Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    Smithy said:
    I've got a mate who has only been to the Gordon Arms in Chislehurst twice and both times someone died outside
    You're presuming it wasn't him bumping them off?
    Good point, never asked. I did steer clear after that though.
  • Options
    Chatham Chest , Chatham.
  • Options
    The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 
    All the strippers looked like crack heads . A truly revolting pub. 

Why was it your local when in London 😱
  • Options
    The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 

Because he lived near by?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I was lost in Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA) and pushed open the door into a bar, it was so rough that I spun around and rugby tackled my mates back through the door. Christ. I'm surprised I wasn't shot on entry. 

In the UK, Cressy Arms in Dartford. 
    I’m fascinated - I know you were lost, but any clue as to where you were in Cambridge, and when? I’ve been here over 30 years and can’t think of anywhere dodgy. Mind you, I grew up in Plumstead and Woolwich, so I may not be the best judge. 

My vote is the Antigallican. I once opened the door, but didn’t even step in. Wasn’t a game day, I just looked like somewhere I didn’t want to be. There was also a couple of pubs on Wellington St in Woolwich, either side of the South Circular, which were visited once and never again. Can’t remember their names. 
  • Options
    Someone took the piss out of me once for wearing a suit in the Antigallican.

It was a weekday, roughly 7pm. I'd just come from work. I didn't understand the controversy. 
  • Options
    When I was a student lived on White Hart Lane in Tottenham. There was a pub called The Bank on the corner of WHL and Tottenham High Road. There were frequent incidents there that resulted in the pub and surrounding area being cordoned off due to a "major incident". Most notably, someone getting an axe buried in their head. Genuinely dangerous place.

The New Inn in Bar and Ball, Sevenoaks was an easy place to get into trouble. All the local wannabe hardmen drank in there. With the benefit of hindsight, I don't think any of them were that tough. Doesn't take much to be the hardest man in Sevenoaks! But full of idiots wanting a scrap, claiming to be related to Kenneth Noye and so on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Henry Cooper ... mate got glassed in neck ... was standing next to him ... about 1986 ... was a bloody messy ... never went back!
  • Options
    Harp of Erin in Deptford was a very iffy place to visit if you weren’t ‘known’ to the regulars 
  • Options
    The Henry Cooper ... mate got glassed in neck ... was standing next to him ... about 1986 ... was a bloody messy ... never went back!
    the Henry Ford in Dagenham was so renowned as a rucking rollin boozer, we renamed it the Henry Cooper .. and it started off so well lol, but not for long .. this is back in the 80s .. believe a McDonalds now stands on the site
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Harp of Erin in Deptford was a very iffy place to visit if you weren’t ‘known’ to the regulars 
    I remember going in there as a kid with my Uncle Johnny. Would have been late 70’s. I distinctly remember being really confused as everyone called him Seamus.
    Wasn’t until I was much older I realised that was actually his name & he changed it so he could get work 🙄
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Chunes said:
    I was lost in Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA) and pushed open the door into a bar, it was so rough that I spun around and rugby tackled my mates back through the door. Christ. I'm surprised I wasn't shot on entry. 

I’m fascinated - I know you were lost, but any clue as to where you were in Cambridge, and when? I’ve been here over 30 years and can’t think of anywhere dodgy. Mind you, I grew up in Plumstead and Woolwich, so I may not be the best judge. 

My vote is the Antigallican. I once opened the door, but didn’t even step in. Wasn’t a game day, I just looked like somewhere I didn’t want to be. There was also a couple of pubs on Wellington St in Woolwich, either side of the South Circular, which were visited once and never again. Can’t remember their names. 
    Was about eight years ago. Unfortunately I'm cursed with an awful sense of direction and memory for this stuff so I couldn't tell you where it was. I'm pretty sure it was Cambridge. I'm also Woolwich/Plumstead born and raised, so we've got the same reference points. I do remember being quite surprised by how rough the area surrounding Harvard seemed. But I guess in Boston there is rough and then there is rough
  • Options

Because i was (and still am)  a railway engineer based at Kings Cross. 
  • Options
    Belvoir Tavern in Erith. The locals seemed to run the pub. The brewery put a “strong” guvnor in charge. He took a hiding and the next day he posted the keys through the letter box.
    It has gone now; lovely boozer.
  • Options
    Gin Palace on the Old Kent Road would take some beating

And I can still remember a particularly bad experience at Sheffield Utd away on a midweek away match in the mid 90s, didn’t hang around there for long 
  • Options
    The Wat Tyler, Ferrier Estate. A picture paints a thousand words.

I Lived there for over 20 years , just off the top of my head a couple of things , Smoke bombs thrown through the door and the fruit machine taken , and the annual BBQ outside everytime the sun came out , just turn up with your own chairs and grill and your set , it was like the wild west when you walking there for a drink , the music stopped and everyone turned around to look at you . Ah happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another vote for the Flying Scotsman. A truly horrendous establishment.

Where beds is wrong though, it was only 50p in the pint glass, there was no way they could charge a full pound for those horrors.
  • Options
    The Pheasant in Northumberland Heath was always a treat too.
    I always found that quiet and dull. A mate of mine dragged me down to a pub on West Street in Erith (might have been The Ship) to watch a Charlton game, and apart from the crap beer and signs in the toilet requesting people not to sell or consume drugs on the premesisi, the clientelle were horrible. But for me, pride of place goes to the Coach and Horses in Dartford. Horrible pub.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Probably The Star and The Victoria
  • Options
    My vote goes to Cundys in Silvertown which I think has been closed. 
  • Options
    Aka - got chucked out for not putting £1 in.. 😉
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    I've got a mate who has only been to the Gordon Arms in Chislehurst twice and both times someone died outside
    My grandad local back in the 70's. He was always in there. He also died.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Was about eight years ago. Unfortunately I'm cursed with an awful sense of direction and memory for this stuff so I couldn't tell you where it was. I'm pretty sure it was Cambridge. I'm also Woolwich/Plumstead born and raised, so we've got the same reference points. I do remember being quite surprised by how rough the area surrounding Harvard seemed. But I guess in Boston there is rough and then there is rough
    I’m on the subway at Harvard as I type I can’t think where you were. There’s no dodgy area around Harvard. Even the cheapest property goes for close to $1m. If you walked towards Boston on Mass Ave you’d hit Central Square, which is a bit more colorful, but still nothing like as colorful as Woolwich on a Saturday night. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    The Scotsman was great on the way home from away games. You'd get all sorts of football fans in there, putting aside rivalries for a mutual appreciation of bad beer and worse boobs. 

I'm sure they stopped the music in there once as they thought I'd taken a photo of the stage, but I was actually showing a Forest fan pics of my day out in Scunthorpe or somewhere.
    Putting rivalries aside… I only ever witnessed aggro there as most northern firms sunk a few before heading home.

Remember our lot having a ding dong with a club who escapes me now, after Sheff Wed away in the cup 2004 (I think).

Good times…