Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Although skill levels are still wanting and a lot of the play was backwards and across in the first half, I was impressed by the fitness levels of the players which has made them more effective in the press throughout the game. Obviously a risk putting Watson on, but Ramsey was, again, very good when he came on for another hour's run out and Anderson was back to full energy pace. The lapses in concentration by the central defenders is something that Jones will want sorted for next season. I am with others in praising Campbell who appears to have got his mojo back and was a real thorn in Wigan's side when he came on. Dobo gave a stand out performance...here's hoping. 
  • Options
    Conversations with Dobbo need to be occuring now. Probably between him and Jones. Then Jones has to drive what he wants through.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:
    Is Dobson definitely gone?  I know he's signed a contract and all, but is there any chance / way of him staying...? 
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-reiterate-desire-to-keep-george-dobson-at-charlton-athletic-but-admits-skippers-future-is-unclear/ 
    At which point do Charlton and, in particular Lord Jones, "know" what Dobo's future holds or whether it's even possible for him to stay?

Or is Lord Jones just saying he doesn't know so he ain't got to talk about it?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:
    Is Dobson definitely gone?  I know he's signed a contract and all, but is there any chance / way of him staying...? 
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-reiterate-desire-to-keep-george-dobson-at-charlton-athletic-but-admits-skippers-future-is-unclear/ 
    We are going to buy him out of his pre contract. 
    Be a spectacular waste of dough, as don't think that'll be cheap
  • Options
    The starting point of any conversation between Jones and Dobbo would surely be, how can you be persuaded to stay? It would become clear whether there is any point in pursuing this as an option or not depending on his answer.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:
    By selling Connor Coventry......who was brought in as Dobbo's replacement. 

Going forward next season, if both are still here & playing regularly as they have been then the side wont get promoted. Its that simple. We need more attacking players in midfield & we cant fit them in (playing 532) with Dobbo & Coventry in there.
  • Options
    another game where some of the players let themselves get dragged down to the crumby standard of the opposition
    first goal was fortunate on 2 counts, not least Alfie's tug on Hughes
    Both Wigan goals were down to the kind of defensive utter complacent ineptitude we hadn't seen for a few weeks
    We might lack a bit of quality up front but Tickle in goal for Wigan looked like a liability couldn't catch a cold everything bounced off him, his back 3 weren't much better
    Gillesphey is pony
    Hector and Thomas managed to switch right off and go AWOL at the same time, twice
    LuaLua offered nothing, Chuks shambled about like he was wading thru treacle and in missing that sitter was putting his head in his hands before the ball had even cleared the bar
    Dobbo eventually dug out a cross that got Chuks so close to the goal even he couldn't contrive to miss 
    TC's energy and enthusiasm terrified the Latics' backline and contributed more than Wickham and LuaLua combined, he needs a contract offer and soon.
    2 points casually and carelessly thrown away
    If I ever see that waddling twat Swabey ever again on a football pitch it will be too soon - even for 3rd division referees he is terrible
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Don't see what Lua Lua or Wickham bring to the table TBH....would rather see an academy product like Casey get a go...... 
    Casey and Wickham are like chalk and cheese. Wickham was worth the gamble as we need a striker like him. I don't think he should get another deal because of his injuries but Casey isn't what we are missing. 
  • Options
    edited April 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:

Going forward next season, if both are still here & playing regularly as they have been then the side wont get promoted. Its that simple. We need more attacking players in midfield & we cant fit them in (playing 532) with Dobbo & Coventry in there.
    I think they are both good enough to play together in a promotion winning side. Neither Dobbo, nor Cov are the reason we are so low in the league, both have proved that they can pay together in a team that is very difficult to beat and whilst they are a more than a little similar it would be fantastic to have high quality cover in such an important position.  
    Agreed
  • Options
    I thought Lua Lua showed a bit of quality. He clearly doesn't want to beat a player but his passing was good. Not sure he is for next season though.
    I could stand there, accept the ball, walk a few yards, pass five yards to a colleague etc. Showed no quality at all. Didn't play a single incisive ball. Compare him to TC. Chalk and cheese. And we are paying him too. 
    The fella was only on for twenty five minutes or so! 
    He was being fairly conservative, trying to get a feel for the pace of the game, trying not to make mistakes. His passing was quite crisp. 
    Maybe he’ll improve next time out, and play those incisive passes. Maybe not; but it’s too early to write him off based on about ten or fifteen touches. 
  • Options
    Well I think last nights game has put to bed any idea that this squad is good enough to challenge for top 6 in league 1 next season.
    A big shake out will be required once again  if we are to start on the road back to the championship.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    I thought Lua Lua showed a bit of quality. He clearly doesn't want to beat a player but his passing was good. Not sure he is for next season though.
    I could stand there, accept the ball, walk a few yards, pass five yards to a colleague etc. Showed no quality at all. Didn't play a single incisive ball. Compare him to TC. Chalk and cheese. And we are paying him too. 
    I actually thought Wickham looked better than Lua Lua, and he was only on for a few minutes. 
    I’d like to see (a fit) Wickham starting, then being replaced by Chuks early in the second half. Weaponry. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Well, the script for that one must have been written by a lover of farce.

After a low key first half the Addicks created enough opportunities to win several games. But our old defensive frailties meant we had to come from behind to gain a draw. Further half chances to win it didn’t quite fall our way so we have to be content with an entertaining point.

On the plus side, Hector strong again, Ramsey did well, Dobbo outstanding in midfield, Chuks made a difference again.

On the downside, Dan Kanu is looking jaded and needs a rest. Didn’t see anything like enough from LuLua to suggest that he’ll get a contract offer.

Although we only had half chances after drawing level, it looked harder for chucks to blaze over the bar from all of two yards out than to score. 

As you say an entertaining game but left feeling slightly cheated with a draw but with a modicum of relief that we hadn't lost and at least we gave it everything trying to snatch a winner. 
    I was watching Chucks in the warm up. He was awful, and one shot went over the the netting behind the goal, which is pretty high.  Each time he shot he missed and was visibly and audibly getting more frustrated.  

During the game I thought he was not as sharp as usual and a little slower.  Hopefully, that goal will help his confidence and get him back on track.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:

Going forward next season, if both are still here & playing regularly as they have been then the side wont get promoted. It’s that simple. We need more attacking players in midfield & we cant fit them in (playing 532) with Dobbo & Coventry in there.
    I think they can. What we need is someone better than Anderson starting as the attacking midfielder. 

Karoy has done well, puts a massive shift in and I’m happy to keep him around as second choice, but we need a 10 that contributes goals/assists regularly. Then Dobson and Coventry is fine
  • Options
    edited April 10
    It was, at least, an enjoyable game last night, as against the 'durge' that was Stevenage! We really should've blown them out of the water. We missed a whole host of chances, hit the post, Chuks missed one on the line, BUT the 'cock up' at the back again cost us 2 points. I agree with NJ we should've won that 5-2.
    I think, if we can keep Dobson that, over time, him and Coventry can play in the same side and drive us forward. I've noticed a 'step change' in Dobbos game in the last few matches, and I think that's because Coventry playing allows Dobbo to not have to charge around like a blue arse fly!
    Wickham played a decent cameo and, I for one, would keep him on next season, even if it's on a pay as you play basis, as a back up experienced striker. Lua Lua I was disappointed with, but it was essentially his first 'proper' involvement, I.e more than a couple of minutes.
    3 games to go, 9 points available and then this 'near disaster' of a season is over. 
    NJ, I'm sure, knows who he wants to keep, ditch or build around. I guess he also knows who he would want to bring in, and I think lots of movement will happen quickly.
    It's going to be an interesting 'close' season that's for sure!
  • Options
    Better performance, but yet again a disappointing result.  Sorry, as many disappointing results under Jones, as Appleton and Holden. We can say it doesn’t matter, but why o why do we find it so hard to win a game. 
  • Options
    Pwr - jones should have swopped kanu off 10 mins before he did - he wasnt having a good game and was getting worse - we upped the tempo after half time which was good as first half was tedious but we stopped threatening after 55 mins and should have changed it - hectors been good since back but did a couple of silly things first half and sounds like he was ‘on the scene’ for the 2 goals?  but not seen them back personally  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    clive said:
    Awful video editing again!
    You know we just slap a Charlton TV badge on the video shared to the press association, right?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Correct, we got one point last night.
  • Options
    Better performance, but yet again a disappointing result.  Sorry, as many disappointing results under Jones, as Appleton and Holden. We can say it doesn’t matter, but why o why do we find it so hard to win a game. 
    Because we have a squad that by and large is not good enough. There's good individual players in there but realistically this is a resolutely midtable squad stuck in midtable.
  • Options
    Or why do we find it so easy not to be beaten 
  • Options
    We badly need a new keeper upgrade.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Flawed team & squad assembled by Scott & Methven. Without Nathan Jones that squad was going down & sinking without a trace. Unbeaten apart from Reading. Easy to forget how dire & desperate things were under Atherton, I guess
    I’d forgotten about Atherton….
  • Options
    I said before the game that the bench, stuffed full of strikers and wingers and no centre backs, looked like one ready for a change of formation, and a chance to try out players. Of the subs, Lualua was completely ineffective, TC was excellent, Chuks scored one and missed a sitter, while Wickham didn't have enough time to do much, though looked sharp.

An entertaining but strange game in that we had tons of chances, but didn't test the keeper enough, too many shots being straight at him. We dominated them, yet needed a dubious OG to score one of our goals.

Terrible defending for 5 minutes cost us dearly, the second goal in particular was a collective shambles. Ramsay looked rusty at times, but will improve hopefully. 

Dobbo was my MOTM today, thriving in a forward pressing role, and nearly scoring.
    On Wickham, it did make me laugh that after Greg spent a couple of minutes when he came on saying that we shouldn't be expecting him to be running around and closing down the opposition, the first thing he did was close down a Wigan player by the RH touchline and win possession back for us.