Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

Comments

• Options
    Nobody really interested in sport would watch or be interested in this pile of tosh. The Women’s football media led crap got their girl home. Meh…..
    Its hardly ever been about sport, you remember when Man U fans got Sister in Law loving Ryan Giggs the award

• Options
    Surprised people care enough about this meaningless award for it to reach 6 pages. 

Been pointless since Ryan Giggs won for being old. 
  • Options
    Mary Earps was in the England women's team that reached the final of the World Cup and lost only on penalties, she also won the Golden Glove for being the best goalkeeper in the tournament. Strange that on a football forum so many have never heard of her. 
    How many of the Charlton u18s can you name?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Mary Earps was in the England women's team that reached the final of the World Cup and lost only on penalties, she also won the Golden Glove for being the best goalkeeper in the tournament. Strange that on a football forum so many have never heard of her. 
    How many of the under 20s who won the world cup can you name?
    Sorry , do I need to add the year they won the world cup?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    None, but that is a minor tournament in comparison to the senior team playing in a World Cup Final. There was major tv coverage of the whole tournament and was often in the news.
    Why not?
    This is a football forum, and the game was a world cup final.

• Options
    How many Charlton's women players can you name (honestly)?
  • Options
    None of them, but again the Women's World Cup was a big tournament with a lot of media coverage, Charlton women's team is not on the same scale.

Anyway, plenty of people must have heard of her, as she won the vote for Sports Personality of the Year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We didn't lose on penalties. 
  • Options
    I find people very peculiar that you're called a liar because you haven't heard of Mary Earps. Why would you have heard of her/remembered her name if you don't watch women's football?

I couldn't tell anyone the name of England U21/U18 etc men's goalies but it doesn't make me a liar or anti U21/U18 men's football.

It simply means I don't have an agenda, which some find impossible to believe in "their world".
    Most people do not view life as a political crusade. 

NB I just asked my wife to name an England woman's player. She couldn't. 
    So I told her she was lying and anti women.
    Dear God 🙄
  • Options
    I find people very peculiar that you're called a liar because you haven't heard of Mary Earps. Why would you have heard of her/remembered her name if you don't watch women's football?

I couldn't tell anyone the name of England U21/U18 etc men's goalies but it doesn't make me a liar or anti U21/U18 men's football.

It simply means I don't have an agenda, which some find impossible to believe in "their world".
    Most people do not view life as a political crusade. 

NB I just asked my wife to name an England woman's player. She couldn't. 
    So I told her she was lying and anti women.
    Don't worry Rothko, I've got this. Your wife is a fragile little woman. Absolute disgrace. 
    Dear God………again🙄
  • Options
    None of them, but again the Women's World Cup was a big tournament with a lot of media coverage, Charlton women's team is not on the same scale.

Anyway, plenty of people must have heard of her, as she won the vote for Sports Personality of the Year.
    Should I be strung up because I'd never heard of Alfie Hewett until yesterday?

• Options
    clb74 said:

No.
    Unless you were the one who said he’d only get the ‘sympathy vote’.
  • Options
    No you're right we didn't 
  • Options
    Brilliant 🤣
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I can’t think of a better sports personality than Earps, even though there’s no standout winner. If I was to choose a more deserving sportsperson based on performance, I would choose Katarina Johnson-Thompson by a small margin.
  • Options
    As a massive sports fan may I ask who Mary Earps is? 
    You’re not alone.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

I’ve no idea who he is either . 
  • Options
    Well deserved, obvious winner 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Rothko said:
    So many fragile little men on here, well done MEarps, well deserved. 
    Its been a bit of a lean year but well done to her she has excelled in her sport. There's always going to be blokey comments unfortunately when it comes to the women's game.  I don't think she would taken the award in an Olympic year or most other years, though I did think Katarina Johnson-Thompson might of been in with a good chance and perhaps she would have won it if she had got gold at the Olympics rather than "just a gold" at the worlds. 
    I think we should really treat SPOTY as a bit of fun and don't take too seriously, its a bit of telly with a vote from the viewing public on a Tuesday night. And maybe past its sell by date.

Agreed. The World Championship doesn't attract the same public interest as the Olympics, the viewing figures would have been much lower. And it's not as if it was her first WC or even a personal best.
    Fatima Whitbread was BBC Sports personality of the year back in 1987 after winning her second gold medal (First back in Helsinki- 1983) in the World Championships in Rome that year
    We were in the stadium to cheer what was our 1 and only Gold in that year's World Champs Track & Field events. 

It could have even been the final day.
  • Options
    Mary Earps was in the England women's team that reached the final of the World Cup and narrowly lost, she also won the Golden Glove for being the best goalkeeper in the tournament. Strange that on a football forum so many have never heard of her. 
    It’s not strange at all if you don’t watch women’s football.
    I wouldn't post about something to say I have no knowledge of it personally. I couldn't name a single member of the English Six Nations winning Women's Rugby Union Team, but I wouldn't broadcast the fact. Oh bugger!

Think I'll see if Bad Santa appears on the schedules as that's always gets me in the festive spirit.

Btw, Earp's did save a penalty in the final to keep the game alive with us only 1-0 down, but the team were second best to Spain on the day.
  • Options
    Have no issue with her winning as it was a public vote: would I have voted for her? Absolutely not. As ridiculous an award as when rusedski won it. It was dying anyway but this will be the end of SPOTY.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

14m people in this country watched the Women's World Cup final, there's no comparison in terms of the wider public interest with the Charlton women's team or the England U20s.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clb74 said:
    None, but that is a minor tournament in comparison to the senior team playing in a World Cup Final. There was major tv coverage of the whole tournament and was often in the news.

19.3m watched the 2022 World Cup final in the UK but I wouldn’t expect my mum to tell me who Argentina’s left back was.

Beds doesn’t watch women’s football, why’s that so hard for people to understand or accept 🤣
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I accepted it cheers, im pleased for her.

On the flip side, if people didn’t get so defensive and irate when someone states they’ve never heard of the favourite for the award, on the subjected thread, that be great as well 🍻