Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Grim all round, with Durham sliding to defeat against Surrey, and Somerset struggling against Lancashire.
  • Was unhappy about being in meetings all morning at work but it’s meant I haven’t had to follow another woeful collapse 
  • Grim all round, with Durham sliding to defeat against Surrey, and Somerset struggling against Lancashire.
    The giant crumb of comfort is that if Lancs win, and Worcs decide to play the kids against them, Warwickshire are *bang* in trouble lol
  • edited September 19
    There is absolutely no consistency with any of these players we have is there, leaning either goes big or gets absolutely nothing. 
    He's not unique sadly and is top of our averages (not including the once out Jaydn) this season with 35.77. In fact, Compton, Crawley, Denly, Evison, Muyeye, DBD and Muyeye are all between 32.03 and 35.77
    I've said previously that those averages for this season are in keeping with that of their careers. For arguments sake, any six from those averaging say 34 in a match when added to the other five batters plus extras should get us about 650 runs in a match especially if someone like a Stevens is batting at 7.

In fact, in 2018 we finished runners up in Division 2 of the CC and our batsman actually performed even worse than they have this season. The top 10 in the averages were Denly (34.40), Kuhn (33.91), Crawley (31.45), Billings (30.83), Dickson (28.40), Stewart (25.87), Henry (21.64), DBD (19.81), Stevens (19.37) and Podmore (19.00).

The difference was the bowling - Henry (75), Podmore (43) and Stevens (42) took 160 wickets between them at just 18.51 per wicket. This season, our top three bowlers are Parkinson (30), Garrett (21) and Evison (18) - that's 69 wickets at 43.67 per wicket. Therein lies our biggest issue. Injuries to Cohen, Quinn, Gilchrist and Agar, amongst others, hasn't helped at all but the difference between the bowling attack of 2018 and 2024 is absolutely massive.  
  • 196-7 at lunch and 12 runs behind
  • Sussex win and are promoted
  • 209-9, we are 1 run ahead, we can do it ☹️👎
  • The good news is that Notts are going to have to bat again. The bad news is that we are one run ahead with one wicket in hand!
  • At least we've made them bat again.

Woeful this season absolutely woeful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Evison is so much more effective with the bat at 6/7, rather than higher up the order.
  • edited September 19
    Evison is so much more effective with the bat at 6/7, rather than higher up the order.
    Agree in red ball cricket but he has done a decent job as opener in the 50 over stuff at times.
  • LenGlover said:
    Evison is so much more effective with the bat at 6/7, rather than higher up the order.
    Agree in red ball cricket but he has done a decent job as opener in the 50 over stuff at times.
    He averaged 22 in this year's one day cup, playing as a top order batsman
  • edited September 19
    We have to bowl Notts out for 21 to win the game. Notts only have 145 overs to score the requisite 23 for them to win. 
  • A bad day and a sad day for Kent Cricket.

The club needs a big clear out both on and off the field.
  • LenGlover said:
    He averaged 22 in this year's one day cup, playing as a top order batsman
    Not so good this year like most of them but scored a ton last year opening and was man of the match.
  • A bad day and a sad day for Kent Cricket.

The club needs a big clear out both on and off the field.
    Walks, as we know, is leaving and I suspect half a dozen or so players will be going too. It's a question of who we can attract for the money we have to offer and in Division 2 given we are a non Hundred/Test hosting county too.  
  • Will be interesting to see what happens next year. So many questionable decisions have been made by this management and getting agar back already for next year makes no sense to me either, another bowler who seems to not be able to play many matches in a row before breaking down. Handing out denly a long contract, not having competition for finch are one of many issues for me  
  • Just throwing someone out there as a suggestion, I wonder if Kent might have a look at Ari Karvelas? Could be a solid seam option in all formats - doesn't seem to be fancied by Farbrace behind Robinson, the 3 overseas seamers we've had , Henry Crocombe and Sean Hunt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Just throwing someone out there as a suggestion, I wonder if Kent might have a look at Ari Karvelas? Could be a solid seam option in all formats - doesn't seem to be fancied by Farbrace behind Robinson, the 3 overseas seamers we've had , Henry Crocombe and Sean Hunt. 
    He used to play for Tunbridge Wells in the Kent Prem. He's certainly not the worst suggestion and the sort of member of the pool we're fishing in
  • Heard a rumour that Surrey are going to be laying on a coach service from various places in Kent up to Kennington.
  • Sussex win and are promoted
    Sussex will be looking to cherry-pick from the Kent squad. Or maybe not.
  • Leuth said:
    Grim all round, with Durham sliding to defeat against Surrey, and Somerset struggling against Lancashire.
    The giant crumb of comfort is that if Lancs win, and Worcs decide to play the kids against them, Warwickshire are *bang* in trouble lol
    Oh wait no, even better: we play the kids, Warwickshire win, and Worcs 2s go down. Ta ta Clarke, Haynes, Tongue and Pennington : D
  • Heard a rumour that Surrey are going to be laying on a coach service from various places in Kent up to Kennington.
    Setting off from Larkfield I assume?
  • Ogborne has just taken two wickets in two balls in his first over in the final of the Metro which is now 20 overs a side
  • I'd forgotten he'd played 2 games for Kent this season
  • edited September 23
    And Dickson has taken a blinding catch now

Ogborne and Dickson - ones of our own!

Edit: Northeast makes it three with 50* (39)