Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

12346»

Comments

• Options
    vff said:
    Better performance, but yet again a disappointing result.  Sorry, as many disappointing results under Jones, as Appleton and Holden. We can say it doesn’t matter, but why o why do we find it so hard to win a game. 
    Flawed team & squad assembled by Scott & Methven. Without Nathan Jones that squad was going down & sinking without a trace. Unbeaten apart from Reading. Easy to forget how dire & desperate things were under Atherton, I guess
    Methven? Thought it was more down to Scott and possibly Rodwell
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    clive said:
    Awful video editing again!
    You know we just slap a Charlton TV badge on the video shared to the press association, right?
    That slap is what I called an edit, but I'm sure you know what I meant, right. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    vff said:
    Better performance, but yet again a disappointing result.  Sorry, as many disappointing results under Jones, as Appleton and Holden. We can say it doesn’t matter, but why o why do we find it so hard to win a game. 
    Flawed team & squad assembled by Scott & Methven. Without Nathan Jones that squad was going down & sinking without a trace. Unbeaten apart from Reading. Easy to forget how dire & desperate things were under Atherton, I guess
    Not a fan of Scott but to be fair to him, the amount available for the contract may have been limited by Methven (liaising with US investors). Methven would be happy for someone else to take the flak. 
  • Options
    vff said:
    Gribbo said:
    vff said:
    Not a fan of Scott but to be fair to him, the amount available for the contract may have been limited by Methven (liaising with US investors). Methven would be happy for someone else to take the flak. 
    Biased much?
  • Options
    Or why do we find it so easy not to be beaten 
    46 games Drawn would give you 46 points. 

46 points in all probability would get you relegated. 

A Draw in most cases is a poor result and we have 18 so far this season which is more than any other club across the four divisions. 

Until we start converting Draws to Wins we will not be challenging for the top six.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Pwr - jones should have swopped kanu off 10 mins before he did - he wasnt having a good game and was getting worse - we upped the tempo after half time which was good as first half was tedious but we stopped threatening after 55 mins and should have changed it - hectors been good since back but did a couple of silly things first half and sounds like he was ‘on the scene’ for the 2 goals?  but not seen them back personally  
    Kanu definitely looked off the pace to me and not the energetic player he has been of late. He should have come off earlier both from a team perspective but also in case he could have actually even been unwell and his performance was never likely to improve in that case. There’s plenty of things going around including a cold that half the people I know have had so keeping him on the pitch when there were suitable replacement striking partner options on the bench was unnecessary.
  • Options
    Any time Kanu spends on the pitch, playing well or not is an investment for next season. 
    …because next season we are going to need a striker not scoring or creating goals for others to score ? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any time Kanu spends on the pitch, playing well or not is an investment for next season. 
    …because next season we are going to need a striker not scoring or creating goals for others to score ? 

It depends on what you see when ou see Kanu. I see a 19 year old kid who will score lots of goals at this level going forwards.
    So do I, but don't think he's a starter next year, when Jones system have worked with a big powerful striker up top 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I like the way the negativity is creeping back in: 
    Not losing for thirteen games isn’t good enough! 46 draws gets you relegated! Was Hector near the scene of their two goals?! Aneke blazed over from three yards!
    I reckon there’s a dopamine hit element here.  😊

Before Jones took over we were crapping ourselves about getting relegated. 
    Have things improved? Yes. Do they need to improve further? Yes. 
    In the meantime  I’m looking forward to Wycombe and Shrewsbury. Missing Cambridge though. 🙁
    NJRAWA!

Not for sure, but it's nervy territory. In 20/21 Rochdale were relegated on 47.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Not losing for thirteen games isn’t good enough! 46 draws gets you relegated! Was Hector near the scene of their two goals?! Aneke blazed over from three yards!

In the meantime  I’m looking forward to Wycombe and Shrewsbury. Missing Cambridge though. 🙁
    NJRAWA!

Bloody hell that’s us doomed then. I agree it’s a negative view we are 13 unbeaten.  But draws with Bolton and Portsmouth and the defeat of Derby. Looked like we were moving in the right direction. Results against Fleetwood, Exeter, Wigan , Northampton show we are not. Jones has got us exactly where we thought this inept squad would be , Lower mid table.  Hence is he exceeding expectations, not really.  

I worry that the board thought the core of a good side is here following the Jan window. An to us it’s obvious it’s not. 

• Options

It depends on what you see when ou see Kanu. I see a 19 year old kid who will score lots of goals at this level going forwards.
    As I do but when he looked off the pace the other night (imo) I would rather we didn’t overplay him now at the arse end of the season if we don’t need to. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:

NJRAWA!

Bloody hell that’s us doomed then. I agree it’s a negative view we are 13 unbeaten.  But draws with Bolton and Portsmouth and the defeat of Derby. Looked like we were moving in the right direction. Results against Fleetwood, Exeter, Wigan , Northampton show we are not. Jones has got us exactly where we thought this inept squad would be , Lower mid table.  Hence is he exceeding expectations, not really.  

I worry that the board thought the core of a good side is here following the Jan window. An to us it’s obvious it’s not. 

This is probably where it becomes important to see how much influence/power Jones has over the whole process. He will be very aware of the potential flaws in the squad I am sure but it's question of how much he will be able to do over a given timescale.

What we need to do realistically is probably a nearly total reboot of the squad but for financial reasons etc that might not be very palatable to certain parties.
  • Options
    Good things about the game:
    The amount of chances we created
    The work rate of the team
    The ball floating over Mr Tickle's head for the first
    Good noise from the Covered End for a fairly sparse looking Valley

Not so good:
    The ref - absolutely appalling
    T Watson going off injured
    Dobbo hitting the post, when he so deserved a goal
    Aneke missing from about a yard out (although the ball was fizzed in pretty rapid)
    £6.40 for a pint of beer
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Not losing for thirteen games isn’t good enough! 46 draws gets you relegated! Was Hector near the scene of their two goals?! Aneke blazed over from three yards!

NJRAWA!

Hi James. 
    FWIW  I think Nathan Jones is the right man for the job.
    I also give him much credit for getting us away from the relegation spot's. 
    I also believe that if he is given the right amount of backing in the summer that we will be challenging at the top end of the table next season. 
    The point I was trying to make when I pointed out that we have drawn 18 games this season is that as things stand our squad is nowhere near good enough. 
    Certain posters seem to think we only need 3 or 4 better players to challenge next season. 
    Personally I think we need a lot more .
    Anyway onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    A better way to judge how close our squad is, is to watch the matches and observe how dominant we are in them
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A better way to judge how close our squad is, is to watch the matches and observe how dominant we are in them
    A better way to judge how close our squad is,is to count how many clean sheets we keep.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:

NJRAWA!

Bloody hell that's us doomed then. I agree it’s a negative view we are 13 unbeaten.  But draws with Bolton and Portsmouth and the defeat of Derby. Looked like we were moving in the right direction. Results against Fleetwood, Exeter, Wigan , Northampton show we are not. Jones has got us exactly where we thought this inept squad would be , Lower mid table.  Hence is he exceeding expectations, not really.  

I've given factual evidence that 46 draws wouldn't guarantee safety. Not sure what your point is. We're not on 46. We're on 51. Why would we be doomed? 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:

NJRAWA!

Bloody hell that's us doomed then. I agree it’s a negative view we are 13 unbeaten.  But draws with Bolton and Portsmouth and the defeat of Derby. Looked like we were moving in the right direction. Results against Fleetwood, Exeter, Wigan , Northampton show we are not. Jones has got us exactly where we thought this inept squad would be , Lower mid table.  Hence is he exceeding expectations, not really.  

I've given factual evidence that 46 draws wouldn't guarantee safety. Not sure what your point is. We're not on 46. We're on 51. Why would we be doomed? 
    Next Season……. Unless board recognise this squad isn’t good enough…… 
  • Options
    edited April 11
    I'd wager we won't be drawing 46 games next season.
  • Options
    Any tips for the Grand National? 😉
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Choose the one with four legs and a long face
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Choose the one with four legs and a long face
    Isn't that the same criteria Andy Scott uses to recruit defenders?
  • Options
    Major said:
    vff said:
    Gribbo said:
    vff said:
    Biased much?
    No - not a fan of Scott but in this situation, he may not have had control of money available for Dobson’s contract. Methven appears to be point of contact with the US owners & likely involved.