Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

Sounds like we largely outplayed them in the first, and went in one up, but let them back into it midway through the second when they scored two in quick succession. We leveled late and had a few chances to go on and win but it wasn’t to be. 

Charlton 2 Wigan 2
Over to you. 

Comments

• Options
    Yup. All those chances. 2 points lost
  • Options
    The changes Wigan made at half time overloaded our midfield, Ramsey's poor choice of a header allowed them to break on us for the first and the second was pretty similar. There was a few tired performances out there but Dobson, Coventry and Small kept us going. Positive of the night ? Tyreece Campbell looking hungry again. 
  • Options
    Keep Dobson at all costs
    Don't keep Thomas
    Like Ramsey

• Options
    edited April 9
    Not going to win many games if you concede 2 goals.

I thought we looked quite comfortable really up until that 5 minute spell. The first goal could have been defended, but it came from a turn over after Ramsey (who I think is very good) lost it. And these things happen.

The 2nd though was inexcusable. 

Like last year people seem fixated on who is scoring our goals now. Last year our goals were to spread out, this year one person is getting to many of them.

Both years we scored enough and if we could have kept cleans sheets or defended better we would have been challenging for top 6.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How have we not won that 

Because of 2 stupid defensive errors
  • Options
    Most of us knew it was going to go 1-1 after we missed all those chances. Up until the 60th min Wigan weren’t in the game, and suddenly they are 2-1 up. Been the problem the whole season we have allowed non threatening teams chances to get back into matches. 

Two points dropped and any hope of that top half bet winning ended tonight. 
  • Options
    That was the worse defence I have seen at the Valley. 
  • Options
    Two points dropped. Not keen on any of our CBs, we must strengthen here in the summer. 
  • Options
    If Isted can learn to deal with tame shots I can see us turning draws to wins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cut out the 5 mins of Calamity Charlton and it would have been an easy home win
  • Options
    Great cameo from Campbell, Chuks looked off the pace, Lua Lua was awful, the rest of them just meh. Big rebuilding job. Need to build our defence around Thomas and Hector, lol.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Leuth said:
    Lua Lua getting a kicking in player marks but we created an absolute fuckload of chances with him on the field. I thought what he did well was realise he can no longer run past people, and pass to someone else instead. Sure, his legs have gone and he won't get a new contract but I don't actually think he got any decisions wrong while he was on
    Have to politely disagree with you on this one. He contributed very little. Played it safe more often than not and don't remember him being involved in any of our most dangerous moves.
    No I'm saying he did play it safe, because he knew he didn't have the beating of the defenders. Rather than try and fail, he moved it back to someone else. It was exactly what he should have done given he's no longer up to it 
  • Options
    So in the stats that the pundits spout, do we get two points added to the ‘points lost from a winning position’ tally AND 1 point added to the ‘points won from a losing position’ tally 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lua Lua getting a kicking in player marks but we created an absolute fuckload of chances with him on the field. I thought what he did well was realise he can no longer run past people, and pass to someone else instead. Sure, his legs have gone and he won't get a new contract but I don't actually think he got any decisions wrong while he was on
    None of the chances were down to him though. I can't recall a single incisive pass or run he made, at a time when the game was VERY open. 

I understand why NJ brought him on, he's planning for next season, but it was an ineffective appearance.