Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    The game sums up our season: mediocre at best. Big changes needed in the close season. 
  • Options
    The scale of Jones’s task is immense. If he can get this squad rebuilt enough in one summer window to be challenging for the top six it will be simply astonishing. Personally I don’t think it’s realistic but next season surely must be better than this. 
  • Options

He was out on the pitch, some forty or so minutes before K.O. About to make his Charlton debut. Not a youngster, but seasoned professional, ex England International. Saw the three spotty young teenage lads, already enthusiastically at the Valley. Smiles, strolls across, has a chat. 1969. Team accompanying had some “locals”. The No.11 (first ever substitute in English Football, 1965) was a schoolmate of my sister at senior school. Happy days. Genuine players. The seasoned professional keen to put in a good show in the “evening of his”, and the eager young aspirant… Somewhere still here, from that era, a programme vs. “F.C. Den Bosch”, signed by the great Bill Nicholson, there to “scout”. Real football, fun stuff, even though in “Division Two”. Now reflect on this afternoon / season….. 98 years, and truly feeding off the bottom of the pond.

• Options
    Many players looked like they had already been given their P45s. Sluggish and lacklustre. Only Dobbo and Anderson showed any energy and fight. A mention too for Wickham who showed good hold up play and gave a superbly weighted pass for Dobbo to score. Summer clear out is coming.
  • Options
    GeoffB said:
    Do supporters think this team even with additions can improve so much as to challenge for a play off place next season. I guess its possible but hard to be too optimistic. Aneke is popular with fans but has scored twice this season - without May we would have been relegated. If a championship side bids for May what happens then. 
    I agree with Curbs, why does May not start some games, or is taken off.  Our top scorer will be off if we are not careful.
    Be gutted for him if Colbey Bishop pips him to the golden boot.
  • Options
    I've never left a game at half time. Came close today.
  • Options
    That draw ensured Shrewsbury's safety in League 1. They battled hard for it and deserved their point, but really ... it has been far too easy to nick points off Charlton this season.  I just hope that Charlton isn't the dream fixture for struggling teams next season ... I just can't take the humiliation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thomas at right back today , just about sums up this dog turd season!
  • Options
    Think the major issue in the summer will be how easily can we move some of these players on? 

It's been the sticking point in most of our rebuilds of previous years. Stuck trying to sell our deadwood and unable to buy until they're gone. 
    But how many we want to move on are still in contract? McGrandles, Fraser and one of Isted/AMB. No others I don't think. 
  • Options
    edited April 20
    I've never left a game at half time. Came close today.
    I have...can't remember the game though...🙄
  • Options
    Think the major issue in the summer will be how easily can we move some of these players on? 

It's been the sticking point in most of our rebuilds of previous years. Stuck trying to sell our deadwood and unable to buy until they're gone. 
    But how many we want to move on are still in contract? McGrandles, Fraser and one of Isted/AMB. No others I don't think. 
    Add Edun and Watson to that list, neither are good enough. Not sure what's happened to L.Jones does N.Jones not rate him? Not convinced by Gillesphey and REG can't even get in the side ahead of the woeful Thomas so maybe Jones don't rate him either?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaburn returning fit and staying with us for a full season next year will be key IMO.

Think we are in serious need of midfield improvements. Dobson will be gone, and Anderson is still a work in progress and can’t be counted on for a full promotion season.

And the city of Coventry used to be the biggest load of shit called Coventry I had ever seen. Until Conor’s turd of a performance today.

And let’s not kid ourselves that all our CBs are worth keeping. It was calamity central in the first half - so major changes needed at CB.

I would focus on 2 x CBs (both starting standard), 3 x CMs and a proper alternative to Leaburn that won’t be injured non stop.

EDIT - oh and a keeper that can catch a cross would be nice as well 

Just a full spine for the team ! Goalkeeper, central defenders, central midfielders and a striker.
  • Options
    The general standard of football is absolutely abysmal at the moment, both from us and our opposition so often. 

We absolutely need to get out of this division next season, I’m not sure we can sustain even our currently paltry crowds when this is what’s being served up. 

I’m looking forward to going to Wycombe next week mainly because it will get this season over and done with - not sure I’ve felt that way before. 
  • Options
    Jaded! Performance, players, atmosphere and even the look of the stadium. 
    We’re safe - one to go - looking forward to the break!
  • Options
    Last game for me, thank god what a terrible season. Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the season was that this was now where near the worst squad we have ever had, however they managed to contrive to secure our second worst finish in our history, accompanied by some of the most inept performances. Nathan offers a glimmer of hope with his 14 match unbeaten draws, ok there were a few wins.
    This summer I feel is make or break. In Nathen I trust, don’t let us down 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The general standard of football is absolutely abysmal at the moment, both from us and our opposition so often. 

We absolutely need to get out of this division next season, I’m not sure we can sustain even our currently paltry crowds when this is what’s being served up. 

I’m looking forward to going to Wycombe next week mainly because it will get this season over and done with - not sure I’ve felt that way before. 
    Welcome to League One,  yep you're welcome to it!
  • Options
    It looks like the defenders response to Jones off hand criticism of them was to prove him wright, they made no attempt to prove him wrong, two managers sacked this season because of them.
    They were a disgrace this afternoon, lucky that Shrewsbury have a poor record at scoring goals.
  • Options
    Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

First half didn't feel like many were desperately playing for a job with us next year and to be honest out of the players who started first half other than May, Dobson, Anderson and Small I wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest were cleared out this summer. (Would also keep Wickham as a battering ram Aneke type ans think Coventry will bed in over summer and show what his reputation is about next season).

Much better second half against a hoofball Shrewsbury and obviously Jones had put a rocket up them at half time. Aneke and Kanu did well and Ramsey is our starting number 2 on the right next season surely.

Busiest I've seen the covered End concourse this season and hopefully will see more of that next year.

Glad season is all but done and hopefully keep the no loss record next week and build a squad ASAP over the summer ready to give it a proper go from August next season.

We played 442 diamond in the first half, with Thomas at right back. Incidentally I still can't work out his strongest foot, as he played better last season in a 4 as a left back.