Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options

I think the £1m figure may be the expected value for West Ham out of this deal?

If so, you could imagine something like £200k up front and a 20% sell on if we sold him for £4m in the future.

Picking random numbers out of the air to make £1m in total but you get my point.
    My thoughts too. Rumour is they wanted a 50% sell on and that’s what Sheff Wednesday couldn’t agree too. Perhaps we did. 
    A bit disingenuous to be saying we beat Wednesday to his signing, if that's the case. You wouldn't saying you beat someone to buying a house, if the amount you've paid is significantly higher. Perhaps when put side by side, he could see that both teams are likely to be in league one next season and hopes we are a club on the up, as they are coming down.

Seems a good player, but the proof will be on the pitch. Please stay fit Conor. 

Welcome the madhouse. 
    Of course, some might say that is total bollox but I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    I hadn’t heard of him until the chat started on here, but it does seem like we made a good signing. I suspect we’ve had to pay a pretty penny in wages. He had probably been on £10,000 a week at West Ham, if not more.
  • Options
    I hadn’t heard of him until the chat started on here, but it does seem like we made a good signing. I suspect we’ve had to pay a pretty penny in wages. He had probably been on £10,000 a week at West Ham, if not more.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that.
    I'm glad I'm one who doesn't give a stuff. Not coming out of my pocket. Buy a ticket. Watch the show. Or don't. The rest is all noise.
  • Options
    I believe the fee is in the region of about 450k for the type of player we are getting 

anything less than that is a Bargain, saw him play against us and thought he was absolutely outstanding 🫡
    Think similar was written when Fraser had a good game for MK against us.
  • Options
    Seems a very good signing. He has a steel to him which we’ve massively missed this season. 

• Options
    edited January 13
    I’m excited to see what he’s like, but all these people with West Ham ‘mates’ bigging him up / giving scouting reports - he barely played for them at all. His only prem appearance (according to Wikipedia) was as a 92 min sub !!! I appreciate people watch youth football and follow his loan moves etc. but an mk dons fan for example would have a much better insight. 
    I thought I read that he’d played 92 mins in total for the first team?
    And he may also have played for their reserves or U23s?
    And on the wages issue; if you want to bring in better players isn’t it inevitable that you’re going to end up paying higher wages?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Odds on Charlton fans, inventive as we are, rehashing the "she's electric" song we used for Conor Gallagher and then Connor Washington for our latest Conor?
    ButtleJR said:
    Ffs. Fucking called it
  • Options
    I’m excited to see what he’s like, but all these people with West Ham ‘mates’ bigging him up / giving scouting reports - he barely played for them at all. His only prem appearance (according to Wikipedia) was as a 92 min sub !!! I appreciate people watch youth football and follow his loan moves etc. but an mk dons fan for example would have a much better insight. 
    I’m always wary of views of PL club fans on their academy players, they tend to be very positive and perhaps don’t realise how tough the lower leagues can be for young players.

This isn’t a teenager on his first loan though, he’ll be 24 later this year so he’s someone who should be able to grow with the team and step up to the Championship. It’s the type of signing we haven’t really gone for in recent years, the more recent TS signings were mainly all from smaller clubs, and some of them older players who had likely found their level.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    he played for them (first team) 7 times competitively last season. Not sure about how many friendlies.
  • Options
    So pleased we have finally signed a left back to compete with Edun.
  • Options

If so, you could imagine something like £200k up front and a 20% sell on if we sold him for £4m in the future.

Picking random numbers out of the air to make £1m in total but you get my point.
    My thoughts too. Rumour is they wanted a 50% sell on and that’s what Sheff Wednesday couldn’t agree too. Perhaps we did. 
    A bit disingenuous to be saying we beat Wednesday to his signing, if that's the case. You wouldn't saying you beat someone to buying a house, if the amount you've paid is significantly higher. Perhaps when put side by side, he could see that both teams are likely to be in league one next season and hopes we are a club on the up, as they are coming down.

Seems a good player, but the proof will be on the pitch. Please stay fit Conor. 

Welcome the madhouse. 
    Sheffield's finest are now only 3 points from safety.

It'll be two years before we play them next.
    Balls. See you in the New Barrack Tavern 👍
  • Options

Yeah I can imagine the upfront fee is much given that he only had a few months left on his contract at West Ham. I’m sure they have some add ons included however.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    this is all very well but what is his squad number?????????????/
    @lancashire lad not sure if you’ve got Bakinson 30 or Fiorini 46 shirt numbers as per the OS can’t help with Coventry or Gillesphey although Kirk’s old number 14 and Abankwah’s 13 could be available 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yeah I can imagine the upfront fee is much given that he only had a few months left on his contract at West Ham. I’m sure they have some add ons included however.
    As a home grown player aged 24 or under wouldn't they have been due compensation of at least 400k anyway?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    You just know he's gonna have a shite song. The player songs these days are so grim.
    You can start off any song you choose.
    There is no song dictator or bloke with a tannoy as in some countries.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Chunes said:
    You just know he's gonna have a shite song. The player songs these days are so grim.
    You can start off any song you choose.
    There is no song dictator or bloke with a tannoy as in some countries.
    I'm not sure about that. I don't think someone just started singing that ridiculous Alfie May song and others joined in. It's got more verses than a King James Bible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just because there is already an Alfie May song doesn’t mean that you can’t start another.

If it’s easier to sing then it’ll catch on better.
  • Options
    Just because there is already an Alfie May song doesn’t mean that you can’t start another.

If it’s easier to sing then it’ll catch on better.
    I don't know if you've sat in the family stand but I don't rate anyone's chances of getting a song going from there.
  • Options
    Based on about 20 minutes, he looks a player!
    Even if Dobbo stays he should fear for his place.
  • Options
    Yeah looked class
  • Options
    Looks good on that cameo… Upgrade
  • Options
    A good start. Looked like he could be Dobson’s replacement to me.
  • Options
    Classy on the ball for the most part. Please give him some good players to play with.