Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2023 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

Cricketer Stuart Broad, jockey Frankie Dettori, footballer Mary Earps, wheelchair tennis player Alfie Hewett, athlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson and golfer Rory McIlroy are the nominees.

Voting will take place during the show on BBC One on Tuesday, 19 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/67623729

Comments

• Options
    Earps 1/8 Bet 365 and others 
    Broad 10/1 Paddy Power and others 
    Dettori 40/1 LiveScore Bet 
    K J-T 22/1 Sporting Index and others 
    Hewett 80/1 Spread Ex 
    McIlroy 100/1 Betway and others 
  • Options
    Am surprised that McIlroy has never won it before, him or Broad for me

Why is Earps the clear favourite? - Would get it if England had won the World Cup
  • Options
    Broad comfortably takes this. Very weak year by SPOTY standards with no Lewis Hamilton for the first time in many years surely? 
  • Options
    I would vote Ronnie every year pretty much if I felt like voting. He'll probably get some sort of lifetime achievement award

Of these candidates? KJT's looks like the most remarkable achievement tbh (Broad wasn't MOTS, Woakes and Wood have better claims). Earps? Fucksake, wouldn't be as bad as Mead winning after bottling all the big games in the Euros mind 
  • Options
    That's pretty thin for a line up. Odd numbered years. I make the betting right. 
  • Options
    Such a shame that Faruk Koca didn't get a nomination. 
  • Options
    Unbelievable that Ronnie continues to get ignored, although its expected considering he should have won it last year after the worlds. 

Snooker is probably one of the biggest sports on BBC, maybe that's my view but for years its been a flagship that the main event and a few others are on there. In the past did Steve Davis/ Hendry get anywhere near or was it not a thing? The whole thing is a joke, just think what Phil Taylor achieved for years and he didn't win it. 

Politics sports person of the year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What.
    No Joey Barton.
    Disgraceful. 
    Or Charlie Kirk.
  • Options
    Left field for Lifetime Achievement but surely Adrian Newey has to be up there for being at the top of his game for over 30 years? 13 world drivers championships for his designs and 14 world constructors championships. 
  • Options
    Never heard of Earp or Hewett.

Broad for me closely followed by KJT
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Left field for Lifetime Achievement but surely Adrian Newey has to be up there for being at the top of his game for over 30 years? 13 world drivers championships for his designs and 14 world constructors championships. 
    I wouldn't disagree about his amazing achievements - but as a design engineer rather than as a sports personality, and I'm not sure that qualifies him. 
  • Options
    Broad for me, although must admit some sentimentality. Certainly don't think Earps did enough. Hewett should probably win but won't because of a very low profile of wheelchair tennis.
  • Options
    Unbelievable that Ronnie continues to get ignored, although its expected considering he should have won it last year after the worlds. 

Snooker is probably one of the biggest sports on BBC, maybe that's my view but for years its been a flagship that the main event and a few others are on there. In the past did Steve Davis/ Hendry get anywhere near or was it not a thing? The whole thing is a joke, just think what Phil Taylor achieved for years and he didn't win it. 

Why would he be on the list this year

Its sports personality of the year and he has won 1 ranking event this year 

It doesn't matter if it was his 8th UK Championship because its not sports personality of your career, same as his world title last year.

Thats why IMO snooker players won't win the only year a snooker player should have won was the year Trump won 5 ranking events(2019 if i recall and Ben Stokes won that year)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Why would he be on the list this year

Its sports personality of the year and he has won 1 ranking event this year 

It doesn't matter if it was his 8th UK Championship because its not sports personality of your career, same as his world title last year.

Thats why IMO snooker players won't win the only year a snooker player should have won was the year Trump won 5 ranking events(2019 if i recall and Ben Stokes won that year)

The fact he didn't get it for winning the 7th Worlds, was obvious he wouldn't be in it. That alone should have been enough imo

He's literally just won one of the 3 top majors in his game, he continues to be ranked number 1, he also won Shanghai Masters and its incredible 30 years on from winning his 1st UK Championship he wins his 8th. 

I am sure if Selby had won anything you would put him on there so not sure why i need to respond, its all about opinions.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Earps - lost world cup, 4th in league, failed to qualify for nations league/Olympics

Broad  - failed to win the Ashes, 3rd or 4th best player in the team that series, only selected as announced retirement

Dettori  -only select as announced retirement

K J-T - won world championships after battling injury

Hewett  - no idea, barely follow tennis, let alone wheelchair tennis 

McIlroy -  no majors again, member of ryder cup team, self appointed defender against LIV golf, cries a lot.

I suppose Earps, Broad and Dettori do have some personality though, but KJT for me
    Agree with this. Pretty thin pickings this year 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Earps 1/8 Bet 365 and others 
    Broad 10/1 Paddy Power and others 
    Dettori 40/1 LiveScore Bet 
    K J-T 22/1 Sporting Index and others 
    Hewett 80/1 Spread Ex 
    McIlroy 100/1 Betway and others 
    Anyone betting their shirt on Earps?
  • Options
    Broad has personality but wouldn’t have been nominated if he had not announced his retirement. Hit his last ball for 6 and took the last wicket but wasn’t a stand out series for him. Haaland was born in Leeds so should be eligible!
  • Options
    It's been a non event for ages 
  • Options
    If anything the World Award might be more competitive - Haaland, Messi or Verstappen? 
  • Options
    A poor list, but I'm struggling to think of anyone who really deserves to be on the list, but isn't there.
  • Options
    lacklustre list i m o .. I'd go for Johnson-Thompson
  • Options
    If we're talking the calendar year, then for overall excellence Jude Bellingham would have been an option.
  • Options
    If we're talking the calendar year, then for overall excellence Jude Bellingham would have been an option.
    If Dortmund hadn't screwed the title he might have been on the list