Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Shocking game and as Jones said last week, "It's personnel." 
  • Options

I forgot to mention, as I totally agree with NJ.
    only a complete Moron would not give Dobson a new contract………was the person responsible and Ex Tory politician I wonder 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Leaburn returning fit and staying with us for a full season next year will be key IMO.

Think we are in serious need of midfield improvements. Dobson will be gone, and Anderson is still a work in progress and can’t be counted on for a full promotion season.

And the city of Coventry used to be the biggest load of shit called Coventry I had ever seen. Until Conor’s turd of a performance today.

And let’s not kid ourselves that all our CBs are worth keeping. It was calamity central in the first half - so major changes needed at CB.

I would focus on 2 x CBs (both starting standard), 3 x CMs and a proper alternative to Leaburn that won’t be injured non stop.

EDIT - oh and a keeper that can catch a cross would be nice as well 
    Why can I see most of our summer dealings being paid for by Leaburn leaving pretty quickly to the Premier League/Championship? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fortunately I’m confident for the first time in absolutely ages that our manager knows what he’s doing and is himself confident that he’s going to be given the tools to do it. I still think that we’re more realistically looking at season 25/26 for promotion but anything less than playoffs or just missing for next season is disastrous. 
  • Options
    Painful game. Jones has done well to make us comfortably safe, BUT it's been a grim watch, especially against the poorer teams. 

Awful first half, slightly better second half, with the goal a rate moment of quality. We had a full week of training, so surely enough time to practice the 442 diamond if Jones wanted to try it today?
  • Options
    Not commenting on the game, nothing to add. However NJ 's post match conference was very interesting and exciting! Spoken about being backed by the board and wanting promotion. Also interesting that he said he wished he was in earlier, re Dobbo, he didn't want him to go! Curbs has just said virtually the same thing. If you haven't watched, it can I suggest you do?
    His mandate was to keep us up....he has, now he wants to kick on! Next year could be very very good.

There will need to be a BIG churn of players to get anywhere near top 6. A lot of the current dross are under contract & the ones we wanted to keep (Dobbo) were allowed go.

And dont forget....Andy Scott is still in charge of recruitment. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Terrible game. Only positives I can take are that I hopefully never have to sit through another performance from Hector, Edun or Isted.  As likeable as Thomas is, hopefully he moves on too and takes Gillesphy with him although that is unlikely.

This squad have taken us to our worst season in 98 years and that isn't because of luck or even particularly about management. They are just very very poor quality.

Andy Scott has to take a large amount of the blame but having said he would hold his hands up if there was failure he has I stead gone into hiding.
    What was wrong with Hector today? He did one foul in a dangerous area and was otherwise more or less flawless? The disrespect never ends, does it 
    He did ok today. I'd keep him but not as a starter. Need two centre halves to come in as starters alongside Jones then Hector as one of the back up options.
  • Options
    GeoffB said:
    Do supporters think this team even with additions can improve so much as to challenge for a play off place next season. I guess its possible but hard to be too optimistic. Aneke is popular with fans but has scored twice this season - without May we would have been relegated. If a championship side bids for May what happens then. 
    I agree with Curbs, why does May not start some games, or is taken off.  Our top scorer will be off if we are not careful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK maybe Jones has saved us from relegation, other than that his management and tactics have been poor, why some of you think it will be better next season I do not know
    Yeah! You know apart from taking a club with the longest winless run in the EFL this season and turning it in to a 14 game unbeaten run saving us comfortably from the drop with a group of players that have been dire all season. What has he done? 

Clearly there is going to be a mass change in personal this summer, he’s said as much. It will be better 
    you don't win anything with a succession of draws, just don't get relegated, who is financing this mass change in personal the new owners haven't spent anything yet.
  • Options
    Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

First half didn't feel like many were desperately playing for a job with us next year and to be honest out of the players who started first half other than May, Dobson, Anderson and Small I wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest were cleared out this summer. (Would also keep Wickham as a battering ram Aneke type ans think Coventry will bed in over summer and show what his reputation is about next season).

Much better second half against a hoofball Shrewsbury and obviously Jones had put a rocket up them at half time. Aneke and Kanu did well and Ramsey is our starting number 2 on the right next season surely.

Busiest I've seen the covered End concourse this season and hopefully will see more of that next year.

Glad season is all but done and hopefully keep the no loss record next week and build a squad ASAP over the summer ready to give it a proper go from August next season.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    OK maybe Jones has saved us from relegation, other than that his management and tactics have been poor, why some of you think it will be better next season I do not know
    Yeah! You know apart from taking a club with the longest winless run in the EFL this season and turning it in to a 14 game unbeaten run saving us comfortably from the drop with a group of players that have been dire all season. What has he done? 

Clearly there is going to be a mass change in personal this summer, he’s said as much. It will be better 
    you don't win anything with a succession of draws, just don't get relegated, who is financing this mass change in personal the new owners haven't spent anything yet.
    Why do you think the owners have bought us? If it's for a return, do you think this season has added to the clubs value? You're assuming they're all idiots aren't you?

Edit. who do you think pays our bills? You say they've spent no money. Not true. Just not on net transfer fees (yet)
  • Options
    I refuse to believe that there has been a worse game of football ever played than that.Everything up in the air,complete lack of skill or ability to control a football(Wickham and Dobbo excepted).Keepers untroubled other than Istead having a brainstorm.
    Complete clear out needed starting with the keeper.Glad this is nearly over.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Anyone catch that moment in the second half when Thomas hit another terrible ball and Jones spun around, pulled his hoodie over his head and put his hands in his race
    I noticed that.
    Thomas won't be here next season 100% guaranteed 
  • Options
    That game just summed up the season. Lack of quality all round, will need a big turnover in the summer to be challenging next season