Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Andy Scott right now: Who needs George Dobson?

I would say that is similar to what Dobson produces week in week out.. Thing I would like to see from Conor is drive with the ball, and killer passes, which he has in the locker. Still think Anderson, Dobson Coventry can work really well, but I also like May in that 10..
    It only works if you have a playmaker in there, the lack of creativity is a big reason we are where we are. 
    That's why I would like May in that role.
    I don’t think he’s creative enough. He’ll probably get a few Lampard esque goals that way but IMO it will hinder us. We need a genuine playmaker capable of chipping in with a few goals. It should have been Fraser but it’s not looking likely anymore. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

I would say that is similar to what Dobson produces week in week out.. Thing I would like to see from Conor is drive with the ball, and killer passes, which he has in the locker. Still think Anderson, Dobson Coventry can work really well, but I also like May in that 10..
    His killer pass last night, alongside DK’s running in behind of course, is what won us the penalty to draw level.
    Watched it back on the highlights not long ago

Its a great pass, but Kanu's work rate makes it slightly more impressive. After all, it doesnt seem to be one of those from Coventry because he's seen Kanu making the move.

Instead he's made the pass, because he knows Kanu will put the effort in to run on to it... I imagine thats come from them working together on the training ground

No doubt we'd have found it very wasteful, had one of Coventry or Kanu not read the move in the first place
    It's their football intelligence coming from good academies, a lot of our midfielders over the years seem not see that pass and it has to be something you do without thinking. That comes from your upbringing 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

His killer pass last night, alongside DK’s running in behind of course, is what won us the penalty to draw level.

Its a great pass, but Kanu's work rate makes it slightly more impressive. After all, it doesnt seem to be one of those from Coventry because he's seen Kanu making the move.

Instead he's made the pass, because he knows Kanu will put the effort in to run on to it... I imagine thats come from them working together on the training ground

No doubt we'd have found it very wasteful, had one of Coventry or Kanu not read the move in the first place
    I thought it was a great knock into the channel which we'd been trying to do all game. Hitting it first time caught the defender flat-footed and Kanu reacted brilliantly. 

Coventry's balls into the channels certainly have some more quality on them than most of the others.  
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

If the striker doesn't make the run, everyone goes FFS what a stupid, aimless punt up the pitch.
    If the striker makes the run but the midfielder instead passes sideways, then everyone criticises the midfielder.

That's where good coaching comes in, KDB and Haaland don't have their relationship on the pitch by chance.

Similarly good corner routines need good delivery, but also need the players in the box to make the right runs, which is how Derby scored.
  • Options
    i think he's a good all round midfield player - he's not one who is going to take on 4 players and rocket one into the top corner so he was never going to be a transformational player in that sense - put maradona in a park side and he'd still be brilliant but pirlo probably wouldn't - coventry is a good player and 9 times out of 10, picks the right pass - i think he and dobbo can play together with anderson using his incredible rangey stamina in front and dobbo looking after things behind, coventry can become the playmaker - picking the right pass, prompting the attacks etc - if camara can get his act together and we keep those 3 for next year then the surgery in the summer probably isn't on the midfield.     
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

It only works if you have a playmaker in there, the lack of creativity is a big reason we are where we are. 
    May's not a playmaker. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

May's not a playmaker. 

I don't think we need a play maker. We need intelligent runners. For the second, we had chucks running at a tired defence with may and Kanu making good runs either side which occupied their defence and gave chucks time ro
    pick the killer ball.

i would go for intelligent players over flashy players for now
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

May's not a playmaker. 

I don't think we need a play maker. We need intelligent runners. For the second, we had chucks running at a tired defence with may and Kanu making good runs either side which occupied their defence and gave chucks time ro
    pick the killer ball.

It's both to be fair. As the penalty showed, you need someone to make the runs and also someone to pick the runs out.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a midfield playmaker, a deeper lying striker in the Deon Burton or Kermorgant mould could probably do a good job too - but we do need a bit more consistent quality of service for the likes of Kanu and May to feed off.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

May's not a playmaker. 

pick the killer ball.

Agree, if Jones' style of football is (for now) to hit the channels, go in behind and play off the second balls, we don't really need a playmaker in the 10. Fraser in particular would've been useless, especially in the press.
  • Options
    I've just watched the second goal again, Mays run took two defenders with him which gave Kanu so much space to run into.

i would definitely like to see May, Kanu and Chucks all on the pitch at the same time a bit more. Now the defence looks more organised, hopefully we can see a bit more attacking intent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 28
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

Completely disagree with this mate, Dobson has been hitting ball after the ball, either out of play or over hitting it to the opposition keeper, he has been extremely wasteful with possession lately. Pretty sure apart from our defence, Dobson had the worst pass completion of any player against Pompey. He has been subpar and is only not criticised for it as he is a fan favourite.   
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

May's not a playmaker. 

pick the killer ball.

100% this. 
  • Options
    I’m fairly confident that Coventry was signed as a replacement and seen as an upgrade on George Dobson. I also think that the Coventry signing was quite a coup for the club. Admired by many and well thought of at West Ham. We know he cost an awful lot for a struggling league one club. It’s yet to be seen if CC has the commitment shown by GD but I think it’s thought CC has a higher ceiling and brings both a defensive ability and is better with the ball. Fwiw. I think George has been generally magnificent and shone out as a bright light in a dreadful season. Also seems to me that GD is very close to his personal ceiling. I don’t think CC is. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    J BLOCK said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:

May's not a playmaker. 
     But he earns respect from defenders because of his record. So when he's playing in that role he draws defenders out because they know he's dangerous.
    That allows the likes of Kanu, Chuks etc to get in round the back, if you Will.
  • Options

Seen a bit of talk about a transfer fee for Conor Coventry when he signed for #cafc.

There wasn't one.

Just a sell-on agreed as part of the move. Exactly the same deal that Sheffield Wednesday had negotiated.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) April 9, 2024
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Seen a bit of talk about a transfer fee for Conor Coventry when he signed for #cafc.

There wasn't one.

Just a sell-on agreed as part of the move. Exactly the same deal that Sheffield Wednesday had negotiated.

probably means CC is on a very decent contract for 3rd division football
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

There wasn't one.

Have to say that's a great bit of business
    Perhaps the only noticeably good thing Michael Appleton was involved in during his time here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reckon we've got him for one more year, unless we can get promoted
  • Options
    I think we'll see just how classy he is next season.

quietly goes about his business and keeps the ball moving rarely losing possession 
    Would think/hope we will be playing a bit more football next season than we are at the moment. Think he will stand out more then but he has been decent so far 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

There wasn't one.

Remember posting that I thought that would be the case, West Ham made such a big thing about the sell-on clause in the announcement that it sounded like "he was going on a free in 6 months and this way we might get something."
  • Options
    edited April 9
    West Ham's statement being at pains to point out within the first couple of sentences that his contract was running out, and the fact that Sheff Wed potentially dropped out due to not agreeing a sign on fee doesn't suggest much of a fee to me.

Feels more 'Look, he was going for free, so we got a small fee and a good sell-om just in case.'

Here in fact although apparently I thought small fee not free!!
  • Options
    I think we'll see just how classy he is next season.

quietly goes about his business and keeps the ball moving rarely losing possession 
     I think so but a lot will be dependent on his midfield partners. Anderson and A.N.other?
    I think he's being held back at the moment.
    It's the A.N.Other that will be crucial in getting the best out of Coventry.
  • Options
    The early comments on here are very optimistic.
    He has played a lot of minutes, I am struggling to remember more than about four tackles made, any assists, he has lost set piece taking duties, and hasn’t weighed in with a goal or two. He does not appear to have a trick of any kind, or any pace above the average.
    He will get the ball and move it on neat and tidy enough, but so can Bakinson, Henry, Taylor, Fiorini, Fraser, Louie Watson and Camara.
    Conor was a free transfer.
    Maybe the best is yet to come, I think there is a reason he is a free transfer, because he seems to be much of a muchness right now.
  • Options
    For me coventry has all the passing skills of a good holding midfielder in league one - tidy, measured, consistent passing.  What he doesn’t have is the aggression/athleticism defensively that you want for someone in that role.  If he is going to be the starter next year, it is imperative that there are significant upgrades at center half and a box to box midfielder who can add some grit.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    His technique has been most disappointing for me. I hoped he'd at least show quality at a level above but he looks very much like a L1 player. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

There wasn't one.

Remember posting that I thought that would be the case, West Ham made such a big thing about the sell-on clause in the announcement that it sounded like "he was going on a free in 6 months and this way we might get something."
    They might be rueing that decision now. Currently his worth must be less than that of a lower League cart horse.