Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

Comments

• Options
    I accepted it cheers, im pleased for her.

On the flip side, if people didn’t get so defensive and irate when someone states they’ve never heard of the favourite for the award, on the subjected thread, that be great as well 🍻 
    Wouldn’t have to though if peeps just stopped and thought about others before they typed.
    Season of goodwill & all that 😊
  • Options
    Paulie was right this morning.
    When it comes to certain subjects say nothing.
    If Alfie Hewett wins it, we saying no one on here would of said I've never heard of him?
  • Options
    Never heard of him.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Paulie was right this morning.
    When it comes to certain subjects say nothing.
    If Alfie Hewett wins it, we saying no one on here would have said I've never heard of him?
    Well he might’ve been right but he didn’t have to be so dang sexy about it
  • Options
    Mmmmm maybe because it comes across a wee bit mean spirited perhaps?

I don’t even think snooker or darts are sports but if one of those types won SPOTY I wouldn’t bother myself by commenting on a forum that I’d never heard of them because it’s a little bit demeaning to those who do like those types of things.

Agree about snooker and darts. Pub games.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    There have been a lot of famous paraolympians, Tania Grey-Thompson was and still is an icon of sport, recently David Weir and Ellie Simmonds (among others) have become equally widely known.  Nobody is know everything about every sport or competitor.  For my sins I genuinely only like football and cricket, I don't enjoy watching women's football but do watch the England ladies cricket team.  Does that make me a fragile man, maybe but we enjoy what we enjoy.  Plenty of people like other stuff, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    I voted for Alfie Hewett as his story is amazing, he and his doubles partner Gordon Reid have put wheelchair tennis on the map.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Rothko said:
    So many fragile little men on here, well done MEarps, well deserved. 
    Its been a bit of a lean year but well done to her she has excelled in her sport. There's always going to be blokey comments unfortunately when it comes to the women's game.  I don't think she would taken the award in an Olympic year or most other years, though I did think Katarina Johnson-Thompson might of been in with a good chance and perhaps she would have won it if she had got gold at the Olympics rather than "just a gold" at the worlds. 
    I think we should really treat SPOTY as a bit of fun and don't take too seriously, its a bit of telly with a vote from the viewing public on a Tuesday night. And maybe past its sell by date.

Agreed. The World Championship doesn't attract the same public interest as the Olympics, the viewing figures would have been much lower. And it's not as if it was her first WC or even a personal best.
    Fatima Whitbread was BBC Sports personality of the year back in 1987 after winning her second gold medal (First back in Helsinki- 1983) in the World Championships in Rome that year
    Different times, to have an athlete that was competing and winning back then was quite something. And Fatima was a personality and appeared on tv a lot more than just for throwing the javelin. I can't remember her name but I seem to remember a Finish woman was her main rival. We had the odd exceptional athlete that would come through but nothing like we have had since the funding was ramped up and the Eastern block countries stopped cheating their way.
    Fatima's backstory makes her achievements even more sensational.

Abandoned by her biological mother in her flat at three months old, Fatima says she was “left to die”.  “A neighbour heard the cries of a baby, but they didn’t see anyone come or go for a few days. The neighbour called the police who came and broke the door down to rescue her.

She then spent the next four months in hospital being treated for malnutrition, before being put into care. Fatima spent 14 years in children's homes before being 'rescued' by the Whitbread family.  Fatima filled in some of her personal details on the James O'Brein show a couple of days ago and it was heart rending stuff.

I had no idea about that at the time, did the people who voted for her? I knew she was adopted, but that's about all. I mostly recall people (mainly "blokes") commenting on her appearance and speculating about her sexuality. 

I was delighted that she won, nonetheless. The only person I can think of off the top of my head that I didn't think deserved it was Ryan Giggs, but that was more because of the manner in which all the plastic Manure fans manipulated the vote than anything personal.

Can I suggest that all the people who think that SPOTY has run it's course just don't watch or comment next year? It's only a couple of hours out of 8784 available next year...  ;)    
    You can have a decent thread on all 3 of your points there. Nice post.

I do think SPOTY is taken a bit too seriously and should be treated for what it really is, a look back on the years highlights, a chance to remember the ones that have past away and a bit of recognition for some outstanding people. Entertainment. There is no real vote, its text and online. On the weeks leading up and on the night heavily influenced by the BBC. 

I had a quick browse of Fatima Whitbread's Wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatima_Whitbread ,  quite a life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BBC’s Spoty scheduling under question as more viewers watch Emmerdale

The viewership did peak at 5.2m when Mary Earps collected the trophy, but was seen by an average audience of just 2.9m people

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2023/12/20/bbc-spoty-more-viewers-watched-emmerdale-scheduling/#:~:text=The Spoty audience represented barely,winner of the main award.

• Options
    It didn’t help that there was football on.
    I flicked between the two.
    Thankfully Mary getting the trophy was at half time 😜🤣🤣
  • Options
    I cannot believe people still take this award seriously.

It's like being a fan of really good TV and watching the NTAs and seeing a load of rubbish win, or being replay into music and watching Smash Hits Poll Winners Party.

How individual sport can be compared to indivuals within a team sport is just impossible 
  • Options
    The bit where the BBC got wrong a long time ago with this award was to turn a review of the year programme with funnies and an award at the end into the nonsense they have been turning out since they moved it to areans.

And as @clive link shows the audience they did have, just like a Question of Sport have voted with their remotes
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Mary Earps deserved to win because she got the most votes.

The last 4 pages of kerfuffle could've been avoided if CE had said he was a big fan of "adult male sport" rather than just sport - which btw is fine, if that's your preference you're not a sexist or any of that silliness.

I don't find it that believable that you'd be a big fan of English sport in general (football specifically) and not be aware of who the national goalkeeper is for the women's team.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

The last 4 pages of kerfuffle could've been avoided if CE had said he was a big fan of "adult male sport" rather than just sport - which btw is fine, if that's your preference you're not a sexist or any of that silliness.

I don't find it that believable that you'd be a big fan of English sport in general (football specifically) and not be aware of who the national goalkeeper is for the women's team.
    Maybe the voters were lied to. I think the vote should be re-run. Anyway, weren't they just indicative votes? They weren't binding and the BBC should just have ignored them ...  :)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Rothko said:
    Its been a bit of a lean year but well done to her she has excelled in her sport. There's always going to be blokey comments unfortunately when it comes to the women's game.  I don't think she would taken the award in an Olympic year or most other years, though I did think Katarina Johnson-Thompson might of been in with a good chance and perhaps she would have won it if she had got gold at the Olympics rather than "just a gold" at the worlds. 
    I think we should really treat SPOTY as a bit of fun and don't take too seriously, its a bit of telly with a vote from the viewing public on a Tuesday night. And maybe past its sell by date.

Agreed. The World Championship doesn't attract the same public interest as the Olympics, the viewing figures would have been much lower. And it's not as if it was her first WC or even a personal best.
    Fatima Whitbread was BBC Sports personality of the year back in 1987 after winning her second gold medal (First back in Helsinki- 1983) in the World Championships in Rome that year
    Different times, to have an athlete that was competing and winning back then was quite something. And Fatima was a personality and appeared on tv a lot more than just for throwing the javelin. I can't remember her name but I seem to remember a Finish woman was her main rival. We had the odd exceptional athlete that would come through but nothing like we have had since the funding was ramped up and the Eastern block countries stopped cheating their way.

Abandoned by her biological mother in her flat at three months old, Fatima says she was “left to die”.  “A neighbour heard the cries of a baby, but they didn’t see anyone come or go for a few days. The neighbour called the police who came and broke the door down to rescue her.

She then spent the next four months in hospital being treated for malnutrition, before being put into care. Fatima spent 14 years in children's homes before being 'rescued' by the Whitbread family.  Fatima filled in some of her personal details on the James O'Brein show a couple of days ago and it was heart rending stuff.

I had no idea about that at the time, did the people who voted for her? I knew she was adopted, but that's about all. I mostly recall people (mainly "blokes") commenting on her appearance and speculating about her sexuality. 

I was delighted that she won, nonetheless. The only person I can think of off the top of my head that I didn't think deserved it was Ryan Giggs, but that was more because of the manner in which all the plastic Manure fans manipulated the vote than anything personal.

Can I suggest that all the people who think that SPOTY has run it's course just don't watch or comment next year? It's only a couple of hours out of 8784 available next year...  ;)    
    Don't comment because you don't like their opinion or don't comment for another reason?

At least this thread is half way there as in it's sports related on a football forum. 70% of the of the threads have nothing to do with Charlton. We have more RIP threads than the Telegraph has obituaries. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I watch women's athletics, women's tennis, women's boxing, women's volleyball, women's swimming, women's skating, women's skiing, I support Fallon Sherrock in the darts, watched England's women in the World Cup.
    I did mention that I also have Covid, but nope I'm not believable.

I possibly watch more women's sport than the vast majority on CL.
    Could the self righteous tell me how much more women's sport I need to watch to not be called unbelieved?

Anyway, as Cher's mother once said to her, if it doesn't matter in 5 years time it doesn't matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    shirty5 said:
    Rothko said:

Don't comment because you don't like their opinion or don't comment for another reason?

At least this thread is half way there as in it's sports related on a football forum. 70% of the of the threads have nothing to do with Charlton. We have more RIP threads than the Telegraph has obituaries. 
    That'll explain the falling attendances then!!
  • Options
    I am not anti Women’s football and admit to enjoying some of the games in the World Cup.  Why should anybody be anti any sport. If the participants and those who watch it, enjoy it what’s the issue.  

The issue I have is with the media coverage that is forcing the opinion that we ALL love it.  The WSL scores are put ahead of the EFL on their websites and sports pages. The BBC will focus on their games and ignore the Championship.  MASSIVE BREAKING NEWS some girl iv never heard of has signed for Arsenal ladies. It’s not massive it’s of interest to a very small minority. 

It’s all a conspiracy….. !

You're not allowed to think like that in 2023
  • Options

I watch women's athletics, women's tennis, women's boxing, women's volleyball, women's swimming, women's skating, women's skiing, I support Fallon Sherrock in the darts, watched England's women in the World Cup.

Could the self righteous tell me how much more women's sport I need to watch to not be called unbelieved?

Anyway, as Cher's mother once said to her, if it doesn't matter in 5 years time it doesn't matter.
    Then it’s semantics over what constitutes a fan which is even sillier. As you say, it won’t matter soon enough anyway. People will have forgotten by next week, let alone five years from now.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Then it’s semantics over what constitutes a fan which is even sillier. As you say, it won’t matter soon enough anyway. People will have forgotten by next week, let alone five years from now.
    Agreed, pages of utter silliness because I forget a player's name whilst suffering with Covid and having watched England's World Cup Games 2 weeks after prostate removal and in between hospital visits.
  • Options

Agreed, pages of utter silliness because I forget a player's name whilst suffering with Covid and having watched England's World Cup Games 2 weeks after prostate removal and in between hospital visits.
    Didn’t know you was so rough mate, hope you’re feeling better now.
  • Options
    I haven’t watched this since Damon Hill won his second and I threw a paddy.  I think I was 10
  • Options
    I wanted Frankie Detori to win it. I don’t watch horse racing, never been horse racing but I know he’s very, very good at being a jockey, has won loads and loads of races and has never won SPOTY.
  • Options
    It is sports personality of the year,  not sports woman / man of the year. The public vote for the person they like. More liked Mary Earps so fair dos.