Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    Really don’t rate him, hopeless yesterday can’t tackle, rarely plays a good pass and holds onto the ball too long when in attacking situations.

Big improvement needed next season if we hang on to him.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Had a very good chance to score, didnt even hit the target.

How many goals and assists has he got so far?
  • Options
    If after this season you'd hold him up next to Dobson, I don't think there's a single person that would pick to keep Coventry out of the two of them. 

I understand he's come with a lot of potential, but outside of about 3 games he hasn't shown it at all. 
  • Options
    Had a good look at him yesterday. He's certainly "tidy" with his play in patches, but he seemed to lack both the energy, tenacity and physicality needed to play in that position. 

Hopefully he fills out a bit,  builds his stamina and gets stuck in a bit more next season.
  • Options
    I think there’s a player there, but he needs to improve. His performance yesterday was poor.

I also think that Dobson’s performances have improved with Coventry in the side. He would not have scored yesterday if he’d be playing Coventrys role. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 21
    Coventry does have an eye for a pass, such as with the through ball for Dobbo's goal yesterday, but as a defensive midfielder seems a bit weak and lethargic. His set pieces haven't been outstanding either.
    His eye for a pass extended to Wickhams through ball did it?!

John Aldridge will be claiming the goal next!
  • Options
    I assume that NJ will tell him just how much he has to step up next season. Just seems too comfortable.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Conor Coventry Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
    George Dobson Match Statistics (whoscored.com)

George Dobson stats and ratings | Sofascore
    Conor Coventry stats and ratings | Sofascore

Couple of statistical websites to compare between the two of them, the former is more game related... the latter is more over the course of the entire season, so they can be properly judged against each other.

Stats wise, there is very little to separate the two of them.

Against Shrewsbury so just taking into account the last game, you can use your own eyes to compare previous games :)

Tackles: Coventry (4) - Dobson (2)
    Key Passes (Whatever counts as that: Coventry (2) - Dobson (0)
    Passing: Coventry (77.4%) - Dobson (73.6%)
    Aerial Duels: Coventry (2) - Dobson (1)

Of course stats are only as good as you want them to be...

Passing, great how many times was that back and forth with the defence (Remember Lewington having great stats for Milton Keynes in that regard). Tackles; how many times is that because you've fucked up, and your having to get yourself out of trouble. Even assists and set pieces... Both are going to lacklustre if the person you're putting it on a sixpence for, isn't fulfilling their end of the bargain.
  • Options
    To be fair to Coventry, he played a great one-two for their goal.
  • Options
    Conor Coventry Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
    George Dobson Match Statistics (whoscored.com)

George Dobson stats and ratings | Sofascore
    Conor Coventry stats and ratings | Sofascore

Couple of statistical websites to compare between the two of them, the former is more game related... the latter is more over the course of the entire season, so they can be properly judged against each other.

Stats wise, there is very little to separate the two of them.

Against Shrewsbury so just taking into account the last game, you can use your own eyes to compare previous games :)

Tackles: Coventry (4) - Dobson (2)
    Key Passes (Whatever counts as that: Coventry (2) - Dobson (0)
    Passing: Coventry (77.4%) - Dobson (73.6%)
    Aerial Duels: Coventry (2) - Dobson (1)
    Hate this statistic because it favours 'recyclers' over people actually trying to create plays with their passing. 

Also one of Coventry's 'tackles' led directly to their goal yesterday. 

Eye test from yesterday shows that one player played well, one did not. 
    Yup... I had to edit my post to expand on it... But goes to show stats never show a full story.
  • Options

I’m sure his average will drop after yesterday, but he can’t have been that bad if from our fans eyes he’s been our 5th best player 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 21
    As I said on the post-match thread, feel like he's been on a honeymoon period in the player marks for a while but it's starting to become obvious his performances are rarely above average.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I’m sure his average will drop after yesterday, but he can’t have been that bad if from our fans eyes he’s been our 5th best player 
    Louie Watson still third. So strange what happened with him, hopefully he finds somewhere he fits in better next season. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

How is Alfie May 7th on there?!
  • Options
    edited April 21
    NabySarr said:

How is Alfie May 7th on there?!
    Appleton era. Hard to rate him over a 6 when he's basically standing up front on his own watching us concede multiple goals unable to help. 

The players above him missed a lot of those games towards the end of last year/start of Jan. 
  • Options
    edited April 21
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

You don’t judge a player like him on goals/assists. That’s not what he was signed for 

He’s not been great but you can’t use lack of goals/assists as a criticism. Hopefully we see some improvement next year, I’m still holding out hope that he will be a very good player for us 
    Then what criteria do you judge him on?

Surely not his defensive abilities or his set pieces as neither have been good so what's left?
    He was poor yesterday, but overall with us he’s been pretty tidy with the ball at his feet, doesn’t give it away much. And defensively he’s not crash bang wallop like Dobson is but he still makes a lot of interceptions and a few tackles

Some stats vs Dobson 

Tackles per game: Coventry 2.3, Dobson 2.9

Interceptions per game:
    Coventry 1.9, Dobson 1.2

There’s definitely more to come from him but it’s really lazy to just say he hasn’t got any goals/assists so he’s been poor 
    Not lazy at all.

He's not good defensively, on set pieces or in scoring or making goals.  

It's fair to judge a midfielder on all of those things and so far he's coming up short.

He's the shiny new toy that some fans have decided to prefer over the old, slightly worn, Dobbo action man.

He's not lazy, he gets involved, he tries to make incisive passes but they rarely come off (not always down to him) and he has got a good touch.

He tries to move the ball quickly but against "in you face" sides like Shrewsbury and when we lack wide men high up the pitch he isn't yet incisive enough to create or score.

He's not thst young (24) and  not new to league 1 ( four loans) but he joined a disfunctional club and team and almost immediately lost the manager who signed him so he shouldn't be written off but if we are going to play a midfield diamond with him at the base, as yesterday, he is going to be a key player and as yet he's not showing anything to suggest he'll drive the team.
  • Options
    Coventry does have an eye for a pass, such as with the through ball for Dobbo's goal yesterday, but as a defensive midfielder seems a bit weak and lethargic. His set pieces haven't been outstanding either.
    Oops  :smile:

In my defence, I didn't see who played the through ball, and saw this on the match thread and assumed it was Coventry who played the through ball!

• Options
    Coventry is one for future but the signs are excellent what we seen so far .. said before he will be playing in the championship hopefully with us …. problem is if we stick with the 3 in mid Dobson and Anderson are not going to get promotion ?? We need at least 3/4 new midfielders creative ones who can add 20 goals for us next season , 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

You don’t judge a player like him on goals/assists. That’s not what he was signed for 

He’s not been great but you can’t use lack of goals/assists as a criticism. Hopefully we see some improvement next year, I’m still holding out hope that he will be a very good player for us 

Surely not his defensive abilities or his set pieces as neither have been good so what's left?
    His assist ratio is woeful. He's got something like 2 his whole career. Apart from Derby where he was exceptional,I'm struggling to make a case for him if I'm honest now.
    He'll probably be good in the bigger games keeping things tight but when we need to go and be expansive, most likely at home,  we will struggle if he plays 90 mins
  • Options
    edited April 21
    NabySarr said:

His assist ratio is woeful. He's got something like 2 his whole career. Apart from Derby where he was exceptional,I'm struggling to make a case for him if I'm honest now.
    He'll probably be good in the bigger games keeping things tight but when we need to go and be expansive, most likely at home,  we will struggle if he plays 90 mins
    3 assists and one goal to be precise in over 80 professional matches.
    Not good reading.
    Very much the a-typical Appleton type.