Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21
    Not here to write him off yet. He’s not been the instant fix I thought he would but hardly anyone has looked decent in a Charlton shirt in the last three years so again, not here to write him off yet.

People judging him on his goals and assists when he doesn’t get any credit in the assist column for the penalty won against Derby County etc. baffle me.

We beat genuine Championship interest to land him. He’s played games at that level just last season. That says something about his potential - we’ve seen flashes of it but he has to tidy up some of the issues that have crept into his game the last couple of weeks.
    I can't take much comfort in knowing he's played Championship games. So has Edun, Bakinson, Hector... 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Not here to write him off yet. He’s not been the instant fix I thought he would but hardly anyone has looked decent in a Charlton shirt in the last three years so again, not here to write him off yet.

People judging him on his goals and assists when he doesn’t get any credit in the assist column for the penalty won against Derby County etc. baffle me.

We beat genuine Championship interest to land him. He’s played games at that level just last season. That says something about his potential - we’ve seen flashes of it but he has to tidy up some of the issues that have crept into his game the last couple of weeks.
    I can't take much comfort in knowing he's played Championship games. So has Edun, Bakinson, Hector... 
    Macauley Bonne ........🫣
  • Options
    Gunther played his whole bloody career there

Lewis Fiorini...
  • Options
    Barely notice him most games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not been impressed so far BUT I’m prepared to cut him some slack this season. He arrived under Appleton and the team was playing abysmally. Jones then came in and Conor has improved since but I’ve not seen anywhere near enough to match the hype from some on his arrival. I will be much more critical of him next season if he’s still performing the same with hopefully better players around him and in a better team. If he were a loan player I wouldn’t want him back like the others we have.
  • Options
    He's probably better than he's shown so fat, and I don't think it's completely coincidence that Dobson unlocks a more complete box to box game after Coventry came in beside him.

But it's also fair to say he's not the kind of player who does much to catch the eye or impose himself on games which we definitely do need, either as well as or instead of, I  guess that's up to Jones.

He looks like a player who looks good in a good team but bad in a bad one instead of an inspiration like Dobson or JJ were.
  • Options
    Coventry is one for future but the signs are excellent what we seen so far .. said before he will be playing in the championship hopefully with us …. problem is if we stick with the 3 in mid Dobson and Anderson are not going to get promotion ?? We need at least 3/4 new midfielders creative ones who can add 20 goals for us next season , 
    What signs in particular are you talking about?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Barely notice him most games. 
    You beat me to it.
    The biggest praise I can currently offer, is that I barely notice him most games, which is a big disappointment after Andy Scott's comments.
  • Options
    I think he's been in Dobsons shadow since joining which has probably not been easy but Nathan has not dropped him despite other players being available. Time will tell if he is in the team next season. Too early to write the chap off just yet. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I’m sure his average will drop after yesterday, but he can’t have been that bad if from our fans eyes he’s been our 5th best player 
    How is Alfie May 7th on there?!
    Appleton era. Hard to rate him over a 6 when he's basically standing up front on his own watching us concede multiple goals unable to help. 

The players above him missed a lot of those games towards the end of last year/start of Jan. 
    agreed, add the fact that Appleton also played him out wide 
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Forever's post with stats is one of my favs on this forum. Shows how utterly awful they are as a measure of a player.  No one watching yesterday would have put him as fit to lace Dobsons boots on that one performance alone.
    I have been very disappointed with him so far, seems a nothing player.  As a defensive midfielder I can forgive his lacking of assists and goals, but he also looks like a poor tackler and set pieces so bad a CB has now taken over from him.  I just don't "get him".  
    However I take comfort from the number of managers and West Ham fans who are and remain positive about him.  We just haven't seen his best yet.  Whether that ends up being good enough I have no idea but let's see what he looks like with better team mates.
  • Options
    Not been impressed by him, couple good games here and there, but very lazy argument to blame him for his lack of goals/assists - he's a holding midfielder! 
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Forever's post with stats is one of my favs on this forum. Shows how utterly awful they are as a measure of a player.  No one watching yesterday would have put him as fit to lace Dobsons boots on that one performance alone.
    I have been very disappointed with him so far, seems a nothing player.  As a defensive midfielder I can forgive his lacking of assists and goals, but he also looks like a poor tackler and set pieces so bad a CB has now taken over from him.  I just don't "get him".  
    However I take comfort from the number of managers and West Ham fans who are and remain positive about him.  We just haven't seen his best yet.  Whether that ends up being good enough I have no idea but let's see what he looks like with better team mates.
    Tbf I didn't think much of Dobsons performance either. I only boosted him up in the ratings for a well taken goal, being his last home game and for a couple of decent pings. We didn't control the middle of the park at all vs Shrewsbury despite some flattering possession stats, and I put that down to Dobson, Anderson and particularly Coventry. 

We just never look comfortable in the middle of the pitch. I can't think of many performances regardless of manager where we looked like we had the more composed midfielders this season. We always look in a hurry and a bit erratic.
  • Options
    League1 demands you be be strong and tough and as a midfielder a bit of a battler. I’ve seen more of that from academy players (Anderson) than Coventry. He seems very lightweight for League one and I think that has affected his passing confidence. Most of his passing is non risk taking and short. He’s no Josh Cullum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There’s a player in there, thought he ran the show against Wigan, but then had a mare (and he admitted it in his post match) on Saturday. Needs to find that consistency 
  • Options
    The diamond in midfield, with CC at the base, used against Shrewsbury didnt work and left him and his lack of defensive ability exposed.

That was on Jones who at least had the nous to change back to 5 - 3 - 2 as soon as we conceded.

The failure of the formation wasn't just on CC but if that is how Jones wants us to play next year, and he was hinting that it is, the base of the diamond is the key player.

So far, Coventry hasn't shown he's up to that responsibility.

Maybe next season he will be?
  • Options
    l will judge him next season when we hopefully hve a side which is a bit more fit for purpose. He’s been awful the last 2 games, but equally I have seen a couple of showings in there that make me think there could be a player there if it comes together. 
  • Options
    The diamond in midfield, with CC at the base, used against Shrewsbury didnt work and left him and his lack of defensive ability exposed.

That was on Jones who at least had the nous to change back to 5 - 3 - 2 as soon as we conceded.

The failure of the formation wasn't just on CC but if that is how Jones wants us to play next year, and he was hinting that it is, the base of the diamond is the key player.

I still think 3-5-2 will be the plan, just with the diamond as another option. 

We spent on REG and Gillesphey in January, two players that are suited to and have done well at previous clubs in a back 3 
  • Options
    agree, I think the diamond was tried as a '2nd option' fully expect 352 next season
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I still think 3-5-2 will be the plan, just with the diamond as another option. 

We spent on REG and Gillesphey in January, two players that are suited to and have done well at previous clubs in a back 3 
    Was there a transfer fee on REG and (the indifferent so far) Gillesphey or was the spending only on signing and agent fees?
    The reason I ask is I know Conor Coventry was a free transfer despite how the bullshitters have tried to dress up that deal like a big financial commitment from the twenty billionaires who supposedly own us.
  • Options
    Gillesphey was a small fee and I think REG was the same , would think the biggest fee in January was on Ramsey. 

Think Coventry will be absolutely fine long term , it's just who we have partnering him that's going to be a big thing to sort in the summer. 
  • Options
    Same old Charlton life, let’s write a player off after 10 games.

this goes for all January signings…. Living in a hotel or possibly a couple of hour drive into work each day. Away from family, wife and kids, new training methods, regular men’s football. It all has an impact. They now have 3 months off to move, sort out their personal lives and get a pre season in their new environments under their belts rather than expected to hit the ground running after day 1!

for everyone writing off Coventry already, what was the Charlton manager at the time view on Dobson after 10 games?

how long did it take euell to settle in?

People not rating him so far are still saying there prepared to give him more time.
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Same old Charlton life, let’s write a player off after 10 games.

this goes for all January signings…. Living in a hotel or possibly a couple of hour drive into work each day. Away from family, wife and kids, new training methods, regular men’s football. It all has an impact. They now have 3 months off to move, sort out their personal lives and get a pre season in their new environments under their belts rather than expected to hit the ground running after day 1!

for everyone writing off Coventry already, what was the Charlton manager at the time view on Dobson after 10 games?

how long did it take euell to settle in?

I don't think I've read one person write him off... He deserves criticism, he hasn't been very good. That's different to saying he's shit and will always be shit. 

We need to see a lot more from him playing for us. I'm tired of relying on things like, oh he played in this league, he got POTY awards at this club, this club's fans say he's good... We've been here loads of times. Just perform for us.