Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Wigan Athletic: Tuesday 9th April 2024: KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    That felt like two points lost. I thought Wigan were poor and the number of chances we created we should have won that comfortably. Not a great performance - seemed a bit flat in the first half - but decent entertainment and another game unbeaten. Lualua was very poor for his cameo. He has lost all his pace and seemed lacking in ideas. Had no positive impact at all IMO.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oh the postponed Derby game! So that's P13, W4, D8, L1 - 20pts, AVG 1.53ppg

His predecessors averaged 0.97PPG
    Form table from the last twelve...

Even better looking at that is our opponents avg PPG we have played the second highest average opponents. 
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Game was full of reminders for me...

A) Wigan's defending brought back a quote from Bowyer about how other teams never seemed to gift us goals they way we gifted then to others.... this trait had persisted in the seasons since. Wigan were a rare example of a team being as ridiculously bad and error prone at the back as we have been.

B ) For the 4th season in a row we continue a tendency to batter teams for long periods and contrive to draw (or even lose).

Entertaining game, but am glad there was nothing riding on it. 

Looking forward to a trip to Cambridge 

• Options
    clive said:
    Awful video editing again!
  • Options
    Jones said that May’s goal from the quick free kick was onside? Can’t see any replays of it and from where I was sat it looked to be off. Anyone seen it again?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Entertaining game with a disappointing result. Thought Wigan looked awful for much of it and were there for the taking. The comedic kicking of Mr Tickle and lack of communication between their defence giving them a distinctly Appletonesque feel. To our credit we created lots of opportunities and as well as the goals there were several ifs and buts moments. Ifs and buts don't win matches though, so we need to become a bit more clinical in front of goal. That, and cut out the moments of madness.
    I’m sure they said on CharltonTV that Tickle is an England U21 keeper 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    Isted is shockin should have held the shot for the first goal
    Made a hash of a corner as well - his handling isn't great. Distribution is good but doesn't inspire confidence.
    Said it on the match thread. Parrying, punching or palming the ball seems to be favoured by the modern keeper, rather than catching it (or at least attempting to). The Man U keeper was doing it at the weekend. Seem to remember keepers getting fined if they opted to punch the ball rather than catch it, back.in the 90's.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    The game had no peril attached to it but wasn't a hard watch. I thought we played well and should have won by a couple of goals margin. Defensively we looked good apart from a five minute spell in the second half. In some ways, i'm sure these games are useful for Jones. We were wasteful in front of goal and should have been out of sight before they scored. We do need more goals through the team as we are too reliant on a small number of players chipping in. That explains the high number of draws. I think it is good for a manager when the issues start to become obvious and therefore easier to solve.

Defensively, we are definitely better than before Jones but both the Wigan goals were poor from that perspective. Poor rather than disasterous, but if you are not taking your chances, poor is an even bigger issue. We have now gone a quarter of a season without losing which considering the point we came from before that is pretty amazing. I think we can say, for a change, that January was a very good window. If the summer window is good as well, we ought to be challenging for promotion next season.

Campbell has looked a different player in the last couple of games when he has come on and I think he should be given a contract as he is young and showing he has potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Dobson definitely gone?  I know he's signed a contract and all, but is there any chance / way of him staying...? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Made a hash of a corner as well - his handling isn't great. Distribution is good but doesn't inspire confidence.
    Said it on the match thread. Parrying, punching or palming the ball seems to be favoured by the modern keeper, rather than catching it (or at least attempting to). The Man U keeper was doing it at the weekend. Seem to remember keepers getting fined if they opted to punch the ball rather than catch it, back.in the 90's.
    When you think of the gloves the keepers wear these days, I can’t understand not catching the ball as your first option.
  • Options
    Interesting, I never think of his distribution as that great. Sure, he's not making clangers like the opposing keeper yesterday, but he always seems too ponderous to me and much of his distribution seems to be either easy passes to centre backs or long punts up front. I can't remember many incisive passes to teammates who've found good space in the middle. It's like he's looking for a great pass, then gives up and goes for the easy option. Perhaps that says more about his colleagues, than him. 
  • Options
    I thought his distribution was good yesterday. His kicking is not always great but it was fine yesterday. He doesn't command his box as much as I would like. He isn't terrible but I think we need better next season.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Interesting, I never think of his distribution as that great. Sure, he's not making clangers like the opposing keeper yesterday, but he always seems too ponderous to me and much of his distribution seems to be either easy passes to centre backs or long punts up front. I can't remember many incisive passes to teammates who've found good space in the middle. It's like he's looking for a great pass, then gives up and goes for the easy option. Perhaps that says more about his colleagues, than him. 
    Compared to AMB his distribution looks good - far less ponderous and more accurate with his kicking.

His flap at the corner was worrying and he pushed the ball back into a dangerous area for their first goal.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Leuth said:
    Lua Lua getting a kicking in player marks but we created an absolute fuckload of chances with him on the field. I thought what he did well was realise he can no longer run past people, and pass to someone else instead. Sure, his legs have gone and he won't get a new contract but I don't actually think he got any decisions wrong while he was on
    Have to politely disagree with you on this one. He contributed very little. Played it safe more often than not and don't remember him being involved in any of our most dangerous moves.
    Totally agree with you. I thought Kirk had sneaked back in and disguised himself as Lua Lua.
  • Options
    I thought Lua Lua showed a bit of quality. He clearly doesn't want to beat a player but his passing was good. Not sure he is for next season though.
  • Options
    That miss by Aneke … criminal. He was virtually standing on the line
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need a top class keeper for next year.  Perhaps AMB out on loan to another league 1 team for a full season to get his confidence up.  But we need an experienced, assured, top quality keeper.  Personally, I want Phillips back, as remember being a big fan when he was here.  
  • Options
    I thought his distribution was good yesterday. His kicking is not always great but it was fine yesterday. He doesn't command his box as much as I would like. He isn't terrible but I think we need better next season.
    I actually think he would want to stay now, under Jones.  I think the club has a direction, has a clear aim and has a figurehead.  Who knows, maybe the Hungarians will play nice. 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    We need a top class keeper for next year.  Perhaps AMB out on loan to another league 1 team for a full season to get his confidence up.  But we need an experienced, assured, top quality keeper.  Personally, I want Phillips back, as remember being a big fan when he was here.  
    I think with a keeper, you can loan them to the National League as the lower level doesn't make a big difference in terms of their development. Then you have a keeper who you can bring back in an emergency.
  • Options
    I thought Lua Lua showed a bit of quality. He clearly doesn't want to beat a player but his passing was good. Not sure he is for next season though.
    I could stand there, accept the ball, walk a few yards, pass five yards to a colleague etc. Showed no quality at all. Didn't play a single incisive ball. Compare him to TC. Chalk and cheese. And we are paying him too. 
  • Options
    I could stand there, accept the ball, walk a few yards, pass five yards to a colleague etc. Showed no quality at all. Didn't play a single incisive ball. Compare him to TC. Chalk and cheese. And we are paying him too. 
    I actually thought Wickham looked better than Lua Lua, and he was only on for a few minutes. 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Is Dobson definitely gone?  I know he's signed a contract and all, but is there any chance / way of him staying...? 
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-reiterate-desire-to-keep-george-dobson-at-charlton-athletic-but-admits-skippers-future-is-unclear/ 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    felix_31 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-reiterate-desire-to-keep-george-dobson-at-charlton-athletic-but-admits-skippers-future-is-unclear/ 
    We are going to buy him out of his pre contract.