Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?
    No it's not. He will be a good player there's no doubting that. 

But he isn't what we needed for the rest of the season when we already have Dobson and we've spent a lot of resources on him, so that's clearly a huge recruitment error. 
    But they're different types of players. Just because they're labelled as deep midfielders doesn't mean they're particularly comparable. Coventry is supposedly someone who can be compared most to Josh Cullen in that he can put his foot in but also keep things ticking over and create as well. There's no reason he can't play alongside Dobson (like how Cullen played alongside Bielik, Pratley Field etc) apart from the fact Dobson tends to get confused by a double pivot positionally. We would have been stupid to miss out on a long term quality prospect just because we already have Dobson who has been looking like leaving at the end of the season since summer. That would have been a recruitment error.
    Yes but, right now looking at last night, were we missing Coventry or a replacement for CBT? 

The funds we have need to be allocated correctly. 

Yes, we could have Coventry and Dobson starting together, but it doesn't solve any problems that we have. We're crying out for creativity and we signed sideways passers. 

Again Coventry COULD be an excellent player in his role, but he isn't going to save us from relegation. A hold-up striker or creative midfielder may have. 
    But that's a completely different point. What was our budget? Did we run out of money after we bought Coventry or did we decide not to sign a creative player with funds left over? The window was a bit of a hodgepodge with three different managers essentially involved across it, and we arguably should have brought in another attacking signing, but unless you have intimate knowledge of what our January budget was acting like we got Coventry instead of an attacking signing is disingenuous. 
  • The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?

But he isn't what we needed for the rest of the season when we already have Dobson and we've spent a lot of resources on him, so that's clearly a huge recruitment error. 
    But they're different types of players. Just because they're labelled as deep midfielders doesn't mean they're particularly comparable. Coventry is supposedly someone who can be compared most to Josh Cullen in that he can put his foot in but also keep things ticking over and create as well. There's no reason he can't play alongside Dobson (like how Cullen played alongside Bielik, Pratley Field etc) apart from the fact Dobson tends to get confused by a double pivot positionally. We would have been stupid to miss out on a long term quality prospect just because we already have Dobson who has been looking like leaving at the end of the season since summer. That would have been a recruitment error.
    Yes but, right now looking at last night, were we missing Coventry or a replacement for CBT? 

Yes, we could have Coventry and Dobson starting together, but it doesn't solve any problems that we have. We're crying out for creativity and we signed sideways passers. 

Again Coventry COULD be an excellent player in his role, but he isn't going to save us from relegation. A hold-up striker or creative midfielder may have. 
    But that's a completely different point. What was our budget? Did we run out of money after we bought Coventry or did we decide not to sign a creative player with funds left over? The window was a bit of a hodgepodge with three different managers essentially involved across it, and we arguably should have brought in another attacking signing, but unless you have intimate knowledge of what our January budget was acting like we got Coventry instead of an attacking signing is disingenuous. 
    We know we bid for Collins but he was always going to choose Bolton based on the league positions of the two clubs.
  • edited February 15
    Him and Louis Watson (more so Watson) looked pissed off before the game. 
    Good, I would be concerned if they were happy :)
  • Hal1x said:
    So the SMT sign Coventry to replace Dobbo?, they hope hes almost as good as Dobbo so that we won't notice, and they will save a few quid on the swap, but then Jones spots the switcharoo and realises that the fake Dobbo is not quite as good as the actual Dobbo that he still has, so he stops the genuine Dobbo going, and parks Coventry as a spare Dobbo in case the real Dobbo goes in the summer. Like a can of tyre inflator when you get a puncture.

I'm George Dobson, yes, I'm the real Dobson
    All you other George Dobsons are just imitating
    So won't the real George Dobson please stand up
    Please stand up, please stand up?

Awful cut and paste effort.
  • edited February 15
    The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?

I would say, they wasn't going to pay money for a player if they didn't feel it was right, and with Collins, we had a bid, but he made it clear he wanted to go to Bolton so they didn't go through with.. There may have been other players they was interested in, but if that player was interested, or within the budget is a different matter. 

Squad still massively unbalanced, maybe more so then we started the window. I actually think the quality of signings was pretty good, but for whatever reason they are not clicking right now.. Hopefully Jones can find the right formula. 

The amount of midfielders we have, we need to play to that, and maybe go with the diamond, and with full backs getting up the pitch, with Dobbo available again, he understands the holding role well, and his reading of the game to cover the fullbacks and to allowing our CB's to split. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Hal1x said:
    So the SMT sign Coventry to replace Dobbo?, they hope hes almost as good as Dobbo so that we won't notice, and they will save a few quid on the swap, but then Jones spots the switcharoo and realises that the fake Dobbo is not quite as good as the actual Dobbo that he still has, so he stops the genuine Dobbo going, and parks Coventry as a spare Dobbo in case the real Dobbo goes in the summer. Like a can of tyre inflator when you get a puncture.

I'm George Dobson, yes, I'm the real Dobson
    All you other George Dobsons are just imitating
    So won't the real George Dobson please stand up
    Please stand up, please stand up?

Awful cut and paste effort.
    Fairly obvious really as I don't think Dobbo has a tattoo on his arm...
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?

I would say, they wasn't going to pay money for a player if they didn't feel it was right, and with Collins, we had a bid, but he made it clear he wanted to go to Bolton so they didn't go through with.. There may have been other players they was interested in, but if that player was interested, or within the budget is a different matter. 

Squad still massively unbalanced, maybe more so then we started the window. I actually think the quality of signings was pretty good, but for whatever reason they are not clicking right now.. Hopefully Jones can find the right formula. 

The amount of midfielders we have, we need to play to that, and maybe go with the diamond, and with full backs getting up the pitch, with Dobbo available again, he understands the holding role well, and his reading of the game to cover the fullbacks and to allowing our CB's to split. 
    However we get the points is not important Dubai. Totally agree that the squad is massively unbalanced and because of Scott's transfer dealings we are now being forced to play wing backs rather than the squad based 4 3 3 that has been preferred for eighteen months previous. If we go to Bolton and string five across midfield with a flat back four then I wouldn't have a problem with that, it's exactly what Derby did to us. The problem we have is who to start up front and that comes down to not having a forward who can play that lone role.One thing is for sure, good managers quickly play the best formation and style that suits the players they have, Jones changed the tactics on Tuesday to a more route one game when Chuks and Lapado came on and it worked, he needs to be just as cute again in the fourteen games left. 
  • I must admit going to Bolton with a 451 and trying to hang in for an hour until you can unleash Chuks and Camara did cross my mind but I couldn't figure out a midfield beyond trying Cov and Dobbo as CDMs but I know Dobbo does struggle in a double pivot. But I would definitely be starting Coventry Saturday and probably against Pompey too. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I must admit going to Bolton with a 451 and trying to hang in for an hour until you can unleash Chuks and Camara did cross my mind but I couldn't figure out a midfield beyond trying Cov and Dobbo as CDMs but I know Dobbo does struggle in a double pivot. But I would definitely be starting Coventry Saturday and probably against Pompey too. 
    You need a target man to play the loan striker role though, and the only one who can play that role can only play from the bench 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I must admit going to Bolton with a 451 and trying to hang in for an hour until you can unleash Chuks and Camara did cross my mind but I couldn't figure out a midfield beyond trying Cov and Dobbo as CDMs but I know Dobbo does struggle in a double pivot. But I would definitely be starting Coventry Saturday and probably against Pompey too. 
    You need a target man to play the loan striker role though, and the only one who can play that role can only play from the bench 

Yeah I don't think it'd be feasible for that reason too. Even if Ladapo was fully fit that's not his game. 
  • Sponsored links:

No … Camara was back early to fill the number 10 role think the offer we made proves we had the money 
  • cafc4life said:
    I thought Anderson did well last night, but yeah Coventry should have been a bench option with 20 to go
    He started of well always fades perhaps a fitness issue ? Coventry a very good player and will be playing championship football sooner rather then later hopefully with us .. Bakinson was our best player first half on Tuesday .. 
  • edited February 16
    cafc4life said:
    I thought Anderson did well last night, but yeah Coventry should have been a bench option with 20 to go
    He started of well always fades perhaps a fitness issue ? Coventry a very good player and will be playing championship football sooner rather then later hopefully with us .. Bakinson was our best player first half on Tuesday .. 

• cafc4life said:
    bakinson was dreadful on Tuesday. They all were first half 
  • Any reason why he wasn't on the bench today? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Coventry and L Watson were on the pitch for a good half hour before the rest of the squad came out to warm up being put through their paces.
    Last minute fitness tests?
  • fenaddick said:
    Don’t think Coventry would have been the right player for a game like today. He plays nice passes but isn’t a disruptor like Dobson or as energetic as Bakinson. Anderson is a hybrid of the two stylistically. Coventry is better suited to playing against teams where we will dominate possession 
    That’s probably never then. 
  • edited February 24
    He and Fiorini were supposed to transform us but have ended up playing minor roles, if that. 
  • Off_it said:
    fenaddick said:
    Don’t think Coventry would have been the right player for a game like today. He plays nice passes but isn’t a disruptor like Dobson or as energetic as Bakinson. Anderson is a hybrid of the two stylistically. Coventry is better suited to playing against teams where we will dominate possession 
    He's gonna have a long wait then!
    Ssssshhh.
  • When you consider how Jones likes to play, Coventry really isn't a good fit. I'd be surprised if he sticks around for long.