Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    Surely if Coventry is a good baller we should be playing him not missing out on squads, we're fighting relegation. He should at least be making the bench
  • Options
    edited February 25

• Options
    Surely if Coventry is a good baller we should be playing him not missing out on squads, we're fighting relegation. He should at least be making the bench
    We have to leave someone out, I think Camara’s a better option off the bench to try to change a game with the way he can drive forward with the ball.

We’re not used to this many players being fit. Louie Watson, Ness, Taylor and Asiimwe also missed out, plus we’ve got Hector, Leaburn and Ramsay too.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how much we did actually pay for Coventry ? Do we know even ?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Any reason why he wasn't on the bench today? 
    Don’t think he’s fit enough to start 2 games a week, and Camara is better as a bench option so it means he gets left out. Would expect Coventry back into the starting eleven on Tuesday 
    How on earth is a young man in the prime of life, who appears to be fit, not carrying an injury (as far as I know) and hasn't played 40 games this season not able to start 2 games a week?
    Because training and playing U21 football is very different to playing league 1 football, especially at the intensity Jones wants. He’d not played properly for 6 months before we got him, Gillesphey is the same 
    sorry but that's tosh - how do you explain anderson ? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We have to leave someone out, I think Camara’s a better option off the bench to try to change a game with the way he can drive forward with the ball.

We’re not used to this many players being fit. Louie Watson, Ness, Taylor and Asiimwe also missed out, plus we’ve got Hector, Leaburn and Ramsay too.
    It's Terry Taylor's absence I can't fathom atm.
    Why not? He was very poor when he was fit / playing at the start of the season.

Why would he all of a sudden turned into a good player?
  • Options
    So are people genuinely saying that the reason Coventry isnt even making the bench for us is because he likes to keep possession? So what, hes too good for us?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can someone tell me how much we did actually pay for Coventry ? Do we know even ?
    I was told upper 6 figures …. With a sell on taking it into seven figures potentially 
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how much we did actually pay for Coventry ? Do we know — 500,000 plus add ons and 40% sell on .. the whole deal could hit 1 mill 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    So are people genuinely saying that the reason Coventry isnt even making the bench for us is because he likes to keep possession? So what, hes too good for us?!
    They mean his strength is keeping possession rather than winning it.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Don’t think he’s fit enough to start 2 games a week, and Camara is better as a bench option so it means he gets left out. Would expect Coventry back into the starting eleven on Tuesday 
    How on earth is a young man in the prime of life, who appears to be fit, not carrying an injury (as far as I know) and hasn't played 40 games this season not able to start 2 games a week?
    Because training and playing U21 football is very different to playing league 1 football, especially at the intensity Jones wants. He’d not played properly for 6 months before we got him, Gillesphey is the same 
    Anderson has been playing and involved. Bristol rovers is one example
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Anderson has played 14 league games including a couple of starts recently for Appleton, so much nearer match fitness than Coventry who had played zero games for West Ham this season 
  • Options
    edited February 25
    The thing is, to a greater or lesser extent Jones has some conflicting views with Scott.
    Jones has argued for Dobson to stay and therefore realistically Dobson is likely to start games.
    Coventry will possibly only start if 2 defensive midfielders are deemed necessary (I know most  of our midfield is somewhat defensive).
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Anderson has played 14 league games including a couple of starts recently for Appleton, so much nearer match fitness than Coventry who had played zero games for West Ham this season 
    anderson has hardly played since the start of the season and is now playing a full game twice a week - i don't think coventry not featuring is anything to do with fitness - that is tosh 
  • Options
    edited February 25
    NabySarr said:
    Cloudworm said:
    When you consider how Jones likes to play, Coventry really isn't a good fit. I'd be surprised if he sticks around for long.
    Why not? He’s played well for MK Dons in league 1 and Rotherham in the championship, so is clearly a player that can do well in different styles of football. No reason why Coventry can’t do well in this system, he played decent at Bolton and will probably be back in the starting eleven on Tuesday 
    I think because he isn't super athletic, doesn't have a great engine and can't press high as effectively as the likes of Dobbo, Bak and Anderson. 

I'm sure he'll be used in rotation but I'll say it again, this guy was signed as a transformational player and he isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 25
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cloudworm said:
    When you consider how Jones likes to play, Coventry really isn't a good fit. I'd be surprised if he sticks around for long.
    Why not? He’s played well for MK Dons in league 1 and Rotherham in the championship, so is clearly a player that can do well in different styles of football. No reason why Coventry can’t do well in this system, he played decent at Bolton and will probably be back in the starting eleven on Tuesday 
    I think because he isn't super athletic, doesn't have a great engine and can't press high as effectively as the likes of Dobbo, Bak and Anderson. 

I'm sure he'll be used in rotation but I'll say it again, this guy was signed as a transformational player and he isn't. 
    I think if you spoke to fans of MK Dons and Rotherham they wouldn’t agree with that at all. From what we’ve seen of him you are probably right but that’s where I think it’s more due to him not playing all season and then being chucked into a struggling league 1 team. 

I’m confident he will come good, a lot of what we are doing at the moment is bypassing the midfield completely so he’s not really getting the chance to show his quality 

I remember Josh Cullen coming back from two months out and LB remarking that a few days later he was match fit. He was blessed with an engine. I don't think we can say Coventry has got a great engine and at the same time say he needs so long to get up to speed.

No doubt he has some quality, I'm just saying he's not as good as touted, or else he'd be the first name on the teamsheet.
  • Options
    Jones has already stated that we're bloated in midfield. If he isn't going to start a player for a game, then he needs to decide whether he would be a better finisher than others on the bench. I agree that in the game we just watched, Coventry wouldn't have been the best choice for coming on.

Doesn't mean that he is suddenly 'out of favour'. He played the last game and there is every chance he will play the next. He has shown signs of quality play, while not being consistent with it yet.

I think we will see him start more once we are playing against the weaker teams when we need more guile to break them down.
  • Options
    Coventry is probably not a bad player but possibly he doesn't really suit the style of play right now.

I certainly wouldn't be writing him off. For all the talk about how many center and defensive midfielders there suddenly are in the squad, by next season we will lose Dobson, Camara, Fiorini, L Watson and Bakinson. 

I'm sure that some replacements will come in, but the likes of Taylor and Coventry may end up getting another chance purely by virtue of still being here.
  • Options
    He is playing Bakinson ( who is pretty useless) because he is older and has a bigger physical presence even though he is limited rather than Coventry because he doesn’t want to load the team with yet another youngster ( Anderson, Kanu, Small ) - I hope that sooner rather than later we can drop Bakinson and play either Coventry or Camara 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cloudworm said:

Ridiculous to be passing this kind of judgement on a player that was signed mid season, less than eight weeks ago and played barely more than 400 minutes.
    No, sorry that's wrong. The only judgement I'm passing is that the way he was lauded, he was supposed to be a tremendous upgrade and if that was true, he should be the first name on the team sheet every week. Bit of a re-write going on now. 
    Different players suit different scenarios. On a technical level he is a massive upgrade but that isn't what you need in a relegation dogfight. If we have a better season next time out I'm confident that Coventry will be a key player in that