Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    An encouraging signing for sure
    Almost as important is what happens with the glut of central midfielders in the squad
    It's clear the SMT aren't comfortable with Dobbo having not yet accepted the terms offered - they'll take any cash up front offer for him this month
    Clogger McGruntles was a mainstay of Apples Lincoln side that made the playoffs, Bakinson is another in similar mould
    Apples denies Louie Watson's class who can't be happy with the way he's frozen out, that's not a sensible use of an expensive loan slot
    Apples bizarrely sees a useful player in larry lightweight Fraser, Terry Taylor is supposedly nearing a return from the A&Eke wing of Sparrows Lane, playing musical chairs with Fiorini.

So: Coventry replaces Dobbo, Bakinson replaces L Watson, McGrandles and Taylor might add depth and Fraser carries on being pony, with Karoy Anderson flung in when the injuries inevitably mount up.  All very similar to now with the added seasoning of none of the players having played together before now

Meanwhile back in SE7 all but one of our strikers are crocked and the back 4 is a slow moving sieve with few able deputies

What formation/lineup would Apples go for if Dobbo signed his new deal?
  • Options
    On paper this ticks a few boxes, the fact that West Ham have held onto him for this long suggests they were hoping he would kick in at their level.  

Given his career of loans to date and age, I’m hoping he’s ready to really put a marker down.  

He really does need to be good.  I don’t have any concerns specifically, but we just need to start getting players in the door that deliver.  We’ve had too many that I feel we accommodate mainly out of hope and desperation given how bad it’s been the last few years.  

Looking forward to seeing what he can do, but equally for him, he’s going to need much better than what we currently have in the squad/team.  This is literally just a first step and we need 6/7 more like him

• Options
     “One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day

But this is a bloody good start…now let’s get some more quality swallows in please,keep it going Mr AS 

Welcome Conor…hope it works out both for u & us…👍

Cmon U Addicks…!!!
  • Options
    I dont call anyone a great signing until I saw them play, but potentially this could be good for us. Made that mistake with Kirk 🤣
  • Options
    Like many have said I know little about him - but seems a good signing.  Still not sure what type of midfielder he is?  Is he predominantly a holding mid or more attacking?  Is he box-2-box?  No idea...!  Where does he fit?
  • Options
    Looks like a class signing. My cousin watches WHU and says we've got a real good one......... central/defensive midfielder. According to him Moyes isn't good at bringing the academy players through and too many of them leave because of it.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Perhaps Dobson wanted to see some ambition before he signs a new contract.
    Obviously, he wants a decent size wage increase which he deserves. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    As per usual will judge when he plays in a Charlton shirty. 
    As per usual no idea why you decided to do that 🤷‍♀️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    Whether Dobbo stays or goes is up to Dobbo. He's been offered a decent contract. 
    Oh, can you give us the details of the contract he's been offered?
  • Options
    Sounds like a good signing and not a loan! 
  • Options
    I like the word nastiness. It is something missing from our squad.
  • Options
    What kind of fee do we think?
  • Options
    Someone posted earlier that we needed some serious rabbits to be pulled out of the hat in this window. I'm classing Conor as a serious rabbit, but don't know where they fit into the 888 template!
  • Options
    Hope he's good on the grass... Welcome Conor!
    We've got enough injuries to deal with at the moment, the last thing we need is a drugs ban.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    I really hope this works out well for both him , and the club, welcome onboard Conor!
  • Options
    This signing proves Brener, Friedman and Co have funds and prepared to spend decent money.
    A few more needed but a very good sign.
  • Options
    Another good signing should improve our midfield no end 
  • Options
    This signing proves Brener, Friedman and Co have funds and prepared to spend decent money.
    I don't think it does to be fair, it won't be a large fee. Nonetheless, an exciting signing and they deserve credit for pulling it off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    His performance at The Valley a couple of years ago was one of the best I've seen from an opposition player in League One. I was raving about it extensively at the time. He tore us to shreds. Amazing signing 
    Surely after Jaiyesimi we've learnt our lesson on not to judge players on how they perform against us?

NB: I'm not for one second comparing the two as Coventry seems much more highly rated.
  • Options
    Look forward to seeing him after he’s recovered from his injury.
  • Options
    Seems a great signing! Fair play to the board. 

Anyway, back the reality of being a Charlton fan... how long do we think it will be until he gets a freak, career first, season ending injury?

I give it 3 games. Any other guesses? 
  • Options
    I think with this signing and the attempted signing of JCH it does show some good intentions. 

Ideally we need to back it up with a couple more top quality signings though.
  • Options
    Time will tell on that one
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Seems a great signing! Fair play to the board. 

Anyway, back the reality of being a Charlton fan... how long do we think it will be until he gets a freak, career first, season ending injury?

I give it 3 games. Any other guesses? 
    yep that's the question being asked on our WhatsApp group - at what point will he get a slight knock and be out for 4 months needed an op 
  • Options
    How much was the fee then ?
  • Options
    How much was the fee then ?
    No more than was necessary to win the battle for his signature I hope.
  • Options
    I believe the fee is in the region of about 450k for the type of player we are getting 

anything less than that is a Bargain, saw him play against us and thought he was absolutely outstanding 🫡