Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    India could have played Axar instead of Patidar (averaged an awful 10 from 6 innings at home) and shifted the batting lineup. It didn't matter in the end as Jurel really stood out for
    them.
    They could have recalled Pujara or Rahane, but I assume they wanted to try new players. 

It's been an interesting series, a rookie England spin attack versus a rookie Indian batting lineup, rather than the same names.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the latest Mumbai scorecard? Bloody hell
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyone seen the latest Mumbai scorecard? Bloody hell
    That last wicket stand of 232 wasn't the worst I've ever seen!
  • Options
    As well as Hartely, Bashir and Ahmed have bowled at times in this Series, the real test will not be on bunsen burners, it will be the times when there isn't anything in the wicket and they have to hold an end up. Which is why they still need to go back to county cricket and bowl overs and continue to learn their craft. 
    And here's McCullum's take on this. I hope that he has an understanding of when exactly the CC is played and why counties are so reluctant to play spinners. Perhaps he should have a word with his employers for the answer to that:

“We’ve got to keep trying to get cricket into them,” McCullum said. “Whatever opportunity we can we’ll try and give it to them because there’s two guys there more than good enough for international cricket.

“They’re tough characters. We’ve seen both of them have big hearts. It doesn’t get any harder than it is right now and they’ve both stood up and performed so we’ve just to keep giving both of them chances.

“It will be a slight frustration of ours if they weren’t given opportunities at county level. There’s a very real possibility that might be the case.

“But without wanting to dictate to counties because they have their own agendas, when you see performances like we have out of those two bowlers throughout the series, I think you’d be slightly mad if you didn’t give them more opportunities in county cricket.”

• Options
    McCullum has confirmed that Bairstow will play in the 5th Test. He also says that the reason that Robinson he was averaging 77mph and struggled to reach 80mph on the speed gun was because he felt a twinge in his back. Now who would have thought that a fast bowler, who has not played a single game of cricket for more than six months, might not be fit enough to bowl to the best of his ability?

Remember what I said about Spencer Johnson? Well he played against the West Indies 13/2, then he bowled more than 10 overs in Grade cricket for his club on 17/2 and then played against New Zealand on 25/2. This is a guy who has had a history of injury but who realises that you can't just turn up for a game on the back of some off field training. Where were those pre-series games and a match in between the 2nd and 3rd Tests? 
  • Options
    As well as Hartely, Bashir and Ahmed have bowled at times in this Series, the real test will not be on bunsen burners, it will be the times when there isn't anything in the wicket and they have to hold an end up. Which is why they still need to go back to county cricket and bowl overs and continue to learn their craft. 
    And here's McCullum's take on this. I hope that he has an understanding of when exactly the CC is played and why counties are so reluctant to play spinners. Perhaps he should have a word with his employers for the answer to that:

“We’ve got to keep trying to get cricket into them,” McCullum said. “Whatever opportunity we can we’ll try and give it to them because there’s two guys there more than good enough for international cricket.

“They’re tough characters. We’ve seen both of them have big hearts. It doesn’t get any harder than it is right now and they’ve both stood up and performed so we’ve just to keep giving both of them chances.

“It will be a slight frustration of ours if they weren’t given opportunities at county level. There’s a very real possibility that might be the case.

“But without wanting to dictate to counties because they have their own agendas, when you see performances like we have out of those two bowlers throughout the series, I think you’d be slightly mad if you didn’t give them more opportunities in county cricket.”

Not 3?
  • Options
    Feel like Bairstow would have been more likely to be dropped if the last two Tests didn't bring him up to 100.

Being a mate of the right people has got him up to 100 too.  Fantastic white ball cricketer but shouldn't be near 100 Tests.
  • Options
    edited February 27

Not 3?
    I think the reason he mentioned two is because they could both be second choice spinners at their respective counties. Think Hartley might get in anyway and bat at 7 but the ludicrous situation for him is that Lancashire have no CC cricket at home between the 3rd July and 28th August so can't prepare at track to suit him and Lyon for the 8 weeks at the very height of the summer!!!
  • Options
    Feel like Bairstow would have been more likely to be dropped if the last two Tests didn't bring him up to 100.

Being a mate of the right people has got him up to 100 too.  Fantastic white ball cricketer but shouldn't be near 100 Tests.
    He's averaging over 36, which stacks up with everyone else, bar Root, who have played a decent amount of cricket. As a wicketkeeper, not many that have averaged a whole lot better.  I think your assertion is harsh. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

He's averaging over 36, which stacks up with everyone else, bar Root, who have played a decent amount of cricket. As a wicketkeeper, not many that have averaged a whole lot better.  I think your assertion is harsh. 
    Such a scapegoat. Averaged 66.31 in 2022, 40.25 in 2023 and has a couple of bad tests and everyone is on his case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't say he's rubbish, just that in my opinion he's been lucky to get to 100 Tests.

Have a look at who has reached 100 Tests for England and it's generally the best players England have had, and he's not that.
  • Options
    As the alternative is Dan Lawrence, who's hardly set the world on fire for England, and is completely rusty anyway, I can see why Bairstow has been retained.

The whole batting lineup hasn't been quite good enough this series. Zak is the only one averaging over 40 for example, while Pope has one daddy century, but just 89 in his other 7 innings.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Such a scapegoat. Averaged 66.31 in 2022, 40.25 in 2023 and has a couple of bad tests and everyone is on his case.
    I wouldn't disagree for one minute that Bairstow hasn't been excellent in his time but in India, during his whole career, he has been poor - 21 innings, a top score of 89 and an average of 26.61. If we consider too his form in the WC in India (10 innings at 24.90) and the fact that his movement in the field is restricted as a result of his accident then he is fortunate to retain his place.

Put another way, if a franchise comes knocking for Lawrence next time we tour, will he be quite so enthusiastic about being part of the squad in the knowledge that that is all he is likely to be there to do? Had Brook been available then the same might have applied to him though the massive difference is that Brook is centrally contracted and Lawrence isn't.  
  • Options
    edited February 27
    As the alternative is Dan Lawrence, who's hardly set the world on fire for England, and is completely rusty anyway, I can see why Bairstow has been retained.

The whole batting lineup hasn't been quite good enough this series. Zak is the only one averaging over 40 for example, while Pope has one daddy century, but just 89 in his other 7 innings.

We won't know what he will do as he won't be given the chance and the reason he's "rusty" is because we refused to organise any other tour games. Just three hundreds and five fifties from the whole side in eight innings says it all about our batting so the bar, as you say, isn't that high. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I wouldn't disagree for one minute that Bairstow hasn't been excellent in his time but in India, during his whole career, he has been poor - 21 innings, a top score of 89 and an average of 26.61. If we consider too his form in the WC in India (10 innings at 24.90) and the fact that his movement in the field is restricted as a result of his accident then he is fortunate to retain his place.

Put another way, if a franchise comes knocking for Lawrence next time we tour, will he be quite so enthusiastic about being part of the squad in the knowledge that that is all he is likely to be there to do? Had Brook been available then the same might have applied to him though the massive difference is that Brook is centrally contracted and Lawrence isn't.  
    Brook would have gone straight in the team if he had returned to India, probably at Bairstow's expense. 

Brook after 12 Tests has 1181 runs  @ 62 with 4 centuries
    Lawrence after 11 Tests has 551 runs @ 29 with 0 centuries

I can't see Lawrence being an England regular, which is possibly a reason why Surrey signed him.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Brook would have gone straight in the team if he had returned to India, probably at Bairstow's expense. 

Brook after 12 Tests has 1181 runs  @ 62 with 4 centuries
    Lawrence after 11 Tests has 551 runs @ 29 with 0 centuries

I can't see Lawrence being an England regular, which is possibly a reason why Surrey signed him.
    Lawrence may well not prove good enough but that begs the question, what the hell is he doing there if they don't believe that he is? Equally, if 29 is the level for not picking a batsman for England again then Crawley would have been dropped a long time ago.

I'm also not sure Brook would have come in either. Let's not forget how it was only as a result of the public outcry about Brook being originally left out of the WC squad that he was added at the last minute instead of Roy. Until this series, Stokes and McCullum insisted that Bairstow had the gloves instead of Foakes. The bond between Stokes, Root and Bairstow goes back decades and it isn't an easy one to break into especially with a coach such as McCullum who is incredibly loyal. 
  • Options
    Watching a bit of the 1st Test between NZ and Australia. A non Bazball start for Australia, 27-0 after 13.

Khawaja 8 from 43 deliveries
  • Options
    Cameron Green 103 not out batting at four , Aussies 279-9
  • Options
    Cameron Green 103 not out batting at four , Aussies 279-9
    Green ends up on 174 not out and put on 116 for the 10th wicket with Hazlewood making 22 of them. Matt Henry returned figures of 30.1-11-70-5 
  • Options
    edited March 1
    NZ were 29-5 - they decided to go Bazball and have a small recovery going to 98-5. Still 285 short of the Australian first innings score.

Latham 5 (13) b Starc
    Young 9 (50) c Carey b Marsh
    Williamson 0 (2) run out Labuschagne
    Ravindra 0 (3) c Lyon b Hazlewood
    Mitchell 11 (37) c Carey b Cummins

Blundell 25* (28)
    Phillips 43* (37)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aussies 383 all out
    NZ recover from 29-5 to 112-5
    Blundell not out 33 (41)
    Phillips not out 49 (41)
  • Options
    edited March 3
    MarcusH26 said:
    Probably belongs more on the county side of things but I see Leicestershire have signed Will Puckovski as an overseas for the start of the championship, given his major history of concussions this feels like a gamble, but if he can stay healthy it will be interesting to see how he goes. 
    I posted two years ago how I really did not feel that Puckovski's technique in playing the short ball is good enough at the highest level. Yesterday he was concussed for what is at least the 12th known time that he has suffered from concussion - this time it was from a delivery from Riley Meredith and was another occasion where he has made no attempt to either duck or pull the ball - he either can't pick the ball up or is suffering from sort of PTSD and freezes when he gets that type of delivery. The lad has spoken about the mental health issues in coming back from being hit previously and for his own sake he really has to call time on his career before it calls time on him.  
  • Options
    Wood for Robinson the only change for England for the 5th Test. I hope Atkinson gets a special award for carrying the drinks so nicely for the duration of the tour!
  • Options
    Shame they haven't given Atkinson the last Test, they won't learn that much about him now, and it's a dead rubber.
  • Options

Test Match weather you’d expect in India 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    apparently not that cold out there and it’s really warm that must be from top
    of mountain 
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing our Miss Sausage's test match photos from the next few days.
    What a beautiful test match ground!

Hi @suzisausage :)

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I'm looking forward to seeing our Miss Sausage's test match photos from the next few days.
    What a beautiful test match ground!

Hi @suzisausage :)

Not jealous at all.... Have an amazing time @suzisausage !
  • Options
    Such a good start. Silly from Duckett!
  • Options
    Don’t like Gill throwing the ball away before he’s even standing. 100% a fair catch but just keep hold of it