Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Earps was 1/8 on to win with Broad at 11/1 2nd favourite as of last night 

The bookies could see how the public would vote and slashed the odds accordingly 
    Can't help but think that the betting would perfectly match the voting; who's going to vote one way and bet another way? Easy money for them, they can see it coming.
  • Options
    Just saw Kenny Dalgleish’s lifetime award speech and got me quite choked up/ was my football idol as a kid 

One of my idols as well, AFKA. A great man and one of the very best ever players to have graced the game.

King Kenny - I salute you
  • Options
    As a massive sports fan may I ask who Mary Earps is? 
    Exactly my reaction 
  • Options
    Is my reaction to it.
  • Options
    As a massive sports fan may I ask who Mary Earps is? 
    I have checked, apparently she is an exponent of the sport of Monkey Tennis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just googled her. To be fair she did have a good world cup. 
    Modern technology eh?
  • Options
    I thought my morning would be spent giggling at all the salty men moaning about this.
    But no.
    They've found another way.
    Sky Sports have just dumped Phil Clarke from the rugby league line up.
    Despite absolutely hating the geezers comms all the salty men are now moaning that it’s a tick boxing exercise and he’s being replaced by a woman!
    (no one actually knows why he’s been dumped so suddenly & there’s been zero talk of any replacement)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great entertainment altogether 🤩🤗😘😘
  • Options
    As impressive as they all clearly are, a bit of a joke Mary Earps wins. No chance a men’s player wins it through just playing well in an international tournament, they’d have to win it to have a chance. 

I dare say if Nike had sold her kit from the start the publicity would never have been there and she’d never have won. 

• Options
    thing is the show is named 'Personality' not 'achiever' of the year .. if the voting public think that Earps has a winning personality, then so be it (she must have a LOT of friends lol)
  • Options
    Best surname of the six contenders by a mile
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    If it was personality then it would have been Mark Wood over Broady as a cricket nomination.
  • Options
    thing is the show is named 'Personality' not 'achiever' of the year .. if the voting public think that Earps has a winning personality, then so be it (she must have a LOT of friends lol)
    Michael Owen has no personality at all - shows it up for the nonsense it is. But harmless nonsense, so who cares?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually - her team mates certainly do, and she didn't come across as a dull. Also, being a pedant, one of the definitions of personality these days is "a celebrity or famous person".  
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Michael Owen has no personality at all - shows it up for the nonsense it is. But harmless nonsense, so who cares?

perhaps in 'years gone bye' the winner was judged on ACHIEVEMENT during the year rather than just their personality ? .. BUT, as you say, with wars, famine pestilence and Christmas bills to soon pay, who cares   o:)
  • Options
    WTF was she wearing?

• Options
    didn't a Lioness also win it last year?
  • Options
    If you compete in a major sport, you have more notoriety and are more likely to be familiar to the public which helps. Selecting the candidates is based on achievement I presume, which may be debateable as some will no doubt argue that the BBC comprised a list of names to suit an underlying agenda! However, On the night, of the six contenders, more people voted for her than for her rivals and no one forced them to, so Earps won it fair and square.

I don't get some of the negativity towards women's football on here tbh. More than 55,000 watched that Arsenal/Chelsea match at the Emirates the other week, drawn in by the entertainment on offer. I found it more enjoyable than watching some of the dire football served up at the Valley in recent years, and without the added anxiety of feeling so stressed out by it.
  • Options
    didn't a Lioness also win it last year?
    Yep, Beth Mead, after winning the Euros and Golden Boot
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just saw Kenny Dalgleish’s lifetime award speech and got me quite choked up/ was my football idol as a kid 

One of my idols as well, AFKA. A great man and one of the very best ever players to have graced the game.

Regardless of what he did when playing, the way he conducted himself regarding the Hillsborough disaster, shows the man he really is.
    I believe he went to every funeral.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Regardless of what he did when playing, the way he conducted himself regarding the Hillsborough disaster, shows the man he really is.
    100% agree, GA, and the 'great man' comment was for precisely this reason. The love, compassion, empathy, strength and pure humanity he demonstrated after the disaster is an exemplar. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    If you compete in a major sport, you have more notoriety and are more likely to be familiar to the public which helps. Selecting the candidates is based on achievement I presume, which may be debateable as some will no doubt argue that the BBC comprised a list of names to suit an underlying agenda! However, On the night, of the six contenders, more people voted for her than for her rivals and no one forced them to, so Earps won it fair and square.

I don't get some of the negativity towards women's football on here tbh. More than 55,000 watched that Arsenal/Chelsea match at the Emirates the other week, drawn in by the entertainment on offer. I found it more enjoyable than watching some of the dire football served up at the Valley in recent years, and without the added anxiety of feeling so stressed out by it.
    Admission was £12 basic an £35 best seat in house. They are tourists not football fans. If Charlton were £12 general admission anywhere in ground, what would our crowd be…..
  • Options
    Probably the deserved winner, but a very weak line up this year, with 2 "retirement nominees", 1 in a minority sport (wheelchair tennis) and a golfer who hasn't win a major for 9 years.