Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 20th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Hmm. It seems that at the very moment Curbs was going on about the value of loans of players from higher level clubs, NJ was telling Cawley that , in terms, he doesn’t like loans, he wants players who have signed up for the Project. On Twitter, most of the comments seemed right behind NJ on that. 

I’m not so sure. Curbs was citing Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher, JRS, and he could have added Maatsen to that list. Seems to me that nowadays a loan player with a good professional attitude is no different to a permanent signing over a season. The best example of that is surely Cullen vs. Taylor, both with us for two seasons…

But NJ is a Believer himself, he’s made that clear, and it may be something he brings into his management style. I guess that was a contributor to his success at Luton. 

One to watch…
    I have been very vociferous in the use of loan signings recently and have to say I agree with both Jones & Curbs.

Loans should be used sparingly & should be youngsters from Prem clubs that are known to be stars of the future. Look at Gallagher, Cullen and to a lesser extent JRS & Maatsen. All have now gone onto bigger & better things. Good scouts know who these "startlets" are & are not gambles. 

Loans should not be squad fillers that are signed up on deadline day just to use up your permitted quota. Players like Smith (all of them), Fiorini and his Man City chum we  p/exd him for are examples of players that we should have not even touched. 

• Options
    A couple of positives in the dross yesterday:

1) Our goal was gorgeous. Genuinely think that shows the potential of a May/Wickham partnership. They're still getting used to having Wickham there, but sign him up I say.

2) Ramsey and Small look genuine WB options. Ramsey made a huge difference in the 20 minutes at the start of the 2nd half where we actually played football

3) Genuinely think that could be the last I see of the keeper or any of the 3 CBs. None are good enough. Coventry's appalling effort to clear their goal will get the headlines, but symptomatic of a defence with no control of our box. Shockingness from set pieces has to start with the CBs and and keeper. I have no faith in them keeping goals out or the CBs making any contribution at our 'attacking' set pieces. And as for Isted's kamikaze charge out in the first half...

Roll on the summer clearout. Thanks May and Dobson for this season. The rest... aside from those mentioned above, Leaburn, and Kanu, you can't complain if you get shifted in the summer. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Redskin said:
    We've avoided the relegation that was predicted by many before the arrival of NJ.

We are 14 games undefeated.

To say that the standard of football is the worst that has ever been played at the The Valley is histrionic delusion.

Overall, the last few games have been as poor as they have been meaningless.

Demands of a complete overhaul of the squad are deluded as is the insistence/demand that reaching the playoffs is the minimum requirement of next season.
    Prepare yourselves for another season of third division football fare. See below.

There will be some signings of players with the ability to play at the level of a third division team.

If all this seems unpalatable and unacceptable to you, you have the right to never watch Charlton again. It does not, of course, deny you the right to bitch and moan about it all.
    I probably couldn’t disagree more with most of this post.

- 14 games unbeaten rings rather hollow when most of that run is made up of draws against pub teams

- The football really is absolutely abysmal and has been all season under a cavalcade of different managers. I don’t know if it’s the worst ever, but it can’t be far off it. It isn’t Jones fault, he’s making the best of what he’s got whereas Appleton wasn’t even doing that. 

- the playoffs absolutely need to be the minimum objective next season. Spending ~£10M on wages and finishing in the bottom half of the table is disgraceful. 
    I'm struggling to think of a worse season in all the time I've been watching the club.

Finishing near the bottom of the THIRD division. And even in the unbeaten run, the quality of the football has been painful to watch.
    Plus whereas last season we had the great cup game against Brighton and Man U, this season we were dumped out of the EFL cup at L2 Crawley, of the FA Cup at L2 Gillingham and held to a draw at The Valley by a pub team.

• Options
    Was I imagining it or did we play the first 20 mins with  no right sided wing back? Saw the line up that Small was playing right side and edun left but both were on left hand side and no one at all on right until after we conceded. Was this a bizarre deliberate tactic or complete lack of understanding?

First half didn't feel like many were desperately playing for a job with us next year and to be honest out of the players who started first half other than May, Dobson, Anderson and Small I wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest were cleared out this summer. (Would also keep Wickham as a battering ram Aneke type ans think Coventry will bed in over summer and show what his reputation is about next season).

Much better second half against a hoofball Shrewsbury and obviously Jones had put a rocket up them at half time. Aneke and Kanu did well and Ramsey is our starting number 2 on the right next season surely.

Busiest I've seen the covered End concourse this season and hopefully will see more of that next year.

Glad season is all but done and hopefully keep the no loss record next week and build a squad ASAP over the summer ready to give it a proper go from August next season.

We played 442 diamond in the first half, with Thomas at right back. Incidentally I still can't work out his strongest foot, as he played better last season in a 4 as a left back.
    Neither foot is stronger than the other, he simply can’t kick a ball 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought their 15 Sobowale was good. Sign him up. 
    I'd like us to stop signing players who impress against us and buy ones who play well against quality opposition.
    Well, quite. No point in judging a player on what they do against us as we're the one team they definitely wouldn't be playing against.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Shrewsbury missed two absolute sitters too, don't forget. Much easier chances than the one Anderson missed - and he definitely should've done better too.
    The flag was up for offside for the second one, so wouldn't have counted. Regardless it was an awful miss, as was the one in the first half.
    Do you sit in the East Stand?

Only a bloke behind me said that to his mate, but I thought the linesman was signalling for a goal kick , not offside.
    No was watching on the stream. Flag went up before he made contact with the ball. He was a good yard offside.
  • Options
    That was just shite. Can't be arsed to watch Wycombe as I expect more of the same.
    Thank God for Kentish cricket....

...oh.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I thought their 15 Sobowale was good. Sign him up. 
    I'd like us to stop signing players who impress against us and buy ones who play well against quality opposition.
    That of course is a very good point, and I wasn’t being entirely serious. 
    But a player like him could be looked at more closely -but not signed based on one performance against us, like Jaiyesimi seemed to be, for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gammon said:
    Think the major issue in the summer will be how easily can we move some of these players on? 

It's been the sticking point in most of our rebuilds of previous years. Stuck trying to sell our deadwood and unable to buy until they're gone. 
    But how many we want to move on are still in contract? McGrandles, Fraser and one of Isted/AMB. No others I don't think. 
    Add Edun and Watson to that list, neither are good enough. Not sure what's happened to L.Jones does N.Jones not rate him? Not convinced by Gillesphey and REG can't even get in the side ahead of the woeful Thomas so maybe Jones don't rate him either?
    REG injured? Think he was better than the rest when Ive seen him but that is damning with praise 
    Damning with faint praise?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hmm. It seems that at the very moment Curbs was going on about the value of loans of players from higher level clubs, NJ was telling Cawley that , in terms, he doesn’t like loans, he wants players who have signed up for the Project. On Twitter, most of the comments seemed right behind NJ on that. 

I’m not so sure. Curbs was citing Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher, JRS, and he could have added Maatsen to that list. Seems to me that nowadays a loan player with a good professional attitude is no different to a permanent signing over a season. The best example of that is surely Cullen vs. Taylor, both with us for two seasons…

But NJ is a Believer himself, he’s made that clear, and it may be something he brings into his management style. I guess that was a contributor to his success at Luton. 

One to watch…
    The problem is that for every Josh Cullen we have five terrible loan signings. The reason that you can cite, by name, the handful that have done well over the last several years is because a successful loan spell seems rare. 

I think we should only use loans to augment the squad, not as a key part of our recruitment strategy. 
    Is it that rare? Or is what’s rare, the state of the Charlton they joined? Most people didnt rate Maatsen but he joined a shitshow and look at him now. The others? They were not just good, they were stellar! Without Cullen and Bielik we would not have gone up. Without JRS, a relegation scrap. And don’t get me started again on what happened with Gallagher. Curbs argues that when we are in good shape as a club, the big boys are happy to lend us some of their best upcoming players, especially London clubs. Of course if we can recruit all the right players on perms, thats probably better, but that will be a big ask.
  • Options
    Sadly not untypical of CAFC, they were cruising for the first 10 minutes, albeit desperation stakes in midfield with Thomas and Hector both seeking 'perfection' long balls (with the still-conspicuous lack of a ball-carrying midfielder) when Isted sliced a casual clearance out of play. The Shrews never looked back after that in the first half, helped by 3 or 4 crass errors by our keeper including the chaos that led to their goal.
    Second half after Dobbo's goal and a couple of 'sitters' missed (again), there was only one likely winner had there been a late goal, and it wasn't us.
  • Options
    Drawing a line under this season is a good thing. Yes, a pitiful end with loads of draws, some excitement and some abject performances but Nathan did what he was asked... It wasn't pretty but with these players he delivered a tiny miracle.

Moving on the next few months will tell us how much weight he truly carries by who goes and who comes in. 

As many have said you would imagine he came with a list of demands and who can blame him after his spell at Southampton. He needs more than anyone to show other bigger clubs that he has what it takes to become a Premier league manager in the long run. 

We now have to trust that we see actions and not words, especially from the money men if we are to believe we can improve and get out of this dreadful league. 

Keep the faith. 

• Options
    Ideally the majority of players will be our own and not loans. While we’ve had a few successful loans in the last 5 years, the majority have been shite. You have to question why the parent club doesn’t want them, and then are they truly committed to CAFC.
  • Options
    Surprising that there has been virtually no comment about the pitch invasion......and the subsequent shenanigans of one of them as they tried to get back into the Covered End. 

Being in the AC stand I didnt get a great view but it seemed there was a woman & small baby in distress at the end. 

Anyone know if woman & child were ok ?
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Ideally the majority of players will be our own and not loans. While we’ve had a few successful loans in the last 5 years, the majority have been shite. You have to question why the parent club doesn’t want them, and then are they truly committed to CAFC.

Probably cynical I know,but the only thing the vast majority of players are committed to is enlarging their bank balance...🙄
  • Options
    Pure speculation by me but I wonder if some players have already been told that they are off soon? If Jones wants to get people in that's going to mean quite a few exits one way or another so perhaps a few are already eyeing the door?

Would possibly explain some of the more laissez-faire attitudes. Not that I agree with it, it doesn't seem very professional (to put it mildly) but as Powell's rebuild showed character is just as important as ability and rather lacking outside of a few key exceptions.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wonder if any of the big nob bullshitters apparently not in charge and not running the gaff, were still quaffing in the boardroom when Dobson equalised.
    Half the East Stand was still outside having a drink or a piss or both. Some didn’t return to their seats till 15 minutes after the restart. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please tell me it's over. At least I can be positive over the summer  looking forward to next season then.
  • Options

One to watch…
    NJ did say though that he’s not keen on loans unless he can get someone in who is significantly better than someone we can sign permanently and cited Dewsbury-Hall who he had on loan when at Luton. If someone of Rak-Saki’s quality were available I doubt he’d say no but he would to the Tedic’s and Fiorini’s of this world.
  • Options

One to watch…
    I have been very vociferous in the use of loan signings recently and have to say I agree with both Jones & Curbs.

Loans should be used sparingly & should be youngsters from Prem clubs that are known to be stars of the future. Look at Gallagher, Cullen and to a lesser extent JRS & Maatsen. All have now gone onto bigger & better things. Good scouts know who these "startlets" are & are not gambles. 

Loans should not be squad fillers that are signed up on deadline day just to use up your permitted quota. Players like Smith (all of them), Fiorini and his Man City chum we  p/exd him for are examples of players that we should have not even touched. 

don't forget Liam Miller- he was excellent
  • Options
    edited April 21
    If Conor Coventry is the future of our midfield, God help us.

According to many on CL, Coventry was better than Dobson before he had made his Cafc debut; same posters now slagging him off. West ham mates insider info apparently why he was so good ! I think Conor can turn into a decent league 1 player but he's no Dobbo.

TBF, I did say two years ago that Goulash George wanted to turn into a lower league Rice in pushing forward and scoring a few goals similar to Declan who spent seasons as a holding midfielder. when I said he could achieve this the split between Likes and LOL's were equal.
    It would be ironic if what George achieved yesterday with his good run and goal is the last time he plays at the valley for cafc.
    Not saying that he's a number 8 yet but he emulated one yesterday and has had near misses in many recent games.

It took three seasons to try to replace Albie Morgan FFS who has had a decent time at Blackpool with a few quality strikes. 

Anyone who thinks we can replace George Dobson easily in League 1 is the type that ring up football radio phone in's; mostly Clueless.
    We should bite the bullet and pay to keep Dobson and find the money from the wages of the man who thought George wasn't worth offering the best wage (along with Alfie ?)despite being our most consistent player over 3 seasons.

13 games unbeaten is a start but we have a mountain to climb even with the passionate Jones in charge. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

One to watch…
    The problem is that for every Josh Cullen we have five terrible loan signings. The reason that you can cite, by name, the handful that have done well over the last several years is because a successful loan spell seems rare. 

I think we should only use loans to augment the squad, not as a key part of our recruitment strategy. 
    Is it that rare? Or is what’s rare, the state of the Charlton they joined? Most people didnt rate Maatsen but he joined a shitshow and look at him now. The others? They were not just good, they were stellar! Without Cullen and Bielik we would not have gone up. Without JRS, a relegation scrap. And don’t get me started again on what happened with Gallagher. Curbs argues that when we are in good shape as a club, the big boys are happy to lend us some of their best upcoming players, especially London clubs. Of course if we can recruit all the right players on perms, thats probably better, but that will be a big ask.
    It’s pretty bloody rare. The players you listed are the exceptions rather than the rule. This is our record over the past five years:

Strong Contribution  

JRS

Famewo (2nd time)

Stockley

Gallagher

Cullen

Bielik

Purrington 

Limited contribution 

Camara

C. Campbell 

Louie Watson

Tedic

Bakinson

Fiorini

Ladapo

Sessengnon 

Kane

Penny

Kilkenny

Famewo (2nd time)

Lee

Arter

Leko

Castillo

Nile John

Burstow

Levitt

Maatsen

Shinnie

Smyth

Millar

Smith

Field

Kayal

Green

McGeady

Smith

Davis 

Steer

Ward

Maxwell

Odoh 

• Options
    edited April 21
    Same old shit. Let's keep convincing ourselves that "the manager" just needs this window to get his choice of players in. 

Charlton is broken sadly.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    .....🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited April 21
    .........🤔
  • Options
    The thing is about hope, we will get a good idea if we should have it before a ball is kicked next season.