Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Connor Wickham joins on a short term deal

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Was Wickham on the bench yesterday at Wycombe?
  • Options
    Stats wise, Ladapo is a much better bet than Wickham. Played many more games than Wickham has managed in the past 3-4 years with I should add, a much better strike rate. They are the same age.
    Only Freddie knows why it didn't work out here?
  • Options
    Was Wickham on the bench yesterday at Wycombe?
    Nope... Rolled his ankle in training
  • Options
    If we didn’t have Chuks and his associated problems and a question mark over Miles then I think in League One we could take a chance on Connor but the reality is with his seemingly lack of ability to play a decent run of games we can’t take that chance. Ladapo was excruciatingly disappointing so I think he’d be a mistake. Truth is I think we need to bring in two strikers and that’s before looking at the possibility that Alfie might not fit into Jones’s plan.
  • Options
    If we didn’t have Chuks and his associated problems and a question mark over Miles then I think in League One we could take a chance on Connor but the reality is with his seemingly lack of ability to play a decent run of games we can’t take that chance. Ladapo was excruciatingly disappointing so I think he’d be a mistake. Truth is I think we need to bring in two strikers and that’s before looking at the possibility that Alfie might not fit into Jones’s plan.
    And strikers cost the most money, both in fees and wages, which is why the board need to draw the line with NJ re Alfie - assuming any of that talk is reality, of course.
  • Options
    Stats wise, Ladapo is a much better bet than Wickham. Played many more games than Wickham has managed in the past 3-4 years with I should add, a much better strike rate. They are the same age.
    But based on what we’ve seen this season I’d say Wickham is by far the better player. Without the injuries he’d be out of our reach. Just my opinion based on the minutes we’ve seen. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    But based on what we’ve seen this season I’d say Wickham is by far the better player. Without the injuries he’d be out of our reach. Just my opinion based on the minutes we’ve seen. 
    Agreed. But we've seen very little of him in all honesty. But stats don't lie. His very best seasons were 8 years ago!. So longer term they would suggest he's probably not the best bet.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I agree but we seem to be the minority. 

We don’t see what happens on the training pitch but based on minutes I’ve seen? If I was the manager, I would be inviting him back for pre season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    A Wickham who wasn’t injury prone wouldn’t be playing for Charlton unfortunately. 
    New idea: Injury prone players shouldn't play for Charlton 
    Of course, but I wasn’t saying they should Chunesy.  
    If only there was a way of knowing if there was a physical weakness causing the injuries, or just bad luck. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    A Palace work colleague i know said Connor , was an excellent player when he was fit, the problem he had was he was rarely fit for long, before picking up another injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Wickham
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    A Wickham who wasn’t injury prone wouldn’t be playing for Charlton unfortunately. 
    New idea: Injury prone players shouldn't play for Charlton 
    Don't be so ridiculous!

We would never sign anyone otherwise! :-)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I agree but we seem to be the minority. 

We don’t see what happens on the training pitch but based on minutes I’ve seen? If I was the manager, I would be inviting him back for pre season
    Why? His injury record is out of the very top drawer of injury records. Is it worth the 10% chance that he'll play enough minutes to make a difference? If Wickham wants to play for nothing, then that's different....sign him up because he's a good player. 
  • Options
    Maybe sign him on a pay when you play deal; after all he is very talented.
  • Options
    This idea that the winner of this season’s Golden Boot doesn’t fit into Nathan Jones’ plans - only at Charlton, FFS…
  • Options
    Do “pay as you play” deals happen as much as fans think they do? They sound like a great idea, especially if you support a club that seems to have an extremely high number of injuries, but I wonder if they’re really as common as we think.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Do “pay as you play” deals happen as much as fans think they do? They sound like a great idea, especially if you support a club that seems to have an extremely high number of injuries, but I wonder if they’re really as common as we think.
    There is no such thing.

You have to pay a minimum  amount set by the league and PFA.

What club's can do is pay a lower basic wage and bigger conditional payments ie appearance money.

That is less attractive to a player and can back fire as if they are fit and play every game the club ends up paying a lot more.