Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Nathan Jones might have kept is up but how many has he won ? Drawn far too many games this season - most on the whole EFL
    Only the bottom 5 have won less games than us. 

We can't keep a clean sheet.
    We cant take advantage when on top
    Apart from the strikers no-one else can score. OG has scored more than any non-forward since Jones took over. 

I certainly wont be buying a ST if this isnt rectified massively in the summer. 
    You're not wrong. We've lost the same number of games as Blackpool in 8th, but they are 16 points better off!
  • Options
    Well that was two points lost.

A fairly comfortable first half without us really looking a consistent threat. I thought we harried and pressed really well and kept possession nicely.

We really came out of the traps second half with some half chances and Dobbo hitting the post. Then two moments of poor defending gifted them two goals and we were up against it. Luckily Wigan looked jaded and the quality of the subs we put on meant we weee going to create chances. A lovely cross from Dobson for Chuks’ goal and then we had some decent opening without having the composure to take them.

Frustrating but more positives than negatives, particularly in that Dobson and Coventry are showing they can play together and are building a good understanding.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lua Lua getting a kicking in player marks but we created an absolute fuckload of chances with him on the field. I thought what he did well was realise he can no longer run past people, and pass to someone else instead. Sure, his legs have gone and he won't get a new contract but I don't actually think he got any decisions wrong while he was on
    He was fricking useless.
  • Options
    Entertaining game with a disappointing result. Thought Wigan looked awful for much of it and were there for the taking. The comedic kicking of Mr Tickle and lack of communication between their defence giving them a distinctly Appletonesque feel. To our credit we created lots of opportunities and as well as the goals there were several ifs and buts moments. Ifs and buts don't win matches though, so we need to become a bit more clinical in front of goal. That, and cut out the moments of madness.
  • Options
    How have we not won that 

Because of 2 stupid defensive errors
    Because we didnt score a 2nd when on top. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why are we letting Dobbo go, madness.
    The person who made that decision is in charge of our recruitment in the summer. Not convinced we will bring in the right  players or let the wrong ones go. 
  • Options
    Don't see what Lua Lua or Wickham bring to the table TBH....would rather see an academy product like Casey get a go...... 
  • Options
    Watched 3 great English teams tonight:
    Man city, Arsenal on Big TV and Charlton on Lap top.
  • Options
    edited April 9
    Nathan Jones might have kept is up but how many has he won ? Drawn far too many games this season - most on the whole EFL

Apart from the strikers no-one else can score. OG has scored more than any non-forward since Jones took over. 

After a few months back, golfie isback
    ladies and gentleman 
  • Options
    Lua Lua, what’s the point.?

Istead fumbles again.

Missed loads of chances again.

Kanu needs a rest.

Are you really judging a player on 20 mins?
  • Options
    Thought we looked better when we went 4 at the back.

Dobson was class. Gillesphey has a great passing range but is making simple errors far too often.

Annoying that we completely fell asleep for 5 minutes. Can't do that next season. 

Ramsay could be a very good addition. Would work well in an attacking side.

Referee was even worse than the usual standard. Inconsistent and massively soft at times. Blowing at the end to stop Lua Lua crossing was the icing on the cake. 

Will need lots of work in the transfer window, but I do think we are finally on the right path.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobson was great and my MOTM.
    Hector and Thomas reverted to Appleton defending tactics for their goals.
    LuaLua didn’t even try and beat his man
    Campbell looked effective
    Ref obviously doesn’t get any attention from his Mrs at home so decided to be the pantomime villain tonight and give them every decision possible. Proper bellend.
  • Options
    Lua Lua, what’s the point.?

Istead fumbles again.

Missed loads of chances again.

Kanu needs a rest.

Are you really judging a player on 20 mins?
    To be fair it was a extremely awful 20 minutes. If at times we want to switch to a 4-4-2 then at least Campbell can beat players, Lua Lua I doubt could beat an egg. 
  • Options
    Can't see us extending LuaLua or Wickham after that but I actually think a decent winger and a big forward won't be too hard to come by in the summer, think we have the nucleus of something good if Dobbo sticks around, if not I'd like to see us replace him with some goals from the middle 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    The changes Wigan made at half time overloaded our midfield, Ramsey's poor choice of a header allowed them to break on us for the first and the second was pretty similar. There was a few tired performances out there but Dobson, Coventry and Small kept us going. Positive of the night ? Tyreece Campbell looking hungry again. 
    But he's out of contract in the summer with no mention of a new one (or he isn't going to sign)
  • Options
    Two points thrown away, their second goal was ridiculous from us. Still an enjoyable game. I thought TC was outstanding when he came on. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Well, the script for that one must have been written by a lover of farce.

After a low key first half the Addicks created enough opportunities to win several games. But our old defensive frailties meant we had to come from behind to gain a draw. Further half chances to win it didn’t quite fall our way so we have to be content with an entertaining point.

On the plus side, Hector strong again, Ramsey did well, Dobbo outstanding in midfield, Chuks made a difference again.

On the downside, Dan Kanu is looking jaded and needs a rest. Didn’t see anything like enough from LuLua to suggest that he’ll get a contract offer.

Although we only had half chances after drawing level, it looked harder for chucks to blaze over the bar from all of two yards out than to score. 

As you say an entertaining game but left feeling slightly cheated with a draw but with a modicum of relief that we hadn't lost and at least we gave it everything trying to snatch a winner. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Nathan Jones might have kept is up but how many has he won ? Drawn far too many games this season - most on the whole EFL

You're not wrong. We've lost the same number of games as Blackpool in 8th, but they are 16 points better off!

But the difference would be that the way Nathan has got the team playing  now would mean we wouldn’t have lost all those games and we would have picked up draws and wins instead of losses and a few more wins instead of those we drew