder if they ever go home.

The General Gordon, on the notorious Kings Farm council estate full if those scum you would want to live next door to our politicians, Mysteriously burnt down one night.

The Gravesend Boat, Another estate pub housed next to one of the biggest estates in the country, Riverview Park. Whoever thought that moving so many people in an area all at once with young families was mad. They all grew up together and had hundreds of bored teenagers milling the streets and using that as an underage boozer. If your lucky you might avoid a bottling on a Saturday night but keep using it and your turn will come.
    Lived in Milton (Havengore Ave) 1985-88 there used to be a pub just around the corner that had a bit of a reputation, nicknamed the Woodchoppers Arms pretty quiet on the few occasions when I went in there., can't recall it's proper name.....never ventured into the Dickens Inn though. Pub scene was really good back in the 80's in Gravesend.
    My good mates dad had the Dickens for a while. Rough as fuck.

my mum and dad met on a night out in the Beatty.
  • Loving the "gin palace" being rough. Ought to be classy with a name like that.

Similarly, I went a pub called "the wine glass" in Edinburgh, and a whole film crew turned up when two middle aged women beat the crap out of each other. Still not entirely sure what was going on

85 was the year I left Greenhithe, loved The Pier.

Very itchy.
  • Royal Standard in East Greenwich could be rough!