Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Freddie Ladapo joins on loan from Ipswich

Comments

• Options
    Promising signs, I thought.  Made soon good runs and linked up well with May in the first half, tired in the second half. Shooting was poor but hopefully rustiness. Have to remember that he will have had at most one training session with the team before the game.
  • Options
    FWIW have talked with a few Ipswich fans over the last week or so. The general consensus is that at L1 level he'll contribute with goals but the Champ level looked one step too far from him.
    He's not the quickest and there were comments wondering if he was a bit lazy, too slow off the mark to get to 50/50 balls or just not that adept at reading the game well enough to anticipate through balls and passes.
    It doesn't sound like he's the sort to get hold of the ball and run past defenders but he is good at shielding, turning and has a definite eye for the target and they think he'll do a good job for us.
    No-one had negatives really, they all were glad he was with their club and wished him well.
  • Options
    I missed Saturday. Why were people so unhappy with his performance?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I missed Saturday. Why were people so unhappy with his performance?
    I didn't see the game on Saturday but did watch the Northampton one last Tuesday on CTV. I thought he looked off the pace and there were comments/questions about him being ring rusty so I thought I'd ask my Ipswich friends if that was normal for him........ and then passed on their comments above.
  • Options
    Only seen him once v Northampton, thought he looked decent but rusty.  I was sat with neutrals who were making their first trip to The Valley and generally they were not impressed with him (but they support clubs higher up like Stoke/ Wolves/ Pompey etc).  

My concern is that he is 30 and when he played for Ipswich in their promotion year he scored 1 in 3 when they were battering teams.

If he is bought in as a stable L1 player then fine, if he is meant to be one of the elite 8 then I am, as of yet, unconvinced.  But early days of course.
  • Options
    I think once he has his match sharpness he’ll score goals in league one, create space and opportunities for Alfie and a number 10 if we can find one. 
  • Options
    Been very disappointing so far. Lack of fitness is one thing, but his misses against Northampton were shocking. Got robbed of the ball far too easily on Saturday and Kanu coming on improved us greatly.

Hopefully he regains his previous form soon.
  • Options
    Looked very poor so far. Can't believe how poor his touch his, but has a good record at this level so must be better than what we're seeing 
  • Options
    Never seen someone over 6ft not be able to jump off the ground 
  • Options
    edited January 31
    He was neat and tidy in his first game; held the ball up ok, and laid it off pretty well. 
    Against Blackpool he was less in control, looked a bit off the pace, and his first touch wasn’t great. I’m hoping all that will improve with match fitness, but worth pointing out that a player like Chuks seems to be on it from minute one, even after a long layoff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again a player been written of after couple games how ridiculous is our supporter base getting .. the player record speaks for itself .. not played regular football at Ipswich and has been thrown into a team lacking in confidence .. .. Ladapo is a player we could only dream of getting 12 months ago 
    Says the man happy to see CBT go.
  • Options
    Struggling big time. Needed him to make an impact, but he isn’t playing well what so ever. 
  • Options
    Struggling big time. Needed him to make an impact, but he isn’t playing well what so ever. 
    Problem is he’s having to create chances out of nowhere, he needs service which he isn’t getting 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Problem is he’s having to create chances out of nowhere, he needs service which he isn’t getting 
    The first problem is he can't control the ball.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    DRAddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    The first problem is he can't control the ball.
    Wonder how many goals he's scored where he's needed to control the ball first?
  • Options
    Been bloody awful, couldn't trap a bag of cement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just looks like a less good Alfie May when we really needed someone in the mold of Leaburn/Aneke. 

Bad scouting and recruitment. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Maybe he wasn’t the correct type signing for us. Without an attacking midfielder at the club, maybe it would have been more sensible to have signed the guy from Port Vale and just play for flicks on. Not getting either from Lapado.
    Can imagine the fan reaction had we turned down a Striker with 15+ goals per the last three seasons to his name at this level

In favour of a lump who has struggled to score more than five goals in a season
  • Options
    Copy and paste my comment from Fiorini thread…

Held his own at Championship level this season.

Didn’t turn into a bad player over night. It’s just the usual Charlton curse.
  • Options
    We should have signed both, especially when Ladapo was a loan. 
  • Options
    Copy and paste my comment from Fiorini thread…

Held his own at Championship level this season.

Didn’t turn into a bad player over night. It’s just the usual Charlton curse.
    The first part of the curse, is we need to stop judging players after four bloody games

How the hell will we get anywhere as a club, with that type of attitude?
  • Options
    How many touches has he had in the oppositions area?

Ladapo isn't the problem
    Ladapo isn't the only problem.
  • Options

Ladapo isn't the problem
    How many touches has he had where he has retained possession?
  • Options

Ladapo isn't the problem
    He is the problem because we can’t get the ball to him. He’s not the profile of player to graft and the hold ball up. Between now and the end of the season how are we going to get the ball to him in the box? 

There is zero point of signing someone and not playing to his skillset. It’s a perfect example of the recruitment not signing players to fit the players we have. 100% blame Scott for signing him rather than Ladapo.