Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports personality of the year 2023

Comments

• Options
    If we're talking the calendar year, then for overall excellence Jude Bellingham would have been an option.
    Probably saving Bellingham and Kane for next years award after the Euros
  • Options
    opinions are always massively skewed on a football forum where people tend to follow sports more than the general public (who will vote for the award)

imo the general public as a whole don't really know who Broad is, have no idea on any horse racing other than maybe who won the GN, haven't cared about the result of a golf tournament since Nick Faldo was playing and have only watched wheelchair tennis when BBC2 have stuck it on for a bit while waiting for the next match to start on centre court. 

Dettori is probably too long at 33s after appearing on I'm a celebrity but Earps as a massive odds on fave looks right
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    If anything the World Award might be more competitive - Haaland, Messi or Verstappen? 
    As much as I dont like him at times, Verstappen not winning would be criminal
  • Options
    If we're talking the calendar year, then for overall excellence Jude Bellingham would have been an option.
    Probably saving Bellingham and Kane for next years award after the Euros
    It's an Olympic year too though... 
  • Options
    Josh Kerr not even being on the list is poor
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    If anything the World Award might be more competitive - Haaland, Messi or Verstappen? 
    As much as I dont like him at times, Verstappen not winning would be criminal
    Piss off …..He was born in Belgium and he hasn’t any personality.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    rina said:
    imo the general public as a whole don't really know who Broad is...

Sorry, just to pick you up on that, I disagree.

Broad is a household name whether you like cricket or not. 

The scientific evidence I bring to the table to back up this is what is affectionately known as the 'Mrs JB test!'

My wife has never watched a game of cricket in her life but she knows who he is.  She can also tell you who Broady's wife is, what pop group she was in, what radio station she works on and what their daughter is called lol.

To be fair to them both, they've got almost 2m instagram followers between them. 

For some balance, despite watching the ladies WC final earlier in the year, I'd happily bet any amount of money that she couldnt name the Lionnesses goalkeeper even if her life depended on it.
    I did specifically choose to say that the general public 'don't really know who Broad is' rather than 'haven't heard of Broad'

My wife also knows the name and that he is a cricketer but has no idea of any of his achievements or any reason why she might vote for him as SPOTY. I think this is probably true of most non cricket followers

I however have no idea who his wife is or that she was in a pop group so will not be voting for her in pop personality of the year
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I had to google who that was . Another one I've never heard of. I'm getting old. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I had to google who that was . Another one I've never heard of. I'm getting old. 
    I dont think i've heard of him either. Someone also mentioned Adrian Newey, couldnt tell you what sport he's in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Josh Kerr is unlucky, maybe the judging panel didn't want to split the athletics vote between him and KJT?

Broad, McIlroy and Dettori are all well known figures. 

Wheelchair tennis is definitely a minority sport in terms of public attention
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Yes, that wasn't right, sorry about that.  
  • Options
    If England's men had reached a WC final, with Jordan Pickford the best player, then he too would have been a favourite to win SPOTY
  • Options
    The tennis bloke will get a sympathy vote but every woman who plays football will make a call on Tues night so the 1/8 looks about right. 
    I’m sorry……………’the tennis bloke will get the sympathy vote’……..WTAF?
  • Options
    The tennis bloke will get a sympathy vote but every woman who plays football will make a call on Tues night so the 1/8 looks about right. 
    I’m sorry……………’the tennis bloke will get the sympathy vote’……..WTAF?
    They live amongst us.
  • Options
    If England's men had reached a WC final, with Jordan Pickford the best player, then he too would have been a favourite to win SPOTY
    Sterling was on the shortlist after Euro20, but he also won the Premier League that season with City. He didnt finish in the top 3.
  • Options
    Sterling was on the shortlist after Euro20, but he also won the Premier League that season with City. He didnt finish in the top 3.
    He wasn't our stand out player in Euro 2020 though. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    He wasn't our stand out player in Euro 2020 though. 
    Yes he was.

He scored our first 3 goals in the tournament across 3 games and won the penalty for our winner in the semi final.

Where all the ‘boy from brent’ stuff come from. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    rina said:
    imo the general public as a whole don't really know who Broad is...

Sorry, just to pick you up on that, I disagree.

Broad is a household name whether you like cricket or not. 

The scientific evidence I bring to the table to back up this is what is affectionately known as the 'Mrs JB test!'

My wife has never watched a game of cricket in her life but she knows who he is.  She can also tell you who Broady's wife is, what pop group she was in, what radio station she works on and what their daughter is called lol.

To be fair to them both, they've got almost 2m instagram followers between them. 

For some balance, despite watching the ladies WC final earlier in the year, I'd happily bet any amount of money that she couldnt name the Lionnesses goalkeeper even if her life depended on it.
    Probably best not to test out that theory. 
  • Options
    It’s a shame not more people have heard of Alfie Hewett as he is genuinely incredible and really should win this based on achievement's, but obviously won’t. 

He won 7 singles titles this year, including 2 of the 4 grand slams. Then in doubles he won 3 of the 4 grand slams. 

• Options
    It’s a shame not more people have heard of Alfie Hewett as he is genuinely incredible and really should win this based on achievement's, but obviously won’t. 

He won 7 singles titles this year, including 2 of the 4 grand slams. Then in doubles he won 3 of the 4 grand slams. 

But it is such a niche sport.

How many professional wheelchair  tennis players do we have compared to say darts players when Phil Taylor was reigning supreme
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Earps - lost world cup, 4th in league, failed to qualify for nations league/Olympics

Broad  - failed to win the Ashes, 3rd or 4th best player in the team that series, only selected as announced retirement

Dettori  -only select as announced retirement

K J-T - won world championships after battling injury

Hewett  - no idea, barely follow tennis, let alone wheelchair tennis 

McIlroy -  no majors again, member of ryder cup team, self appointed defender against LIV golf, cries a lot.

I suppose Earps, Broad and Dettori do have some personality though, but KJT for me
    Agree KJT 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/67714256

Kenny Dalglish gets the Lifetime Achievement Award. 
  • Options
    They need to drop the "Personality" bit of the award.  Most winners don't have one anymore, but Broad for me just because of his shithousery in The Ashes.  
  • Options
    That Earps in the admittedly limited I’ve seen of her looks an angry , stroppy cairy Lunt 
  • Options
    It has become a meaningless award sadly.