Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    edited February 26
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cloudworm said:
    When you consider how Jones likes to play, Coventry really isn't a good fit. I'd be surprised if he sticks around for long.
    Why not? He’s played well for MK Dons in league 1 and Rotherham in the championship, so is clearly a player that can do well in different styles of football. No reason why Coventry can’t do well in this system, he played decent at Bolton and will probably be back in the starting eleven on Tuesday 
    I think because he isn't super athletic, doesn't have a great engine and can't press high as effectively as the likes of Dobbo, Bak and Anderson. 

I'm sure he'll be used in rotation but I'll say it again, this guy was signed as a transformational player and he isn't. 
    Ridiculous to be passing this kind of judgement on a player that was signed mid season, less than eight weeks ago and played barely more than 400 minutes.
    No, sorry that's wrong. The only judgement I'm passing is that the way he was lauded, he was supposed to be a tremendous upgrade and if that was true, he should be the first name on the team sheet every week. Bit of a re-write going on now. 
    Have you ever changed jobs? Did you take time to learn where the stationary cupboard was, learn the companies systems and procedures?

why is it different to expect footballers to sign for a new club and are expected to settle on day 1.

they need to learn the managers tactics (not helped by him playing for Appleton, Fleming and jones all within his first month), players need to learn coaching methods etc. 

watson was still living in a hotel in January? How unsettling must that be, going back to a tiny room every day after work.

he is an upgrade on mcgrandles, and what ever shite we've had recently but please cut new players some slack and let them bed in

a pompey supporter hit the nail on the head on Saturday talking about Moxon. He is a very good player but he is still bedding in.

Not attacking Coventry, no doubt he will show quality in certain areas. If anything the problem is with Andy Scott, recruitment in general and a slight mention to the way we overrate our own signings. Re: Recruitment, we're battling relegation and our highest profile signing was someone unsuited to a relegation fight? Someone not even making the squad some weeks (along with Fiorini - the other giant upgrade). 

It also remains to be seen that he's what NJones wants, that's not a certainty. If Jones still plans on playing a midfield three next season who can press with intensity, could see Coventry still resigned to a rotation role. 
  • Options
    I dont see how we can be disappointed with his start when he has played so few minutes. Apart from the Reading game I think he has shown promise when on the pitch. NJ obviously has to make short term decisions as the best may to get points as needed to stay up. Hopefully that can be achieved and we wee a lot more of Connor next season 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    If he's as good as he's been made out to be, he shouldn't have to wait to play in certain types of games, he should be good enough to play in any games. 

He is, he’s just not fit enough to do it Saturday and Tuesday every week to the intensity that Jones wants. He started away at Bolton and was fine, and I’m pretty confident we will see him start on Tuesday, and next week he will start one of the games. 

I think it’s simply a case of him not yet being fit enough to play both, usually that would mean he drops to the bench but we have Camara who is a better option against a tired defence 
  • Options
    Jones has changed the style of the team in a number of ways which do not suit ballplayers like Coventry and L Watson.

1. He wants high energy in your face players to stop the other (better?) teams from playing.

2. He has thankfully cut right back on the playing out from the back, which cost us goals and momentum, and favours the long ball over the midfield.

3. Similarly, he gets the throwins to go forward more rather than back to the midfielders.

NJ wants to play as much as possible in the other team's half. Maybe Coventry can adapt but at present he does not fit into the side.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I buy the "fitness" or "rotation" argument re: Coventry.  We had a clear week of training going into Pompey, so if he's out of the squad it seems fair to assume that Jones prefers others right now.  If he comes in on Tuesday it's just as likely to be a case of resting others as anything else.

That said, I wouldn't be too quick to write him off either.  Anderson's performances over the last 3 games show the risks of labelling players as good or bad without considering what they're actually being asked to do.  Feel like Coventry could yet be an important player for us.  Jones has a reputation for being tactically flexible, and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks for different skillsets at different points before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Wasn't it stated he had concussion protocol? Did I dream that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Yep, my post came from having read he had concussion.
  • Options
    hezzla said:
    I'm not sure I buy the "fitness" or "rotation" argument re: Coventry.  We had a clear week of training going into Pompey, so if he's out of the squad it seems fair to assume that Jones prefers others right now.  If he comes in on Tuesday it's just as likely to be a case of resting others as anything else.

That said, I wouldn't be too quick to write him off either.  Anderson's performances over the last 3 games show the risks of labelling players as good or bad without considering what they're actually being asked to do.  Feel like Coventry could yet be an important player for us.  Jones has a reputation for being tactically flexible, and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks for different skillsets at different points before the end of the season.
    I think your missing the point, he may be saving him for Tuesday. Time will tell I suppose...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Surely if Coventry is a good baller we should be playing him not missing out on squads, we're fighting relegation. He should at least be making the bench
    We have to leave someone out, I think Camara’s a better option off the bench to try to change a game with the way he can drive forward with the ball.

We’re not used to this many players being fit. Louie Watson, Ness, Taylor and Asiimwe also missed out, plus we’ve got Hector, Leaburn and Ramsay too.
    It's Terry Taylor's absence I can't fathom atm.
    Why not? He was very poor when he was fit / playing at the start of the season.

Why would he all of a sudden turned into a good player?
    Well, he was a good player last season and getting rave reviews.
    That's why we signed him.

• Options
    Coventry playing tonight. Either means that since Saturday he has become great and Dobson shite, or Jones is simply rotating his midfielders and doesn't feel the need to have 5 centre mids in the matchday squad with Reg another option.
    Its obviously rotation and also I think individual tactical approaches to each opposition.
  • Options
    Wait, there’s a stationary cupboard?
  • Options
    Coventry playing tonight. Either means that since Saturday he has become great and Dobson shite, or Jones is simply rotating his midfielders and doesn't feel the need to have 5 centre mids in the matchday squad with Reg another option.
    I did forecast this last saturday ... yes I know, clever ???
  • Options
    Its obviously rotation and also I think individual tactical approaches to each opposition.
    Yep, was a slightly too subtle dig at the overreaction to a given player being on the bench or out of the squad for a particular game :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, was a slightly too subtle dig at the overreaction to a given player being on the bench or out of the squad for a particular game :)
    No, it was obvious. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Wait, there’s a stationary cupboard?
    All cupboards are stationary. Unless they have wheels I guess

• Options
    Thought he was pretty average in the first half and immense in the second 
  • Options
    Yeah absolutely superb second half. 
  • Options
    GET THE FUCK IN 
  • Options
    Needs piss testing.....definitely had a shit of something at half time! Poor first half, massive performance second half.
  • Options
    Where's Chunes 
  • Options
    Needs piss testing.....definitely had a shit of something at half time! Poor first half, massive performance second half.
    A shit or a rocket up his arse...or maybe the rocket caused the shit?