Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We've had a lot of 'technically good' players that don't work out. 

I do however see promise in Coventry... Only thing really lacking appears to be his fitness. When he is on it, he's been very good. When he's not he is average - That is something where other 'Technical' players have failed, when they're not on it they have been woeful. 
    I agree, but I am sure a full pre season under Jones, fitness won't be an issue.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Coventry had a full pre-season at West Ham didn't he? 
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Terry Westley's - Head Coach assessment from 2021:

“Stephen Kenny managed Conor in the Irish under 21s and knows all about him – that he’s upgraded him tells me everything – Conor is ready.

He has a bit of everything you need in a midfielder. He can defend, attack, pass, tackle, is cool on the ball and reliable. I believe he is a first team player.

He will need games in order to bed himself down but once he gets that opportunity he will be on his way.

West Ham are fortunate to have players like him at a time such as this when money is so tight because of covid – Conor can save them millions.”
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Think he was overtaken by Keenan Appiah-Forson as top prospect as CDM in 2022. 

Reading the Knees Up Mother Brown forum here were some views when he joined:

I think this will be a really good move for Conor and the perfect club to start playing regularly and to see if his career can progress further.

Personally, I don’t think he’ll be anything more than Championship level at best, but that’s nothing to be ashamed about as there’s millions of players out there who can only dream of even making it that far, let alone to the Premier League.

I wish nothing but the best for Conor. He’s been a great pro for the club and has never once caused any trouble. Must be a dream for any manager to work with.
    Thought he was a decent player on the few occasions I saw him in the first team. Probably not quite up there at PL standard but certainly good enough to enjoy a decent career in League One or the Championship.
    Apologies for the duplicate post as I said similar in the ‘kids are alright’ thread:

Sorry to see Conor go, although I completely understand why he’s gone given he needs game time. I liked what I saw in pre season this and last, but others clearly didn’t. Shame, but they know more than me.

I read somewhere no fee involved, in fact loan until out of contract, so definitely no sell on clause which might be another shame.

Prove us wrong Conor and have a great career.
    Wish Conor all the best at Charlton, good that he's going to play for a manager that already knows what he can do & will trust him to do it.
    Hopefully a run of games will get him his first senior Ireland cap & many more afterwards, we're crying out for some creativity in midfield & I like the fact that he plays with his head up & his first instinct is to pass the ball forwards.
    Do us proud lad.

Hope he is successful, his dedication speaks volumes. I think he was unlucky in as much as there were other 'staples' in front of him, better or worse. I'll never forget the 30 yard half volley worldie he scored against Palace recently and acted as if it was nothing when his team mates were raving. Class. I have no doubt he'll be playing for a better club in time.

and here's a great goal against Palace u23's (5 mins in)

He was also a mainstay in the Rotherham squad at the back end of last season, losing his spot to a bout of tonsilitis for the final two games. 

Let's hope he can find some form with us next season as he is likely to be in the first 11. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Coventry had a full pre-season at West Ham didn't he? 
    He then didn’t play any proper football for 6 months. That will have a big impact on how sharp he is and his match fitness 
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Chunes said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Let’s see how he starts next season.
    He’s looked solid in a pretty poor team which is no mean feat.
    Hmm. One of the criticisms levelled at Dobbo was that yes he has looked good, but in a poor team.
    Coventry’s had three and a bit months here, Dobson’s had coming up on three years. If we’re in the summer of 2026, still mid table League One and CC is part of that then people will be having similar reservations then.
  • Options
    The only question next season is if we play this system we need to new attacking goalscoring mid to play with Coventry … we are not a promotion team with Anderson and Dobson trying to play attacking mid .