Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    So many fragile little men on here, well done MEarps, well deserved. 
    Its been a bit of a lean year but well done to her she has excelled in her sport. There's always going to be blokey comments unfortunately when it comes to the women's game.  I don't think she would taken the award in an Olympic year or most other years, though I did think Katarina Johnson-Thompson might of been in with a good chance and perhaps she would have won it if she had got gold at the Olympics rather than "just a gold" at the worlds. 
    I think we should really treat SPOTY as a bit of fun and don't take too seriously, its a bit of telly with a vote from the viewing public on a Tuesday night. And maybe past its sell by date.

• Options
    Utter nonsense like most of these awards.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    I don't think people are complaining about it being won by a female. Rather that it's fluffy, wholesome BBC nonsense. 
    Dont let that get in the way of the white knight routine.

I like Mary Earps, she's by far the best goalkeeper from the womens football I've watched. Not sure she deserved to be such a comfortable winner for this years SPOTY mind.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Its been a bit of a lean year but well done to her she has excelled in her sport. There's always going to be blokey comments unfortunately when it comes to the women's game.  I don't think she would taken the award in an Olympic year or most other years, though I did think Katarina Johnson-Thompson might of been in with a good chance and perhaps she would have won it if she had got gold at the Olympics rather than "just a gold" at the worlds. 
    I think we should really treat SPOTY as a bit of fun and don't take too seriously, its a bit of telly with a vote from the viewing public on a Tuesday night. And maybe past its sell by date.

Agreed. The World Championship doesn't attract the same public interest as the Olympics, the viewing figures would have been much lower. And it's not as if it was her first WC or even a personal best.
  • Options
    It's a pretty ridiculous award - surprised people get so wound up about it.

The public can vote for who they want and media profile invariably plays a large part.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Rothko said:

Agreed. The World Championship doesn't attract the same public interest as the Olympics, the viewing figures would have been much lower. And it's not as if it was her first WC or even a personal best.
    Fatima Whitbread was BBC Sports personality of the year back in 1987 after winning her second gold medal (First back in Helsinki- 1983) in the World Championships in Rome that year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    I don't think people are complaining about it being won by a female. Rather that it's fluffy, wholesome BBC nonsense. 
    And that is one of the big issues atm

I dont know about anyone else but I'm scared what to say anymore incase it comes across wrong. 

Beth Mead deserved to win last year and rightly so

I think this year Earps didn't but if I say that I'm labelled sexiest or a fragile little man or other comments.

Why can we no longer have proper discussions without it resulting it people being labelled something they are not 
    If you’ve ever been labelled  sexiest then sheesh I’d hate to see who you were up against feller 😂
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

I like Mary Earps, she's by far the best goalkeeper from the womens football I've watched. Not sure she deserved to be such a comfortable winner for this years SPOTY mind.
    The same public who voted for Brexit are trusted with Sports Personality of the year.

Ronnie O'sullivan, the best snooker player of all time has never won it. With the Euros, the Olympics and a huge boxing match next year, it's likey the wait will go on.
  • Options
    Mead winning it last year was a farce not because she's a woman footballer but because she completely and utterly vanished in the two games England played against semi-decent opposition (the quarter-final and the final) and had to be subbed off
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

The problem with women's football is women's football. It will always be judged against the men's game which it can never compete with. Its not for me but I can still appreciate their game requires effort, skill and dedication. I just find them not to my liking no matter how much the world goes into hyperbole over them. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

The problem with women's football is women's football. It will always be judged against the men's game which it can never compete with. Its not for me but I can still appreciate their game requires effort, skill and dedication. I just find them not to my liking no matter how much the world goes into hyperbole over them. 
    Problem for who? Not those who voted for last night's winner.
  • Options
    Forgot to add the men's Cricket team defending their back to back World T20 crown in June too, it's an absolutely stacked year for sports. So if someone like Harry Brook has a huge summer in all formats of the game he'll be a contender. 
  • Options
    As a massive sports fan may I ask who Mary Earps is? 
    Exactly my reaction 
    good joke, seriously if you are a massive sports fan you will know this whether through ignorance or not. 

I think SPOTY is a shocking and holds no value these days, but lets not pretend you don't know one of England women's main players, whether you watched it or not. 
    Not a joke . I've never watched an women's England football match in my life . I don't have enough time in my life to watch the men's sport i want to , let alone start watching a whole new genre of football . Nothing to do with them being Women at all. I love cricket ( it's my favourite sport) but don't watch the 100 men's or women. There is only so many hours in a day . I absolutely promise i had never heard of Mary Earps until the SPOT was talked about a few weeks ago. She must be amazing though if she beat Stuart Broad who's one of the best Cricketers to ever play for England. 
    Broad may be a cricket legend, but this year he was hardly a stand out individual, when compared to say Stokes in 2019 who deservedly won SPOTY, the year England won the 50 over WC and he scored his miraculous Headingley ton.
  • Options
    Exactly my reaction 
    good joke, seriously if you are a massive sports fan you will know this whether through ignorance or not. 

I think SPOTY is a shocking and holds no value these days, but lets not pretend you don't know one of England women's main players, whether you watched it or not. 
    Not a joke . I've never watched an women's England football match in my life . I don't have enough time in my life to watch the men's sport i want to , let alone start watching a whole new genre of football . Nothing to do with them being Women at all. I love cricket ( it's my favourite sport) but don't watch the 100 men's or women. There is only so many hours in a day . I absolutely promise i had never heard of Mary Earps until the SPOT was talked about a few weeks ago. She must be amazing though if she beat Stuart Broad who's one of the best Cricketers to ever play for England. 
    Ignorance is bliss, if you read any newspaper/ social media at all you would have seen her name everywhere. I don't buy it mate
    I'm ignorant and you don't believe me . Well that's lovely - Thank you .  I have far more important things going on in my life to lose any sleep over what you believe.  and by the way i still hadn't heard of Mary Earps until a few weeks ago. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't have heard of her either if it weren't for the Mrs banging on about this goal keeper kit that Nike weren't selling.
  • Options
    Exactly my reaction 

Ignorance is bliss, if you read any newspaper/ social media at all you would have seen her name everywhere. I don't buy it mate
    I'm ignorant and you don't believe me . Well that's lovely - Thank you .  I have far more important things going on in my life to lose any sleep over what you believe.  and by the way i still hadn't heard of Mary Earps until a few weeks ago. 

fair enough
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Problem for who? Not those who voted for last night's winner.
    Obviously its a problem to some,  you only have quick trawl this website and a few others to see that. 

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Rothko said:

Fatima Whitbread was BBC Sports personality of the year back in 1987 after winning her second gold medal (First back in Helsinki- 1983) in the World Championships in Rome that year
    Different times, to have an athlete that was competing and winning back then was quite something. And Fatima was a personality and appeared on tv a lot more than just for throwing the javelin. I can't remember her name but I seem to remember a Finish woman was her main rival. We had the odd exceptional athlete that would come through but nothing like we have had since the funding was ramped up and the Eastern block countries stopped cheating their way.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

What routine is that, the one of not being shitty towards Women's sport? 
  • Options
    I find people very peculiar that you're called a liar because you haven't heard of Mary Earps. Why would you have heard of her/remembered her name if you don't watch women's football?

I couldn't tell anyone the name of England U21/U18 etc men's goalies but it doesn't make me a liar or anti U21/U18 men's football.

It simply means I don't have an agenda, which some find impossible to believe in "their world".

NB I just asked my wife to name an England woman's player. She couldn't. 
    So I told her she was lying and anti women.
    I can think of several occasions in the very recent past where I have put an England (Men's) match on TV and have genuinely never heard of some of the players. 

I still can't name them now so just looked them up - Marc Guehi, Rico Lewis and Fikayo Tomori. I couldn't tell you who they play for, and I like men's football.

I have no interest in women's football, and so apart from those players that have been on I'm a celebrity, or who have moved into TV, it's no surprise that I (and other's) wouldn't have a clue. 

I had actually heard of Mary Earps, but only because the "you can't buy a shirt with my name on it" nonsense was on The Today programme on Radio 4 one morning...

• Options
    I find people very peculiar that you're called a liar because you haven't heard of Mary Earps. Why would you have heard of her/remembered her name if you don't watch women's football?

I couldn't tell anyone the name of England U21/U18 etc men's goalies but it doesn't make me a liar or anti U21/U18 men's football.

It simply means I don't have an agenda, which some find impossible to believe in "their world".
    Most people do not view life as a political crusade. 

NB I just asked my wife to name an England woman's player. She couldn't. 
    So I told her she was lying and anti women.
    Don't worry Rothko, I've got this. Your wife is a fragile little woman. Absolute disgrace.