Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    Once ended up in a pub in a council estate in Coventry the day of the ballons and the come back !
    That was proper rough! 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Downham Tavern in the 80's. OMG was like the end of the Thriller video.
    My younger brother had his scarf nicked by some Millwall fans at London Bridge back in the eighties. 
    A few weeks later 4 of us was playing snooker in the Downham Tavern and the Millwall blokes walked in..
    Done them in the bogs and scarpered quickly. 
    I've never been back.
    I doubt they’re still waiting for you mate.
    As the pub no longer exists you are probably right.
    Younger 😎 who mick.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Ferryman said:
    Downham Tavern in the 80's. OMG was like the end of the Thriller video.
    My younger brother had his scarf nicked by some Millwall fans at London Bridge back in the eighties. 
    A few weeks later 4 of us was playing snooker in the Downham Tavern and the Millwall blokes walked in..
    Done them in the bogs and scarpered quickly. 
    I've never been back.
    I doubt they’re still waiting for you mate.
    As the pub no longer exists you are probably right.
    Younger 😎 who mick.
    Chris
  • Options
    Farmhouse in Cold Harbour is pretty awful. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    not a pub but i was in butlins bognor regis at the weekend
    Butlins Bognor Regis is like a 6 star hotel compared to Pontins Camber Sands. My boss has got plenty of cash but keeps suggesting these holiday camp 80s weekenders. Not my thing at all, but a necessary evil to keep my career prospects alive. Did a few at Butlins and then he started downgrading to Pontins. It is unbelievable. Everything about the place is revolting, including most of the punters. Last time I went there I decided "fuck my career prospects, never coming here again." Trip Advisor reviews are worth a read
    Remember staying in Bognor Regis and going past it, honestly looked abandoned, the reviews are hilarious. My personal favorite is "The last guests had also left a nice little gift for us in the toilet…."
    Drove past the Camber Sands one last week, genuinely couldn't believe it was open, looks like it was abandoned in 2002
  • Options
    A friend's son got attacked outside a pub in ash a few years back. Think it was the white swan.
     From memory it's because the group thought he or one of those he was with was gay or something so he answered back to them. Shut them up but they took offence. So an hour or so after when it was chucking out time he got attacked in the car park by these lads. 
    Never been there myself. Closest one I have been to is the one in the park when I played some football there. Nice outlook but a lot, understandably due to the park, kids running around. 
    Cracking thread this!!!  I can't really add any more to the list, but the Swan is well known for being a bit rough
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Two pubs that have been mentioned.
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
    I used to know Duncan Sanderson
    That is genuinely impressive for me. Known to all as Sandy, part of the classic Duncan Sanderson, Paul Rudolph, Russell Hunter core.
    Nice guy. I shared a flat with one of his girlfriends in Canterbury in the 70s. Big music scene there then. I also knew Steve Hilledge and Barbara Gaskin (she lived next door). I was in one of the Canterbury bands for a while. Best pub was the Jolly Sailor ( not very rough).

Love Steve Hillage. Saw him live a couple of years ago  - brilliant gig. Did you know any of Caravan mate?  Pye Hastings etc?   
    Just picked up a really immaculate Vinyl copy of ..... Cunning Stunts. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Butlins Bognor Regis is like a 6 star hotel compared to Pontins Camber Sands. My boss has got plenty of cash but keeps suggesting these holiday camp 80s weekenders. Not my thing at all, but a necessary evil to keep my career prospects alive. Did a few at Butlins and then he started downgrading to Pontins. It is unbelievable. Everything about the place is revolting, including most of the punters. Last time I went there I decided "fuck my career prospects, never coming here again." Trip Advisor reviews are worth a read
    Remember staying in Bognor Regis and going past it, honestly looked abandoned, the reviews are hilarious. My personal favorite is "The last guests had also left a nice little gift for us in the toilet…."
    Drove past the Camber Sands one last week, genuinely couldn't believe it was open, looks like it was abandoned in 2002
    Isn’t Pontins owned by Britannia Hotels which are consistently voted worst hotel chain ? 

We went to the one at Brean Sands in Somerset back in 2018 and apart from the accommodation looking like something from a prisoner of war camp, the entertainment etc was really good. 

Although a few weeks later the ceiling in the main entertainment venue did partially collapse. 

I don’t know why they don’t raze all their accommodation to the ground, rebuild and charge a higher price. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrLargo said:
    Drove past the Camber Sands one last week, genuinely couldn't believe it was open, looks like it was abandoned in 1982
      Corrected it for you
  • Options
    Taking a quick look at the reviews of that Pontins at Camber Sands, you have to wonder how on earth anyone ever books to go there? There's even people saying that they booked despite the bad reviews, so what exactly were they expecting?

Sounds like a week in a South American prison would be more enjoyable.
  • Options
    This thread is turning too family friendly!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was set upon by three muggers last night, I still managed to knock one out.
    Not the best time for a wank I know, but it could have been my last.
    What pub were you in?
  • Options
    Taking a quick look at the reviews of that Pontins at Camber Sands, you have to wonder how on earth anyone ever books to go there? There's even people saying that they booked despite the bad reviews, so what exactly were they expecting?

I looked at the reviews too, cannot believe that anyone would book there. It's surprising that the authorities haven't closed it down, as it must pose a health hazard.
  • Options
    Whatever the one is up in Skegness, I'm sure its Butlins but I could be wrong. They onside kebab shop served my mate up a spam kebab. It looked and smelt disgusting, probably tasted disgusting but he ate it like the glutton he is and spent the next day shitting it out in everyone else's room once he innocently poked his horrible fat ginger head in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My Engineer who is Newbury born and bred stayed there a few years ago. He said it was full of unruly Sarf Londoners who thought of nothing else but running round the campsite and a annoying all the other holiday makers. He also said whilst he was there a lot of the holiday homes that fill the local roads got broken into. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was set upon by three muggers last night, I still managed to knock one out.
    Not the best time for a wank I know, but it could have been my last.
    What pub were you in?
    WanKing's Head
  • Options
    Your trying too hard.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    The Northbrook in Lee is where Glenda Jackson’s son lost an eye after being attacked for trying to stop a female being abused.
    The Harrow Inn Abbey Wood, saw the Pink Fairies there, it was great, a place that embraced the ‘alternative’.
    Also saw the Fairies at the Black Prince, and even at the Tramshed come to think about it.
    That is genuinely impressive for me. Known to all as Sandy, part of the classic Duncan Sanderson, Paul Rudolph, Russell Hunter core.
    Nice guy. I shared a flat with one of his girlfriends in Canterbury in the 70s. Big music scene there then. I also knew Steve Hilledge and Barbara Gaskin (she lived next door). I was in one of the Canterbury bands for a while. Best pub was the Jolly Sailor ( not very rough).

Love Steve Hillage. Saw him live a couple of years ago  - brilliant gig. Did you know any of Caravan mate?  Pye Hastings etc?   
    I saw Hatfield & The North at the Gulbenkian Theatre in ‘73 or ‘74 although were they a ‘Canterbury scene’ band? 
    And when I moved to London in ‘77 my flat mate ended up playing bass with Hillage - ‘78 or ‘79. They played at Glastonbury and the band slept in tents, while Hillage had a nice trailer. Fair enough I guess. 
    I quite liked Egg, and had a couple of Caravan albums as well. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:

I did not. But Geoff Richardson of Caravan took my place when I left the band I was in.
  • Options
    laneender said:
    Back in 2007, there was a bar in Kabul called L'Atmosphere. You needed to approach slowly, and on foot, as there are two guards with Kalashnikovs behind sandbags at the door. Once you have shown them your ID they bang on a steel door and a small slit opens. They look you over and then the door opens. You go into a room with more guards and Kalashnikovs to be searched and then through a metal detector. They then knock on another steel door and you go in. Once in there was a bar selling all drinks for $5. The drink of the day is whatever they can get their hands on. I have spent whole evenings drinking out of date Heineken, Baileys and Desperados. Watched the 2007 Rugby World Cup games there.

Not a bar/pub, but when you went to a party at a UN or other NGO house they would have a gun room. Just like handing over your coat when you arrive, but your gun instead!
    Sounds a bit like that bar/club in Prague I went to with a couple of mates!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    seth plum said:

I saw Hatfield & The North at the Gulbenkian Theatre in ‘73 or ‘74 although were they a ‘Canterbury scene’ band? 
    And when I moved to London in ‘77 my flat mate ended up playing bass with Hillage - ‘78 or ‘79. They played at Glastonbury and the band slept in tents, while Hillage had a nice trailer. Fair enough I guess. 
    I quite liked Egg, and had a couple of Caravan albums as well. 
    I love Caravan. Land of the grey and Pink is a classic album. Cunning Stunts also. Saw them years ago in Brixton at the Fridge of all places. They were outstanding.