Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I don't like midfielders who play so deep that they keep taking the ball off defenders just to play the same pass the defender should be able to play. For the same reason I was never the biggest fan of JFC, but Jake had a bit more to his game than Coventry. Another downgrade for me I'm afraid.
  • Options
    St Jones the Baptist sends a little message to Scott the philistine. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Being a 2nd half sub for Anderson would have worked yesterday. 
    Was awful last night. 
  • Options
    So Scott's number one target already left out for tactical reasons.  Jones sending the owners another message?
  • Options
    Coventry will end up a good player, he is just not good enough to replace Dobson yet even if you view them as like for like, which I don't.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    So the SMT sign Coventry to replace Dobbo?, they hope hes almost as good as Dobbo so that we won't notice, and they will save a few quid on the swap, but then Jones spots the switcharoo and realises that the fake Dobbo is not quite as good as the actual Dobbo that he still has, so he stops the genuine Dobbo going, and parks Coventry as a spare Dobbo in case the real Dobbo goes in the summer. Like a can of tyre inflator when you get a puncture.

I'm George Dobson, yes, I'm the real Dobson
    All you other George Dobsons are just imitating
    So won't the real George Dobson please stand up
    Please stand up, please stand up?

• Options
    Yeah this whole thing is just getting a bit creepy now, i think im done for a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 14
    They are both good players that serve different purposes. 

A team that’s dominating the ball and looking to win week in week out suits Coventry really well - this is why Coventry has Championship experience as well as a successful loan at MK Dons where they narrowly missed the automatics. 

A team that needs to scrap to fight relegation suits Dobson - that’s why he shone at AFC Wimbledon while Sunderland fans opinion said he wasn’t good enough for a team that’s looking to dominate games.
    I seem to remember the problem at Sunderland was that he was played in an advanced role which didn't/doesn't suit him rather than it being an issue of domination.
  • Options
    He's a good player IMO....needs to find a position that suits him

• Options
    The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?
    No it's not. He will be a good player there's no doubting that. 

But he isn't what we needed for the rest of the season when we already have Dobson and we've spent a lot of resources on him, so that's clearly a huge recruitment error. 
  • Options
    The bloke has made 4 starts under three different managers and picked up a concussion along the way to boot. Hardly enough time to make a judgment on him. Pretty bleak that some people are so obsessed with hating someone in the ownership that they're writing Coventry off as collateral damage in their complaints regarding the Dobson situation. Hardly Coventry's fault is it?

But he isn't what we needed for the rest of the season when we already have Dobson and we've spent a lot of resources on him, so that's clearly a huge recruitment error. 
    Hopefully it won’t be seen as a recruitment error a couple of years from now.

I’m glad we are trying to build something for the longer term. Because we failed in getting a short term to fix immediate issues shouldn’t be held against players who are hopefully here to help fulfil our longer term ambitions.
    Right, but if the long-term decisions get us relegated in the short-term. It also screws up our long-term ambitions. 

Signing 20 Premier League ready strikers would be amazing, but you wouldn't get promoted because you have no players in the other positions. It's about recruiting a team, not just good players. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I wouldn’t write off both starting. It wouldn’t be surprising if he ends up taking Bakinson’s place. I doubt Anderson will nail down his spot, we could end up with Dobson, Coventry and Camara being our best midfield three.

I'd like to see that midfield 3 before the end of the season if they're all fully fit at once. Think that's got the right kind of balance if we aren't going to go to the diamond. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Anderson did well last night, but yeah Coventry should have been a bench option with 20 to go
  • Options
    Neither Coventry or Watson are that fit, neither seem to be able to last 90 minutes. I took Jones comments to mean that they wouldn’t be able to give him everything rather than he was dropping them because they’ve been poor. Imo Coventry has been our best midfielder in the last 2 games (a very low bar!) 

I think we could have really done with either of them from the bench. We were hitting too many long balls and playing no forward passes into strikers feet, which Aneke thrives off. Coming off the bench is a lot easier, remember Coventry’s debut cameo, and we could have done with that yesterday 
  • Options
    edited February 14

But they're different types of players. Just because they're labelled as deep midfielders doesn't mean they're particularly comparable. Coventry is supposedly someone who can be compared most to Josh Cullen in that he can put his foot in but also keep things ticking over and create as well. There's no reason he can't play alongside Dobson (like how Cullen played alongside Bielik, Pratley Field etc) apart from the fact Dobson tends to get confused by a double pivot positionally. We would have been stupid to miss out on a long term quality prospect just because we already have Dobson who has been looking like leaving at the end of the season since summer. That would have been a recruitment error.
    Yes but, right now looking at last night, were we missing Coventry or a replacement for CBT? 

The funds we have need to be allocated correctly. 

Yes, we could have Coventry and Dobson starting together, but it doesn't solve any problems that we have. We're crying out for creativity and we signed sideways passers. 

Again Coventry COULD be an excellent player in his role, but he isn't going to save us from relegation. A hold-up striker or creative midfielder may have. 
  • Options
    We have too many midfielders, that's the reality. Yes you want depth, but there's no point having a glut of players in one position, at the expense of weaknesses elsewhere. The injuries certainly complicated things, but it's mainly down to choices by presumably Scott and Appleton.

If Taylor and Camara had stayed fit, then I doubt we would have brought in Bakinson. Scott expected/wanted Dobson to leave, so we brought in Coventry. Appleton didn't rate L Watson, so brought in Fiorini as he had worked with him before, but Fiorini was way off match fitness, and we weren't able to send Watson back so he's still with us.
  • Options
    How on earth does Bakinson get in ahead of Coventry, already starting to losing faith in the chosen one.
    Bakinson had a very good game last night got forward had a couple of good efforts in the first half .. and he was at the other end making tackles good game  
  • Options
    How on earth does Bakinson get in ahead of Coventry, already starting to losing faith in the chosen one.
    Bakinson had a very good game last night got forward had a couple of good efforts in the first half .. and he was at the other end making tackles good game  
    Are you also Bakinson’s agent alongside being a wind up merchant? 
  • Options
    Bakinson and Anderson were both dreadful yesterday 
  • Options
    I would like to see a midfield 3 of Coventry, Dobson and Camara. Dobbo as the 6, Cov as the 8 and Camara more advanced in a 10.
    Yes I would like to see that midfield! 

Our maybe 4 1 2 1 2
    Isted
    Ramsey
    Jones
    Gilsphey
    Edun
    Dobson
    Coventry
    Camara
    May
    Chuks
    Freddie
  • Options
    Definite wind up for sure now.

His 'good efforts' in the first half. One was a shot that got blocked by the defender and was an easy save for the keeper, and his other attempt he dragged his shot wide.