Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Our passing was definitely better tonight, possibly the best under NJ, where our tactics have been quite hoofball at times. Tonight we strung together some decent moves, but just couldn't quite finish them off.

Interesting that once again when a change at the back was made, it was again Gillesphey who was taken off, rather than Hector and Thomas. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    The changes Wigan made at half time overloaded our midfield, Ramsey's poor choice of a header allowed them to break on us for the first and the second was pretty similar. There was a few tired performances out there but Dobson, Coventry and Small kept us going. Positive of the night ? Tyreece Campbell looking hungry again. 
    But he's out of contract in the summer with no mention of a new one (or he isn't going to sign)
    Jones has been giving TC minutes in recent games, he certainly seems up for it. Hopefully a sign that the player feels wanted, which wasn't the case under Appleton.
  • Options
    Dobson was great and my MOTM.
    Hector and Thomas reverted to Appleton defending tactics for their goals.
    LuaLua didn’t even try and beat his man
    Campbell looked effective
    Ref obviously doesn’t get any attention from his Mrs at home so decided to be the pantomime villain tonight and give them every decision possible. Proper bellend.
    Thomas MOM he was very good tonight alongside Hector who again had a very good game considering the ridiculous booking he got early on .. Ramsey struggled tonight and was at fault for the first , Kanu had a stinker and Anderson again in and out sort of game … Nathan Jones should have freshened it up tonight .. 
  • Options
    The Alfie May goal was actually on side .. 
  • Options
    I thought that was much better than the Barnsley game
    Just a shame most of the team can't kick a ball properly when trying to shoot or where the keepers concerned hold on to one 

Sooo much shit out there

I've seen enough, I don't think Kanu is going to be good enough for any sort of starting spot for us next season, back up at best

Campbell though has re grown his nuts and become the player he's threatened to previously .

As bad as the ref may have been his best blunder was allowing our first goal to stand, imagine the tears if that goal had been allowed against us 
  • Options
    Just a shame most of the team can't kick a ball properly when trying to shoot or where the keepers concerned hold on to one 

Sooo much shit out there

I've seen enough, I don't think Kanu is going to be good enough for any sort of starting spot for us next season, back up at best

Campbell though has re grown his nuts and become the player he's threatened to previously .

As bad as the ref may have been his best blunder was allowing our first goal to stand, imagine the tears if that goal had been allowed against us 
    What was wrong with our first goal?
  • Options
    Enjoyable game with no pressure BUT two poor goals to give away after not going 2-0 up despite being on top and having chances.

All our CB's take turns in making mistakes even in games when they have been playing well.

Ramsey and Small looks like the wing backs in 3-5-2 or attacking back if/when we switch formations.

I could never see why Dobson and Coventry  couldn't play in the same team at the low level of the 3rd tier. George had 2 chances to score plus two great passes for Aneke's Desmond and a good pass for Anderson in the 1st half which he couldn't take.

Tyreece Campbell showed his potential tonight but not sure he wants to stay ?
    Daniel Kanu is like road runner but just couldn't make an impact tonight. Personally I don't want Kanu scoring for fun until the season closes or he will be another youngster sold. 

I was convinced Nathan Jones would galvanize this team and we haven't lost for 12 games but we still have a long way to go to be contenders next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our passing was definitely better tonight, possibly the best under NJ, where our tactics have been quite hoofball at times. Tonight we strung together some decent moves, but just couldn't quite finish them off.

Interesting that once again when a change at the back was made, it was again Gillesphey who was taken off, rather than Hector and Thomas. 
    You can’t really take Hector off after his performances for Jones. He does seem to be organising the defence. 
    Thomas has also raised his game I think. Gillesphey’s getting there, and I like his long diagonal passes which often end in us retaining possession, something they must have been working on in training. 
    Wigan’s slick possession football produced their second goal, but also led to them giving the ball away quite often. We should have made more of those chances. 
    Their 17, Godo, looked very useful, as did Aasgaard. 
    Also, it’s never a good idea to sing ‘your f*{king sh1t when you’re not two or three goals up. It was inevitable that they’d score soon after. 
    Still another entertaining match lads. 
  • Options

Sooo much shit out there

As the defender goes to clear Alfie May tugs on his arm and he stumbles during his attempted clearance that turned in to an og 

Crappy pic off my iPad of it 
    I agree it should not have stood but we have had so many decisions by refs that I don't care anymore. I found it comical. 
  • Options
    edited April 9
    Enjoyable game with no pressure BUT two poor goals to give away after not going 2-0 up despite being on top and having chances.

All our CB's take turns in making mistakes even in games when they have been playing well.

Ramsey and Small looks like the wing backs in 3-5-2 or attacking back if/when we switch formations.

I could never see why Dobson and Coventry  couldn't play in the same team at the low level of the 3rd tier. George had 2 chances to score plus two great passes for Aneke's Desmond and a good pass for Anderson in the 1st half which he couldn't take.

Tyreece Campbell showed his potential tonight but not sure he wants to stay ?
    Daniel Kanu is like road runner but just couldn't make an impact tonight. Personally I don't want Kanu scoring for fun until the season closes or he will be another youngster sold. 

I was convinced Nathan Jones would galvanize this team and we haven't lost for 12 games but we still have a long way to go to be contenders next season.
    Not really under Jones. No more than other clubs.Even at higher levels CBs make mistakes. Watch the EFL highlights and you’ll see loads. 
    Bauer is the only recent CB who was safe as houses for us, but he had his limits. 

Kanu is still a work in progress. No one will be offering decent money for him just yet I think. He doesn’t make things happen yet, not in the way Chuks does, although his pressing is important. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

Sooo much shit out there

As the defender goes to clear Alfie May tugs on his arm and he stumbles during his attempted clearance that turned in to an og 

Crappy pic off my iPad of it 
    I agree it should not have stood but we have had so many decisions by refs that I don't care anymore. I found it comical. 
    Was odd that the Wigan players didn't protest at the time though.

The ref I guess realised he'd got it wrong, as he then gave Wigan lots of soft free kicks.
  • Options
    Even While Charlton were doing OK there was a crying need for a player with creativity to open things up.  Enter TC.  

Reminded me of Shankly's quote about the piano - 'Eight to shift it and three to play the damn thing'.  I really hope we retain the young man next season.
  • Options
    So, so of Charlton, not to beat a team as bad as Wigan were last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nathan Jones might have kept is up but how many has he won ? Drawn far too many games this season - most on the whole EFL
    Only the bottom 5 have won less games than us. 

We can't keep a clean sheet.
    We cant take advantage when on top
    Apart from the strikers no-one else can score. OG has scored more than any non-forward since Jones took over. 

I certainly wont be buying a ST if this isnt rectified massively in the summer. 
    Let's ignore he's got the same blunt instruments that Holden and Appleton had and earned a lot more points, lost a lot less and actually won a few games. He has 18 points from 12 games including 1 loss, 3 wins and 8 draws.

The fact is we have shown a clear improvement in desire & effort to not lose and the players in general have shown improvement under him. 

We need a proper defence that we can all have confidence in, in front of our keeper as I think that's a huge part of why no matter the keeper they look shaky. 
  • Options
    Anyone find it weird that Dobson is finally back at it - with a handful of games to go?

He's been off the boil since January and now the season is closing out we're seeing the Dobbo we loved again... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nathan Jones might have kept is up but how many has he won ? Drawn far too many games this season - most on the whole EFL

Apart from the strikers no-one else can score. OG has scored more than any non-forward since Jones took over. 

Let's ignore he's got the same blunt instruments that Holden and Appleton had and earned a lot more points, lost a lot less and actually won a few games. He has 18 points from 12 games including 1 loss, 3 wins and 8 draws.

The fact is we have shown a clear improvement in desire & effort to not lose and the players in general have shown improvement under him. 

We need a proper defence that we can all have confidence in, in front of our keeper as I think that's a huge part of why no matter the keeper they look shaky. 
    4wins and20points
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

4wins and20points
    Who am I missing? The Wigan game is included here... 

• Options
    How have we not won that 

Because of 2 stupid defensive errors
    Even then Aneke should have scored the tap in 
  • Options
    Isted is shockin should have held the shot for the first goal
    Made a hash of a corner as well - his handling isn't great. Distribution is good but doesn't inspire confidence.