Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Wishlist 2024

Comments

• Options
    Seeing as this is now the Wrexham thread, this news story has been doing the rounds this week:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-reynolds-loses-millions-wrexham-29084611.amp

Sure they still have the Hollywood and Disney TV appeal, but are they starting to feel the pinch.... 

Tune in next episode to find out!

I'm not expecting them to steam roll through league one just yet 
    Thing is, with so much popularity in the states and globally, they won’t have any trouble bringing in a big hitter to finance the next stage. 
  • Options
    This is it exactly. They'll have no problems attracting major outside investment to help Rob and Ryan. 
  • Options
    Bauer is out of contract this summer, apparently we tried to get him in on loan in January
  • Options
    With the news of Dobbo now leaving confirmed, my big wish (after the imperious Piergianni) would be Brendan Wiredu now. Bring the lad home. 

He can play as a centre back, anchor, box to box. I think he'd be an excellent Dobson replacement. 

Also so happens to be Fleetwoods captain and we need a bit of leadership in the middle. 

Seems like a no brainer move for me 
    The big issue with that move would be Wiredu. It's well known he's not happy about how he left in the first place and we surely would not be the only ones interested. He'd need a considerable wage to come back I think and if we have to cover a mass rebuild it might be prohibitive.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    With the news of Dobbo now leaving confirmed, my big wish (after the imperious Piergianni) would be Brendan Wiredu now. Bring the lad home. 

He can play as a centre back, anchor, box to box. I think he'd be an excellent Dobson replacement. 

Also so happens to be Fleetwoods captain and we need a bit of leadership in the middle. 

The big issue with that move would be Wiredu. It's well known he's not happy about how he left in the first place and we surely would not be the only ones interested. He'd need a considerable wage to come back I think and if we have to cover a mass rebuild it might be prohibitive.
    Would he need a massive financial incentive ? He’d get the going rate +/- a bit of haggling. Frankly if he demanded over the odds to come back I’d tell him to do one. 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    thenewbie said:

Would he need a massive financial incentive ? He’d get the going rate +/- a bit of haggling. Frankly if he demanded over the odds to come back I’d tell him to do one. 
    My concern is that if he's still got the hump about his exit and gets the exact same offer from us and another club then he might very well decide to go with them over us.

So if we get into a situation where we are directly competing for his signature there's a risk we'd need to pay a premium of sorts, which would probably result in a pretty costly contract.

It's possible he's moved on and gotten over it by now but not definite.

I mean, I fully agree that if he does demand over the odds that we should just move on to plan B. But having a plan B doesn't seem to be something Charlton have excelled at recently....
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    If he's not got over it by now I don't want him regardless of price or how good he is
    Especially given it's different people involved with the club etc.

We need players who really want to be here.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    follett said:
    Bauer is out of contract this summer, apparently we tried to get him in on loan in January
    Not even close to what we need

To expand on that, if there wasn't a name attached to it and people said we've been linked with a 6'4 defender from a lower end championship team, who has only played 7 games in the past 2 seasons, who is on the wrong side of 30, everyone would be underwhelmed 
    Agreed, a hero for obvious reasons but wouldn’t want him back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As a versatile squad player yes, as Dobsons replacement I think we need better. 

The aim should be to construct one of the best midfields in the league by signing 2 players to play with Coventry. Wiredu is a good player but I’m not sure he’s that elite level we need in the starting 11 

Maybe someone like Greg Docherty (out of contract at Hull and been linked previously) and then if we did add Luke Berry that would be 3 quality midfielders that have played at higher levels than league 1 
  • Options
    I wonder if NJ is thinking about making a move for his former charge Pelly Mpanzu at Luton. He's an energetic CM so seems to be a good fit for what NJ likes.
  • Options
    follett said:
    That's going on the list
  • Options
    @JiMMy 85 with Harrison Male leaving DW, do you think he has the potential to play in league 1? Clearly too good for national league. 
  • Options
    Been mentioned on another thread but Rodwell stated back in January that we would only sign players from Championship and above who wanted to play for Charlton. Personally I can’t see the practicality or sense in that and seems to rule out most of the players being mentioned on threads like this one. 
  • Options
    Regarding Wrexham, I think I’m right in saying there is no FFP in non league so they were fine to spend their way into the EFL, now surely they are under the rule of losses over a three year period, so my question is does that three year period start when they enter the EFL or does it take into account losses prior to that?
  • Options
    edited May 4
    NabySarr said:

As a versatile squad player yes, as Dobsons replacement I think we need better. 

The aim should be to construct one of the best midfields in the league by signing 2 players to play with Coventry. Wiredu is a good player but I’m not sure he’s that elite level we need in the starting 11 

Maybe someone like Greg Docherty (out of contract at Hull and been linked previously) and then if we did add Luke Berry that would be 3 quality midfielders that have played at higher levels than league 1 
    I personally think he'd be our best midfielder or centre back, depending on where he would be played if he signed.

He's a bit more robust than Dobson and a bit more box to box. Stood out like a sore thumb at Fleetwood for a while and been linked with championship moves previously. Just makes sense imo.

Don't think we have a hope in hell with Berry, he played premier league football last night, imagine he will get a championship gig. Not sure on Docherty either, we get linked with a lot of players and they never end up here. 

In regards to SHGs post, and maybe the view of others here, I'd really take the 'championship players and above' with less than a pinch of salt. It's a ridiculous statement from the club as you'd have to fork out a fortune to get a squad of championship ready players in. It's far more realistic we sign players that are the best in this league and have the potential to step up, maybe even the cream of the crop in league 2. 

I'd be gobsmacked if we signed championship players unless they're cast offs/bit part players like Edun, REG and Gillesphey, all of which have been quite unimpressive tbh. 
  • Options
    Been mentioned on another thread but Rodwell stated back in January that we would only sign players from Championship and above who wanted to play for Charlton. Personally I can’t see the practicality or sense in that and seems to rule out most of the players being mentioned on threads like this one. 
    That's not how NJ built his Luton team, so i think it's unlikely to happen.

I believe theoretically a team built purely from the best of L2 could win L1.

Dan Kemp had a great season at MK Dons and on loan to Swindon. Plenty of goals and plenty of assists. Local lad from Sidcup, i don't think he'd come cheap, but i do think he would be an improvement on what he have.
  • Options
    I think we’ve had so many disappointing signings that have come out of league two with a good reputation. I don’t think it’s feasible to sign up and coming Championship players so we must sign not the best but very very best of league one. 
  • Options
    If we are looking to bring in half a dozen proven performers - other teams best players to get us out of this league - Brannagan from Oxford is who we should make nr 1 target in central midfield 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @JiMMy 85 with Harrison Male leaving DW, do you think he has the potential to play in league 1? Clearly too good for national league. 

Saw loads of him at Worthing when I did their photography, fantastic shot stopper and distribution is top notch but he's small for an EFL keeper. Fantastic prospect though who I expect probably goes League 2 initially. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    If we are looking to bring in half a dozen proven performers - other teams best players to get us out of this league - Brannagan from Oxford is who we should make nr 1 target in central midfield 
    Oxford could be in The Championship next season. Would they let him go and would he view us as a better bet whatever the outcome ?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Iirc he is their top earner by a mile and on about 15k a week. Would be a massive fee too.  No chance
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Oxford could be in The Championship next season. Would they let him go and would he view us as a better bet whatever the outcome ?
    A solid L1 player with a year left on his contract. Won Oxford's player of the season, i think he's be a good replacement for Dobson. 

I don't think Oxford will be playing in the Championship next season.

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Iirc he is their top earner by a mile and on about 15k a week. Would be a massive fee too.  No chance
    15k, did he tell you that himself? I'd be suprised if he was on more than 10.

There would be a fee involved, my guess would be around 200k.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    DOUCHER said:

£14k a week it is apparently. £200k wouldn't get you one of his eyelashes. Brannagan had a release clause of £1.2m back in 2022 and Oxford signed him to a new massive deal when that was triggered. He does only have a year left on his deal but I don't think Oxford will take less than £1m for him even so, and it'll be a brave team that agrees to give him a payrise at our level. If they don't go up this season he's more valuable to them as part of another promotion push and they'd likely rather hang on to him and let him go for free next summer than lose his influence. If he's goes anywhere it'll be the Championship, Bristol City were interested recently.
  • Options
    Bristol City under Liam Manning would make a lot of sense for Brannigan , although they have got Max Bird coming in from Derby who would do a similar role. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    DOUCHER said:

£14k a week it is apparently. £200k wouldn't get you one of his eyelashes. Brannagan had a release clause of £1.2m back in 2022 and Oxford signed him to a new massive deal when that was triggered. He does only have a year left on his deal but I don't think Oxford will take less than £1m for him even so, and it'll be a brave team that agrees to give him a payrise at our level. If they don't go up this season he's more valuable to them as part of another promotion push and they'd likely rather hang on to him and let him go for free next summer than lose his influence. If he's goes anywhere it'll be the Championship, Bristol City were interested recently.
    Oxford may ask for £1m, but there is no way he'll go for that. Brannagan is a proven L1 DM with a year left on his contract.

He signed an extension a couple of years ago with Oxford on the premise that they would build the team around him and push for promotion. lf they don't go up this season then i think he may look for a transfer.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    DOUCHER said:

Oxford may ask for £1m, but there is no way he'll go for that. Brannagan is a proven L1 DM with a year left on his contract.

He signed an extension a couple of years ago with Oxford on the premise that they would build the team around him and push for promotion. lf they don't go up this season then i think he may look for a transfer.
    He’s not going for 200k either