Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Two pubs that have been mentioned.
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
    I used to know Duncan Sanderson
    That is genuinely impressive for me. Known to all as Sandy, part of the classic Duncan Sanderson, Paul Rudolph, Russell Hunter core.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
    That is genuinely impressive for me. Known to all as Sandy, part of the classic Duncan Sanderson, Paul Rudolph, Russell Hunter core.
    Nice guy. I shared a flat with one of his girlfriends in Canterbury in the 70s. Big music scene there then. I also knew Steve Hilledge and Barbara Gaskin (she lived next door). I was in one of the Canterbury bands for a while. Best pub was the Jolly Sailor ( not very rough).
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Downham Tavern in the 80's. OMG was like the end of the Thriller video.
    My younger brother had his scarf nicked by some Millwall fans at London Bridge back in the eighties. 
    A few weeks later 4 of us was playing snooker in the Downham Tavern and the Millwall blokes walked in..
    Done them in the bogs and scarpered quickly. 
    I've never been back.
    I doubt they’re still waiting for you mate.
    As the pub no longer exists you are probably right.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    My younger brother had his scarf nicked by some Millwall fans at London Bridge back in the eighties. 
    A few weeks later 4 of us was playing snooker in the Downham Tavern and the Millwall blokes walked in..
    I've never been back.
    It does but in a more hungry horse shitty type version. Never been in it but always looks like scag head types outside rather than hard types. Didn’t the original have the longest bar in England?
  • Options
    plenty never used to like the Park Tavern in Eltham, personally I loved it in there and spent many an hour drinking / betting on the racing!
    In there in as a kid with dad and uncle 70's and 80's. Magic place. Full of characters. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Before they sold the land to the Co-op the Downham Tavern was the worlds largest pub when it was built in the 30s and for some time after I believe. My granddad used to drink in there when he moved to the area from Bermodsey.
    My Nan told him it was either the Downham tavern or her. He never drank in there again after they were married. Went down hill after that, not their marriage but the pub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before they sold the land to the Co-op the Downham Tavern was the worlds largest pub when it was built in the 30s and for some time after I believe. My granddad used to drink in there when he moved to the area from Bermodsey.
    My Nan told him it was either the Downham tavern or her. He never drank in there again after they were married. Went down hill after that, not their marriage but the pub. 
    Kudos to your nan and your grandad for that matter!
    had no idea idea they were building in downham after the First World War. Just assumed it was after the second. 
  • Options
    work in halifax a good bit and theres a pub there the white horse that at around 1pm one day had happy hardcore blaring out with a happy 43rd birthday keith in the window, this place also opens at 9am and is pretty full by 10am
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    I've never been back.
    Bit drastic to move to Blackpool though.
  • Options
    Talk of the Tavern reminds me of the Northover just down the road.  (later the Governor General)   

Another big pub and always edgy - could be a rough house.  Was in there one night when the band were assaulted in an obviously planned attack which sprang from different parts of the hall simultaneously.  It was quite chilling, dunno what the back story was and didn't hang around to find out.  
  • Options
    For @Boom, is this one alright for you?
  • Options
    The White Swan at Ash was a total no go pub for many years... opposite Swan Farm. If you know, you know.  Later turned into a decent restaurant pub, but I'm going back many years.

The nearby Gamecock as previously mentioned wasnt that friendly even for locals at the time like myself. Always something going on there. Bob the landlord and his Mrs were always semi pissed. 
  • Options
    Talk of the Tavern reminds me of the Northover just down the road.  (later the Governor General)   

Another big pub and always edgy - could be a rough house.  Was in there one night when the band were assaulted in an obviously planned attack which sprang from different parts of the hall simultaneously.  It was quite chilling, dunno what the back story was and didn't hang around to find out.  
    Another shout for the Northover .It was my local pub as a youth and my Dad's before me.The latter had scars from various encounters from his youth, fortunately I acquired none but i had an almost genetically inherited sense of trouble and could run fast.

The tavern,,discussed above was probably just as bad but I couldn't run that far 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    The White Swan at Ash was a total no go pub for many years... opposite Swan Farm. If you know, you know.  Later turned into a decent restaurant pub, but I'm going back many years.

The nearby Gamecock as previously mentioned wasnt that friendly even for locals at the time like myself. Always something going on there. Bob the landlord and his Mrs were always semi pissed. 
    I heard that the friendly travelling folk beat the landlord to near death. Like you say they moved on (or were moved on) from Swan Farm and the pub was a nice place to go after that.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Used to drink in there after we played against Ash at cricket years ago…grim pub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Nice guy. I shared a flat with one of his girlfriends in Canterbury in the 70s. Big music scene there then. I also knew Steve Hilledge and Barbara Gaskin (she lived next door). I was in one of the Canterbury bands for a while. Best pub was the Jolly Sailor ( not very rough).

Love Steve Hillage. Saw him live a couple of years ago  - brilliant gig. Did you know any of Caravan mate?  Pye Hastings etc?   
  • Options
    TEL said:

I heard that the friendly travelling folk beat the landlord to near death. Like you say they moved on (or were moved on) from Swan Farm and the pub was a nice place to go after that.
    I remember a Police raid on Swan Farm back in the day - at the back of the site were loads of old wrecked cars - Police solved something like 50 or 60 stolen car cases going back a few years from the VIN plates

Also, back in the day, some of the ‘residents’ of Swan Farm had an ongoing feud with some people in New Ash Green - the Swan Farm lot created a home made bomb to put on one of the New Ash Green lot’s garage door - but the bloke putting the bomb in place cocked up and blew his own arms off 😳

The White Swan was indeed a very rough and horrible pub back then
  • Options
    A friend's son got attacked outside a pub in ash a few years back. Think it was the white swan.
     From memory it's because the group thought he or one of those he was with was gay or something so he answered back to them. Shut them up but they took offence. So an hour or so after when it was chucking out time he got attacked in the car park by these lads. 
    Never been there myself. Closest one I have been to is the one in the park when I played some football there. Nice outlook but a lot, understandably due to the park, kids running around. 
  • Options
    White Swan used to do a lovely lamb roast. Weird pub.  Diners one side and over by the gents some of Kent and SE Londons top drug dealers even though they dont look like it.
  • Options
    TEL said:

I remember a Police raid on Swan Farm back in the day - at the back of the site were loads of old wrecked cars - Police solved something like 50 or 60 stolen car cases going back a few years from the VIN plates

Also, back in the day, some of the ‘residents’ of Swan Farm had an ongoing feud with some people in New Ash Green - the Swan Farm lot created a home made bomb to put on one of the New Ash Green lot’s garage door - but the bloke putting the bomb in place cocked up and blew his own arms off 😳

I 'spose he's harmless now.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    not a pub but i was in butlins bognor regis at the weekend
    Butlins Bognor Regis is like a 6 star hotel compared to Pontins Camber Sands. My boss has got plenty of cash but keeps suggesting these holiday camp 80s weekenders. Not my thing at all, but a necessary evil to keep my career prospects alive. Did a few at Butlins and then he started downgrading to Pontins. It is unbelievable. Everything about the place is revolting, including most of the punters. Last time I went there I decided "fuck my career prospects, never coming here again." Trip Advisor reviews are worth a read
    Remember staying in Bognor Regis and going past it, honestly looked abandoned, the reviews are hilarious. My personal favorite is "The last guests had also left a nice little gift for us in the toilet…."
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Butlins Bognor Regis is like a 6 star hotel compared to Pontins Camber Sands. My boss has got plenty of cash but keeps suggesting these holiday camp 80s weekenders. Not my thing at all, but a necessary evil to keep my career prospects alive. Did a few at Butlins and then he started downgrading to Pontins. It is unbelievable. Everything about the place is revolting, including most of the punters. Last time I went there I decided "fuck my career prospects, never coming here again." Trip Advisor reviews are worth a read
    I must have done around 50 holiday park breaks and Pontins Camber Sands is the only one we’ve ever sacked off and come home early from.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I must have done around 50 holiday park breaks and Pontins Camber Sands is the only one we’ve ever sacked off and come home early from.
    Me too, in fact one of those trip advisor reviews will probably be mine from years ago, shithole of the highest order, and a lot of that is the clientele