Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roughest pub you've been in

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Some of these pubs especially the flying Scotsman I have a real fondness for! 

Its always hard to judge a pub on its appearance, been in some genuine shitholes or that you think are going to be shitholes and find them class. When people talk to me about rough pubs, like genuinely you need your bumps felt for choosing to go in and remain 2 spring to mind 

1) The Kemsley Arms in Sittingbourne. It was the first place I had a regular spot DJing every Friday and I witnessed first hand some astonishing violence. After working there I've never been intimidated whilst DJing 

2) The Hogarth, Isle of Grain. This place actually looks ok, but can turn into the wild west in a heartbeat and the response police aren't getting there anytime soon of it goes off big time so the landlord would take names and ask questions later. 

Great shout whoever said the Chatham Chest, yeah Chatham wasn't short of spicy pubs but the Chatham chest was a tinderbox. The command house always used to be a heady mix of locals and squaddies from Kitchener barracks. Seen about 5 people thrown in the Medway from there one of them was a laugh the rest were people being dragged over to the river and thrown in. 

Some bad ones in Chatham 

The Princes Park, a guy I knew ran it for a short time. He is known locally as someone to not accept a fight, wrestle or game of tiddlywinks with. One Saturday afternoon a couple had gone in there for some food and a couple of drinks. Went over to the bar, told the barmaid there was a naked man asleep on the pool table and could she get the manager. Barmaid looked over and said 'that is the manager'. Seems to be run OK now, the woman who has it is determined to do something to make it work and I wish her well 

The Kestrel, once upon a time was a nice pub that you could visit with your family for food and a pleasant evening. Its a tesco express now and just before it closed the nights in there were truly anarchic, last days of Rome stuff 

The White Horse, Rainham. This is a shithole but for some reason a functioning one. If you can't get shagging on a Friday night in there send your genitals to someone who needs them. You don't 

The Trafalgar Maid. Estate pub, flat roof, local nutters, pissheads lots of frequent low level violence and a big ruckus about every 90 days 

The Sir Robert Peel, that was a frightening pub. Everyone who was barred from the other nutter pubs on the white road estate got sent to drink here. They had a cross dressing barmaid. About 6 foot 4 who was capable of very quick extreme lethality when necessary 

The White Lion, this place is somehow still going pretty strong. Less of a shithole than it used to be and more of a scumbag pub than a dangerous pub 
    Frequented a few of them in my Medway days. Whilst The Kestrel was the local pub I used to go in Lordswood snooker club more. That had a few characters in there too.
  • Options
    Ventured into The Antigallican once a couple of hours after the final whistle. Away fans long gone but OMG!!
  • Options
    Ventured into The Antigallican once a couple of hours after the final whistle. Away fans long gone but OMG!!
    Back in the 70s I went in there when we played sheff Wednesday. 
    About 15 of us.
    I've still got the bruises to prove it.

Twas an interesting day to say the least 
  • Options
    Carter said:

Its always hard to judge a pub on its appearance, been in some genuine shitholes or that you think are going to be shitholes and find them class. When people talk to me about rough pubs, like genuinely you need your bumps felt for choosing to go in and remain 2 spring to mind 

1) The Kemsley Arms in Sittingbourne. It was the first place I had a regular spot DJing every Friday and I witnessed first hand some astonishing violence. After working there I've never been intimidated whilst DJing 

2) The Hogarth, Isle of Grain. This place actually looks ok, but can turn into the wild west in a heartbeat and the response police aren't getting there anytime soon of it goes off big time so the landlord would take names and ask questions later. 

Great shout whoever said the Chatham Chest, yeah Chatham wasn't short of spicy pubs but the Chatham chest was a tinderbox. The command house always used to be a heady mix of locals and squaddies from Kitchener barracks. Seen about 5 people thrown in the Medway from there one of them was a laugh the rest were people being dragged over to the river and thrown in. 

Some bad ones in Chatham 

The Princes Park, a guy I knew ran it for a short time. He is known locally as someone to not accept a fight, wrestle or game of tiddlywinks with. One Saturday afternoon a couple had gone in there for some food and a couple of drinks. Went over to the bar, told the barmaid there was a naked man asleep on the pool table and could she get the manager. Barmaid looked over and said 'that is the manager'. Seems to be run OK now, the woman who has it is determined to do something to make it work and I wish her well 

The Kestrel, once upon a time was a nice pub that you could visit with your family for food and a pleasant evening. Its a tesco express now and just before it closed the nights in there were truly anarchic, last days of Rome stuff 

The White Horse, Rainham. This is a shithole but for some reason a functioning one. If you can't get shagging on a Friday night in there send your genitals to someone who needs them. You don't 

The Trafalgar Maid. Estate pub, flat roof, local nutters, pissheads lots of frequent low level violence and a big ruckus about every 90 days 

The Sir Robert Peel, that was a frightening pub. Everyone who was barred from the other nutter pubs on the white road estate got sent to drink here. They had a cross dressing barmaid. About 6 foot 4 who was capable of very quick extreme lethality when necessary 

The White Lion, this place is somehow still going pretty strong. Less of a shithole than it used to be and more of a scumbag pub than a dangerous pub 
    Frequented a few of them in my Medway days. Whilst The Kestrel was the local pub I used to go in Lordswood snooker club more. That had a few characters in there too.
    The snooker club with no snooker tables! I used to live very close to it and used it on Fridays, it was a time warp it shut when the last paying customer left. Its got a good restaurant in there now where the snooker room then function room was
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned the Kentish Drovers down the Old Kent Road. Was in there one Friday night early 80’s minding my own business when the bouncers made an almighty dash to lock the doors. Before grabbing pick axe handles. Before I knew it the windows were being put in and there must’ve been a dozen blokes trying to get in. Never did find out what happened but I was on my toes. The pub shut not long after that and we started drinking in the Henry Cooper. This was a bit rough but always felt reasonably safe as I knew one of the doormen very well.  
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Some bad ones in Chatham 

The snooker club with no snooker tables! I used to live very close to it and used it on Fridays, it was a time warp it shut when the last paying customer left. Its got a good restaurant in there now where the snooker room then function room was
    Is that the place that had bowling alleys?

My Sister used to live in Lordswood. I used to travel up from Eltham each Thursday to play pool for The Sherwood. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Carter said:
    Carter said:

Some bad ones in Chatham 

• Options
    DA9 said:
    I went to the wat Tyler in dartford in the late 90's. I was ever under age or just 18 and probably looked out of place in pubs. A hairy arsed builder sat at the bar told me and my mate to fuck off. We were young and didn't really get what was going on. His mate then shouted, you type aren't welcome here. Fuck off you shirt lifters. Not frequented that establishment since!
    I know the current landlord of that pub, still a shithole, full of pissheads and skanks 
    But is he OK with shirtlifters now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

Some bad ones in Chatham 

Is that the place that had bowling alleys?

My Sister used to live in Lordswood. I used to travel up from Eltham each Thursday to play pool for The Sherwood. 
    Thats the one, still has the bowling alleys 

Lordswood is stuffed with ex-pat South Londoners 
  • Options
    I went to the wat Tyler in dartford in the late 90's. I was ever under age or just 18 and probably looked out of place in pubs. A hairy arsed builder sat at the bar told me and my mate to fuck off. We were young and didn't really get what was going on. His mate then shouted, you type aren't welcome here. Fuck off you shirt lifters. Not frequented that establishment since!
    What is a shirt lifter?
  • Options
    Cant remember the name of the pub but it was in a mining village nr Dunfermline called Valleyfield. Probably a block of flats now.

My workmates at the dockyard told me to avoid it as they don't like the English in there, and we also had a slinger that lived there and he told me that too.

Wasn't having that. so the Mrs and me walked in one Saturday lunchtime asked the Mrs what she wanted, walked to the bar all happy with myself and as soon as i opened my mouth, the landlord said we don't serve English people in here. I looked around the room and in deadly silence we were given a guard of honour to the door out of the pub.

Never went near that village again.
    There's a pub there called The Valley. Surely you could of got served there?! 
    May well have been that but i would have got the connection. The whole village was a shithole, it was always in the local news. The sort of place that used to repair the swings/slides etc in the local parks only for the yobbos to tear them down the same day.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Went into an Irish pub in Luton once prior to the match about a mile from the ground, in about 1980. The landlord asked me and a mate to put some money in a collection box for the family of an IRA man that had been killed. We refused and the short walk to the door was one of the longest i had ever done.

There is another pub in Liverpool in the Kensington distinct that i popped into about 16 years ago whilst moving my daughter out of digs. The area is rough as anything and not sure why she lived there as she had almost all her belongings pinched from the other housemates.

Typically she wasn't ready so i popped into the local for a pint while i waited. I got my paper out that i bought on the way up there, had a Charlton shirt on and on opening the paper a local scruff came over and i thought wanted to engage in footie conversation etc.

He didn't i had bought the sun paper and was told in no certain terms that that rag or anyone reading it wasn't welcome in there. I didn't hang around for long when it attracted some other of the local scruffs attention.
  • Options

Could only find this pic but was the Golden Dragon back of Brockley
  • Options
    Bulldog - Swindon. Was playing the Fruit Machine, when a guy told me it was his Fruit Machine and I should get off it(well in words to that effect)!! Given the Yellow Streak down my back I did!! About 6 months later pub featured on "UK's Wosrt Pub". Now a Tesco's Express.
    That may have been the same pub when before a night game we was at the bar and I said to a mate do you fancy a game of bar billiards before he answered a guy sitting at the bar got up and walked over and sat on the bar billiard table.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Uboat said:

Well worth a visit next time we're at PNE. Yes it is open at 11 today if you're in the area. Pool table and some chairs. Lino and really atmospheric strip lighting.
    They’ve done a good job of creating a Blitz vibe. 
    To be fair we were made very welcome, just down the road is the Royal Consort which is equally tired. Needless to say all sorts goes on round here but walk with confidence as they say.
  • Options
    Durham Arms Canning Town is/was worth a shout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well worth a visit next time we're at PNE. Yes it is open at 11 today if you're in the area. Pool table and some chairs. Lino and really atmospheric strip lighting.
    Jesus Christ!
  • Options
    Played gigs in several South East London pubs, like the Amersham, the Seven Stars in Deptford, the Old Tiger’s Head in Lee, but the rankest gaff of all was the Thomas A Beckett (boxing pub) in the Old Kent Road.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Toby Carveries - any of them 

I'm a peace loving person and I had to scarper quickly from a Toby Carvery when I saw a guy with a long sharp knife. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Toby Carveries - any of them 

I'm a peace loving person and I had to scarper quickly from a Toby Carvery when I saw a guy with a long sharp knife. 
    Some people just have beef with this.
  • Options
    Wasnt the Old Tigers Head a Bikers pub back in the day ? , Vaguely remember someone being shot there     
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Yes a bikers pub because of the handy space at the front to park the motorbikes.
    Not that far away in Mottingham there is a Harley Davison dealership which attracts ‘characters’ from all over.
    I think the Palmerston pub in Sydenham was also a pub for a Hells Angels ‘chapter’.
    Back in the day there was a strong biker culture in South East London, I don’t know how it is now.
  • Options
    I think there were a few rough pubs in Welling a few decades back? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes a bikers pub because of the handy space at the front to park the motorbikes.
    Not that far away in Mottingham there is a Harley Davison dealership which attracts ‘characters’ from all over.
    I think the Palmerston pub in Sydenham was also a pub for a Hells Angels ‘chapter’.
    Back in the day there was a strong biker culture in South East London, I don’t know how it is now.
    I might be wrong about the Sydenham pub. Was it the Duke of Edinburgh?
    Down the road a bit on the opposite side to the famous axe murder pub.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I might be wrong about the Sydenham pub. Was it the Duke of Edinburgh?
    Down the road a bit on the opposite side to the famous axe murder pub.
    The Dutch House , another Bikers Pub and im sure there was a chapter house in well hall back in the 70,s