Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    Already got the misses ironing his name into my Charlton shirt. 
    She’s just got to get ‘Bonne’ off first.
  • Options
    Short cameo but liked what I saw a lot
  • Options
    Really good cameo, had some legs on him, travelled with the ball quick, decent passing range and seemed very aware. 

Think that's gonna go down as a genuinely good signing.
    I thought this about Kilkenny after his first performance so I am never sure if it’s just a breath of fresh air to see someone else than the usual dross we are served up.

However with Coventry feels like we do have someone with some real quality. West Ham must think that as well if they wanted the big sell on clause.

He starts next week for certain. 
  • Options
    Just to add to this, not saying he is anywhere near as good, and I’m clearly getting a bit excitable about his potential talent. 

But did have a feeling of Conor Gallagher’s first short cameo for us. Just something a little bit different about him. 
  • Options
    Brief but looked comfortably the best of the newbies today, was everywhere when he came on, confident, some good passes. Obviously only a short appearance, but looked a much better version of Dobson, to be quite honest. Here’s hoping he delivers on that. He’s young and tied in with us for a while as well so here’s hoping he’s properly motivated to succeed with us too rather than all this loaning business
  • Options
    The curled return pass on the 1-2 with Tennai in-front of the AC stand…brilliant. One of many little things he did today that grabbed my attention. 
    Did he miss a pass today?
  • Options
    Looked really good today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 14
    The curled return pass on the 1-2 with Tennai in-front of the AC stand…brilliant. One of many little things he did today that grabbed my attention. 
    27 passes, 88.9% accuracy, I don't recall him misplacing one pass though..

He just looked classy as soon as he had the ball at his feet. Look forward to seeing more of him.

A big tell tale sign of how good you are on the ball sometimes, is how much time the opposition give you, and there wasn't many times a Peterborough player pushed him for the ball. 

His over the top ball was brilliant and should have lead to a goal, as was Dobbos which did.

• Options
    Got told by some people on the transfer thread that we dont watch West Ham u21 games so we don’t have a clue.

Think we saw enough in 20 mins to say otherwise.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    All I’m saying if he eventually replaces Dobson, becomes everyone’s favours player and people start referring to him as Covvo, I’m going to have an aneurysm. 
  • Options
    Got told by some people on the transfer thread that we dont watch West Ham u21 games so we don’t have a clue.

Think we saw enough in 20 mins to say otherwise.
    Exactly, passed the instant eye test, super comfy on the ball, and gets round the park, all good
  • Options
    All I’m saying if he eventually replaces Dobson, becomes everyone’s favours player and people start referring to him as Covvo, I’m going to have an aneurysm. 
    Nah, it'll just be "Cov", innit?
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Thought he looked a proper ‘baller’ as the yoof say these days, a class act, let’s hope it’s not a flash in the pan, and that he’s more Josh Cullen, than Gav Kilkenny.
  • Options
    Yes. Two or three.
  • Options
    There were two moments from his cameo that stood out for me.

1. he put in a lovely clean tackle to nick the ball away and break up a potential counter attack
    2. he received the ball about halfway inside of the Peterborough half and didn’t play a pass for the sake of it. He had the presence to wait for someone to show for it that was in a better position than he was.

I hope he starts next weekend
    Same two moments stand out for me. Particularly on point two, I like the balls on this chap, he stood there confidently like "OK, which of you fuckers wants this ball and is willing to run for it." Brief cameo today but I have high hopes, seems likes he's a lot more in-your-face than Dobbo (who, let's face it, is unlikely to pull the shirt on again).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Milan said:
    There were two moments from his cameo that stood out for me.

1. he put in a lovely clean tackle to nick the ball away and break up a potential counter attack
    2. he received the ball about halfway inside of the Peterborough half and didn’t play a pass for the sake of it. He had the presence to wait for someone to show for it that was in a better position than he was.

I hope he starts next weekend
    Same two moments stand out for me. Particularly on point two, I like the balls on this chap, he stood there confidently like "OK, which of you fuckers wants this ball and is willing to run for it." Brief cameo today but I have high hopes, seems likes he's a lot more in-your-face than Dobbo (who, let's face it, is unlikely to pull the shirt on again).
    Dobson off in January as well then?
  • Options
    He looked mustard. 
  • Options
    I think he’s a player and looking forward to see what he can do … not a mingey square /backwards passing bore like some of our players , wants to push on … let him be a Dale Stephen’s please 
  • Options
    I think the £1m figure may be the expected value for West Ham out of this deal?

If so, you could imagine something like £200k up front and a 20% sell on if we sold him for £4m in the future.

Picking random numbers out of the air to make £1m in total but you get my point.
    My thoughts too. Rumour is they wanted a 50% sell on and that’s what Sheff Wednesday couldn’t agree too. Perhaps we did. 
    A bit disingenuous to be saying we beat Wednesday to his signing, if that's the case. You wouldn't saying you beat someone to buying a house, if the amount you've paid is significantly higher. Perhaps when put side by side, he could see that both teams are likely to be in league one next season and hopes we are a club on the up, as they are coming down.

Seems a good player, but the proof will be on the pitch. Please stay fit Conor. 

Welcome the madhouse. 
    If me and you both want the same house and i up my offer and get it, then i've definitely beaten you.
  • Options
    Let’s be clear, he’s a tidy footballer but coming on for the last 15 mins against an opposition tiring, starting to sit back and not press our defensive centre mid area is no real indicator imo of how good he may be.

I’m not knocking as I think he’ll be good, but I don’t think todays cameo was a great one to make judgements on 
    Good points 

He did though look comfortable and confident on the ball and able to move it quickly but as has been said some were raving about Kilkenny.

CC seems better than him though and with Coventry, Dobson and Backinson we have options in centre midfield now.
  • Options
    Let’s be clear, he’s a tidy footballer but coming on for the last 15 mins against an opposition tiring, starting to sit back and not press our defensive centre mid area is no real indicator imo of how good he may be.

I’m not knocking as I think he’ll be good, but I don’t think todays cameo was a great one to make judgements on 
    Good points 

He did though look comfortable and confident on the ball and able to move it quickly but as has been said some were raving about Kilkenny.

CC seems better than him though and with Coventry, Dobson and Backinson we have options in centre midfield now.
    Fiorini too, even if he’s only coming off the bench to start with.
  • Options

Party pooper
  • Options

Behind the scenes on Conor Coventry's first day at Charlton 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uSjnC5GT2k