Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much any pub in Slade Green/Erith although the vast majority are gone now.

Took my cousin for a weekday afternoon drink in the Style & Winch once and we both managed to get barred, despite there only being a handful of 'customers' in there.

Got clumped in the face from behind by two gentlemen in the 90s in the Lord Raglan without any provocation, presumably because I had a pony tail at the time.
  • Options
    A pub in South Africa near Ellis Park in Jo'burg. Way worse then any I've been in any other country
  • Options
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned the King & Queen public bar, Mottingham estate. 
  • Options
    Market Tavern, Huddersfield. The Peacock, Leeds. More locally, The Anglesea Arms and the very long gone King and Queen in Mottingham 
  • Options
    Oh and The Fratton Arms
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Market Tavern, Huddersfield. The Peacock, Leeds. More locally, The Anglesea Arms and the very long gone King and Queen in Mottingham 
    The Peackock isn't that bad if Leeds aren't playing, even a couple of the nicer bars in town become rough as fuck when they do, even worse when they are on tele.

There was a pub I went in on an estate in Ashford a few times, the Nelson, I think.  That was rough.

Asquith's in Morley isn't "rough" as such more weird.
  • Options
    The British Queen, just round the corner from White Hart Lane station.  Absolute utter shithole but as a 15yo going Spurs with a few mates, we knew we'd get served in there!
  • Options
    The Railway Tavern Tilbury , had the windows smashed so many times that they didnt replace them , just left with chip board .
  • Options
    I worked in a pub in Portsmouth as a student that had permanently boarded up windows and the table and chairs were screwed to the floor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross , now a restaurant but used to be a strippers joint , pound in the glass pub .
    The toilets were that disgusting that there were stalactites of male bodily fluid hanging off the walls and ceiling. 
    All the strippers looked like crack heads . A truly revolting pub. 
    Now The Scottish Stores in very stark contrast.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    ElfsborgAddick lf I'm not mistaken 
    Too tall mate.
    The blonde one actually looks like Simon Le Bon.
  • Options
    Barge pole in Thamesmead.  Thankfully gone now! 
  • Options
    Bradford away, the first away of Robinsons stint.
    @roseandcrown dragged us into a bar that resembled somebody's living room.  An absolute shocker.
  • Options
    @roseandcrown dragged us into a bar that resembled somebody's living room.  An absolute shocker.
    Near the station?  Really trying to think where you mean.
  • Options
  • Options
    For those old enough The Mitre in Woolwich, just down from Manzies on the corner, a bikers pub. Fortunately I was mates with a bikers brother, used to go with him just to watch the fights 
  • Options
    Never ventured in but The Barge Pole in Thamesmead was the most feared boozer I remember. Apparently if you drank in there and turned your pint glass upside down on the bar that was a challenge to fight the hardest bloke in there !!
  • Options
    Bulldog - Swindon. Was playing the Fruit Machine, when a guy told me it was his Fruit Machine and I should get off it(well in words to that effect)!! Given the Yellow Streak down my back I did!! About 6 months later pub featured on "UK's Wosrt Pub". Now a Tesco's Express.
    That was the second-nearest pub to me, back when I first moved to my current corner of Swindon. Never went into it and it's quite possible I don't know anyone who ever did. Always had the impression you needed a criminal record to get served there.

The Bell in Swindon Old Town used to be a fun place in the early nineties. Decent beer, music was mainly punk, popular with bikers. Great place, but definitely somewhere to be careful about looking people in the eye. The recent graduates at my then-employer sometimes used to meet up there, but only if none of the loud and/or posh people were joining us. 
  • Options
    Old Friends in Greenwich - not sure that it was rough as in clientele, as the times we went in there were no problems -  but it definitely needed a lick of paint towards the end!!

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project-c/Old-Friends-Greenwich.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Not what i would class as rough pub but have been to some strange and dirty ones. One strange one springs to mind...

Went to a pub very close to Gillinghams train station a few years back. We were playing them so me and my sister went there for a first drink as we arrived in Gillingham. 

Now as all proper Charlton fans should know, the closest pub to a train station is usually the site of some of the most debauched people in our society as this is usually the last port of call before a train ride home where most end up missing their station to get off. I should know I have on numerous occasions been one of those people. anyway, this was a Saturday afternoon, roughly half 12 so I thought it would be safe. 

As we walked in to the pub there was two chaps standing 2 inches away from the wall staring at the wallpaper. 

They weren't the only people though. Their was a group of four playing pool. however we found out that some of the balls were missing as they had been used the previous night to smash up the fruit machine. 

The barmaid who served us was polite enough to at least ask us what we want. Problem was they only had one beer on and that happened to not be the same beer that the label suggested it was. 

We had our drinks but didn't sit down due to the fact the chairs and tables were all at different heights. 

The two chaps who were staring at the wall paper were still there, barely moved bar some gentle swaying every now and then. I don't know if this was some form of entertainment, a dare or a bet but after we had one very quick drink and walked out of the place they were still at it. dedication. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    1/2 mile from ground, road running parallel to the main road.
    A bit like Bradford, an absolute toilet.
  • Options
    The Wat Tyler, Ferrier Estate. A picture paints a thousand words.

Lived on the ferrier for years, proper moody pub
  • Options
    Someone took the piss out of me once for wearing a suit in the Antigallican.

It was a weekday, roughly 7pm. I'd just come from work. I didn't understand the controversy. 
    Clean shirt wanker
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    I've got a mate who has only been to the Gordon Arms in Chislehurst twice and both times someone died outside
    My local. It got a lot better but it's recently changed hands at the same time as the Queen's Head also in Chislehurst. 

Queens Head has started barring all the lads who do ketamine and cause trouble so as a consequence the Gordon has gone back downhill. 

Last time I was there there were a bunch of lads doing laughing gas balloons in the front garden. 
  • Options
    Bulldog - Swindon. Was playing the Fruit Machine, when a guy told me it was his Fruit Machine and I should get off it(well in words to that effect)!! Given the Yellow Streak down my back I did!! About 6 months later pub featured on "UK's Wosrt Pub". Now a Tesco's Express.
    That was the second-nearest pub to me, back when I first moved to my current corner of Swindon. Never went into it and it's quite possible I don't know anyone who ever did. Always had the impression you needed a criminal record to get served there.

The Bell in Swindon Old Town used to be a fun place in the early nineties. Decent beer, music was mainly punk, popular with bikers. Great place, but definitely somewhere to be careful about looking people in the eye. The recent graduates at my then-employer sometimes used to meet up there, but only if none of the loud and/or posh people were joining us. 
    Grew up in Swindon and did go into The Bulldog a couple of times as it was comically the closest to the A-level college despite being in a rough area. Definitely not student friendly. The Cock Robin was another one to stay well away from plus quite a lot of others to be honest!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    1/2 mile from ground, road running parallel to the main road.
    A bit like Bradford, an absolute toilet.
    Was it the beehive, little legs.
    The one where you was being a perv and taking photos of the toilets?
  • Options
    I worked in a pub in Portsmouth as a student that had permanently boarded up windows and the table and chairs were screwed to the floor
    You absolutely sure that wasn't the Cherbourg ferry?

Anyway, the roughest pub I haven't been in. Was out for a meal, crawled out of the restaurant in rural Norn Iron and said to my sister "that pub over the road looks really nice" anyone fancy a nightcap? "We can't go in there, idiot" she said. "That's a nationalist pub,  we've got  English accents. You'd end up buried in Ballynahone Bog."  You have to choose your pubs carefully in Ulster.