Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Tidal Basin Tavern Silvertown, and the Anglers Retreat Just outside the Ford Dagenham plant. Popular Beers at popular prices, also saw some 3 card brag games go awry on pay days at the Anglers. 
    My Dad worked at Fords Dagenham in the 70s and 80s, he wasn't a big drinker but used to use the Anglers during the night shift lunch break without any problems tbh. However, he told me if I was ever over there, to keep out of the Henry Ford, like someone said earlier, it was like the wild west in there.

As for Silvertown, I worked there for years, apart from the odd lunchtime leaving do I didn't go in the pubs....we got an edict one lunchtime to stay on site as a jury were coming down to see a murder scene connected with the pub next door, on another occasion a couple of my colleagues were driving to the site at 7am and the road was blocked by a mass brawl from the same boozer. They slowed down and the combatants stood back and let them through, then carried on beating the crap out of each other. This is all part I suppose, of lifes rich tapestry, but the minute I mentioned I lived south of the river I was told it was bandit country, and I was on borrowed time. Now, I know plenty of bad things go on in south london but jeez I always felt happy to get back through Blackwall tunnel in one piece.
  • Options
    that pub for Charlton fans at Wembley play off final. Didn't improve despite winning
  • Options
    When I went to poly at Coventry there was some little guide aimed at the freshers as an intro to the place, including the social life. It had a section about the local pubs and in their description of The Three Tuns pub (in the middle of the post-war concrete jungle shopping centre) it said if you if you went in there you might ask for
    "Two lagers, a packet of prawn cocktail crisps........... and an ambulance please". It wasn't too welcoming to students, like a few pubs up there.

The Bargepole (Thamesmead) and The Harrow Inn (Abbey Wood) are other places I dared not venture. Not sure what the Pegasus was like in the middle of Abbey Wood estate.

I really do not like The Gamecock at West KIngsdown though. Not been in there for years, so it might be different in there now, but it was very clicky and any stranger made to feel very unwelcome.

Another was a pub in Eltham (possibly the Greyhound) where a friend of my Dad's had gone in there one afternoon with a mate. They sat on some stools at the bar and were having a drink when a bloke come over to them and said "that's Harry's seat that you're in". So they were like, okay we'll move if he comes in. The bloke said "no, you really don't want him to catch you sitting in his seat". So with that they reluctantly got up and moved to another seat. Then the guy said "sometimes Harry sits there".... The feeling of welcome was very evident!
    I had a job in there the summer after leaving school before starting college, would have been about 40 years ago now. I did mostly lunchtimes, and it was generally pretty dead, just a few old boys nursing a pint or a half for hours and chatting about their allotments.  I got called in to do a few Saturday nights when there was something on at Brands Hatch and the place was unrecognizeable from the lunchtime session. Never that much trouble, but lary bunches of bikers getting pissed up. Remember one of them stripping right off and presenting himself to the landlord's daughter, who couldnt have been more than about 16/17. "What do you think of that then, love?" "Seen better on a plate with eggs". Cool girl.
    Bob the landlord was a good guy, seemed to know where to draw the line.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The Monks Head in Snodland is somewhere I'll not go back to.
    Around five years ago I went to see Snodland play(as you do), being early I popped into the boozer, about 1pm.
    The Pub was basically empty and one guy on his own at the end of the long table.  I sat down and opened up the paper minding my own business then the bloke said he had some people coming soon, I said okay mate no problem, and thought nothing of it.
    20 minutes later the geezer has piped up and said did I not get the message(still sat on his own!).  With this I thought best to move, I then moved to the other side of the bar.  This was alright, a few locals were in and happy that the barmaid was calling one of their mates a c***!
    I passed on another drink and went to the ground, on my way out, my 'friend' was still on his own......40 minutes after he was expecting company!!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The lord Northbrook in Lee used to be a bit rough. spit and sawdust type place back when my dad went there (60's/70s). when i ventured in there early 2000s it did have an edge to it, plus it was a bit grotty. Go there now with its settees, indoor hanging baskets, polished wood floors, large restaurant area and ridiculous prices you would never of believed it. 
  • Options
    Can’t remember the name of the pub, but the away pub the police put you in before the Bradford game. Good god that was awful. 
  • Options
    The lord Northbrook in Lee used to be a bit rough. spit and sawdust type place back when my dad went there (60's/70s). when i ventured in there early 2000s it did have an edge to it, plus it was a bit grotty. Go there now with its settees, indoor hanging baskets, polished wood floors, large restaurant area and ridiculous prices you would never of believed it. 

It was a Watneys pub for a start. That made it a no go. The Summerfield was the place ro go
  • Options
    Have been in rougher, but when we played a Charlton supporters match in Ayr 20 years ago, the pub/hotel we stayed in was basically the 24hr bar for the local drunks. Night before our game we went out for the evening and left a dozen blokes sitting at the bar and on tables, when we got in at 3am they were all still there, and when we got up at 8am the same story.

The Ayr United team we played were a similar bunch of ‘interesting characters’. After the game they wanted to entertain us at their local. Cabs seemed to take us right to the outskirts to a middle of estate pub akin to the Bargepole / Wat Tyler. Turned out most of their team was banned from every pub in town, so this was basically it for them. They’d appreciated the efforts we’d made to get up there and although we’d knocked them out the cup we were treated well so never a problem. But I still remember when the cabs pulled up outside it was a definite ‘here?? oh no’ moment! 
  • Options
    plenty never used to like the Park Tavern in Eltham, personally I loved it in there and spent many an hour drinking / betting on the racing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have family in Northern Ireland. We crossed the border for a day trip and on the way back we stopped at a pub just on the southern side of the border.

the road connecting the south to the north was in a valley where the Ira had snipers shooting at British troops during the troubles. Our visit was mid 90's which may have been pre peace but was around that time.

the pub had outside toilets with slits in the walls so nobody could sneak up! This should have given us a clue as to what type of pub it was.

Me, my dad, brother in law and uncle were playing pool when a local came over and put a punt on the table. My brother in law told him to fuck off as we were on a reckie and saluted at my dad.

the barman approached and said he could get the IRA down in 2 mins. 30 seconds later we were back in my uncles car speeding towards the boarder

not sure if the pub falls into the rough category or my brother in laws stupidity created the situation. The barman may have been bluffing but looking back, I'm glad we didn't stick around to find out.

I was around 15-16 at the time and a young looking one at that. My uncle reckons that is the reason why we were given a 2 minute warning first.  

My dad laid into my brother in law and I have never heard his voice so raised before or since!
  • Options
    I have family in Northern Ireland. We crossed the border for a day trip and on the way back we stopped at a pub just on the southern side of the border.

the road connecting the south to the north was in a valley where the Ira had snipers shooting at British troops during the troubles. Our visit was mid 90's which may have been pre peace but was around that time.

the pub had outside toilets with slits in the walls so nobody could sneak up! This should have given us a clue as to what type of pub it was.

Me, my dad, brother in law and uncle were playing pool when a local came over and put a punt on the table. My brother in law told him to fuck off as we were on a reckie and saluted at my dad.

the barman approached and said he could get the IRA down in 2 mins. 30 seconds later we were back in my uncles car speeding towards the boarder

not sure if the pub falls into the rough category or my brother in laws stupidity created the situation. The barman may have been bluffing but looking back, I'm glad we didn't stick around to find out.

I was around 15-16 at the time and a young looking one at that. My uncle reckons that is the reason why we were given a 2 minute warning first.  

My dad laid into my brother in law and I have never heard his voice so raised before or since!
    What a knob head your brother in law was - very dangerous place the border region was on both NI and Eire side in those days - in South Armagh the British Army couldn’t even use vehicles in some places, helicopters had to be used, it was that dangerous - ‘bandit country’ they called it
  • Options
    edited September 2023

What a knob head your brother in law was - very dangerous place the border region was on both NI and Eire side in those days - in South Armagh the British Army couldn’t even use vehicles in some places, helicopters had to be used, it was that dangerous - ‘bandit country’ they called it
    We were near newly/dundalk. Very dangerous!

My nan lived in a place called Lurgan. I found out recently that Lurgan was part of three towns close to each other called the murder triangle. My dad took us on holiday there every year!!!
  • Options
    Not a pub as such but a dive of a lodge in the beautiful Big Bend National Park in Texas (I think this beats even Swanley.)

We'd booked a couple of nights at the Chisos Mountains Lodge (it's the only place to stay) and then checked out Trip Advisor and found this review. (Extracts below).

Mountain lion tried to eat my son (on the lodge grounds)

While walking back to our room from dinner at the lodge, a mountain lion attacked my son. The lion took my son from my wife, who was holding his hand, and dragged him into the bushes. I was able to stab the lion with a pocket knife to get him to release my son, but he's lucky to be alive and only have minor facial scars as a result.

CML did provide us with a first aid kit to dress his wounds, helped me pack my bags into my truck in time to follow the ambulance to Alpine, and refunded us for the night.

Anyway, when we pitched up, we couldn't resist asking the staff if it was true. They said "Yeah kinda. But it was only a small one.  It can happen but we've got Beware of Mountain Lions signs"
  • Options
    Very mistaken earlier, not the Caxton (by Limehouse, early pub full of LU night workers, but this gem;

The Durham Arms.
    Comes with ashtrays on the bar without any consideration of the ban on smoking.
    A 1970s wooden TV and a constant flow of wastewater from the street as the drains were blocked from paper (adjacent recycling centre).
    This happened every time an articulated lorry went past.
    Went in there with a bloke I worked with, who was suited, and the locals were right on him.
    He pointed to a picture on the wall with him in it.
    Panic over.

Used to ride my bike to work over there and went to take it into the pub for safety.
    The old Doris said "you cant leave that in here, it makes the place look untidy".
    Couldn't make it up.

Durham Arms, Canning Town, London, E16 4SA - pub details # beerintheevening.com
  • Options
    Two pubs that have been mentioned.
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Can’t remember the name of the pub, but the away pub the police put you in before the Bradford game. Good god that was awful. 
    @Stewart the Bradford Arms I think? https://whatpub.com/pubs/BRA/059/bradford-arms-bradford

It wasn't that bad .

The one pre-Huddersfield when Callum Harriott scored was far worse. We got over charged at the bar and there was all sorts of racist graffiti in the loos. 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Very mistaken earlier, not the Caxton (by Limehouse, early pub full of LU night workers, but this gem;

The Durham Arms.
    A 1970s wooden TV and a constant flow of wastewater from the street as the drains were blocked from paper (adjacent recycling centre).
    Went in there with a bloke I worked with, who was suited, and the locals were right on him.
    Panic over.

Used to ride my bike to work over there and went to take it into the pub for safety.
    The old Doris said "you cant leave that in here, it makes the place look untidy".
    Couldn't make it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMPipJb3cAw
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    The Gun Pit in Woolwich looks proper ropey. I don’t think it has any furniture bar a pool table. I’ve not ventured in. 

I’ve always found the Lully alright. Tho it might help knowing a few of the regulars. The Pub spy in the Newshopper did a gruesome review of it years ago.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11106296.shameless-in-swanley-pubspys-review-of-bar-fights-and-dirty-talk-at-the-lullingstone-castle-pub/

A few of us went in their early doors at the end of last season as part of pub crawl. I think there were two other people in there, but you're right, I think it just has a pool table and maybe a few bench seats. Not a single picture or anything else on the walls.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched some of that mate, but would have liked to have seen it done whilst the place was still open.
  • Options
    The Lully really is a dive - has been for years 
  • Options
    plenty never used to like the Park Tavern in Eltham, personally I loved it in there and spent many an hour drinking / betting on the racing!
    Had a few under age beers in there 
    back in the day with school mate’s 
    Happy memories 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Two pubs that have been mentioned.
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
    I used to know Duncan Sanderson
  • Options
    The Lully has been improved by Greene King and does a good Sunday lunch for us older folk!
  • Options
    R0TW said:

The Durham Arms.
    Panic over.

Couldn't make it up.

Im dying to know who he was/why his picture was on the wall?
  • Options
    It was a football team photo from 70s, and he was in it.
    On the other hand, I could say it was a picture taken in the Blind Beggar pub and he was one of about 10,000 people from east London who were in there on that eventful evening :smile:
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    It was a football team photo from 70s, and he was in it.
    On the other hand, I could say it was a picture taken in the Blind Beggar pub and he was one of about 10,000 people from east London who were in there on that eventful evening :smile:
    @ROTW do you remember tne Jaggy Tistle up Blackpool?
  • Options
    Ha, the one you could throw bottles at the DJ, when you thought his music was shit?
    Had a proper cage around it as part of the Risk Assessment